Asking for Advice about UK Pension and NI

kuma
Veteran

Re: Asking for Advice about UK Pension and NI

Post by kuma »

taneandy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:11 am
Bushiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:54 am Hmmmm... Did something change in the rules?
I was only allowed to backpay 12 years 2 years ago (from 2018~2006)... I have another 3~4 years before that I'd love to pay off, but was not given the option... Can we now backpay more?
Sorry that's my mistake, 3 of those years are too late to make contributions so it's actually 13 years (11 years at 800.80/yr, 1 year at 780/yr, and 1 year at 292.60/yr)
If you get accepted for class 2 contributions are backpayments also possible at the same level?
At class 3 rates it doesn't seem worth paying all 13 years.
KyushuWoozy did a deep dive on this in 2018 and included the following notes regarding a period when the usual 6yr limit for back payments would be extended:
HMRC have extended the usual deadlines for making voluntary National Insurance contributions for the tax years from 2006-7 to 2015-16. You will have until 5 April 2023 to make the contributions.

The amount to be paid is as follows:

* If paid by 5 April 2019, the amount payable is the rate that applied in the 2012/13 tax year for the tax years 2006/07 to 2009/10 for Class 3 and 2006/07 to 2010/11 for Class 2.

* For the remaining years, up to and including 2015/16, higher rate provisions will not apply until 6 April 2019.

* If payment is made after 5 April 2019, the rates may have increased.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=238&p=2711&hilit=Voluntary#p2711
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Bushiman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:54 am
Hmmmm... Did something change in the rules?
I was only allowed to backpay 12 years 2 years ago (from 2018~2006)... I have another 3~4 years before that I'd love to pay off, but was not given the option... Can we now backpay more?
I was offered the chance to pay back 15 years, since 2006-2007. A very nice surprise.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
taneandy
Regular

Post by taneandy »

Unfortunately, as a result of missing that 5 April 2019 deadline it looks like I will probably have to make almost all back payments at the current rate rather than at the rate that would have applied at the time, which would have made them a more attractive option. Just have to make sure to sort things out by April 2023, which should be possible even allowing for the glacially slow reply speed of HMRC.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

taneandy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 am Unfortunately, as a result of missing that 5 April 2019 deadline it looks like I will probably have to make almost all back payments at the current rate rather than at the rate that would have applied at the time, which would have made them a more attractive option. Just have to make sure to sort things out by April 2023, which should be possible even allowing for the glacially slow reply speed of HMRC.
Apologies to dangle that historical info about favourable rates!

For what it’s worth, here’s the primary source, with no complications about a 2019 rates deadline:
https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-i ... /deadlines

I’ve updated the wiki.

The special deal for 2006-2016 is/was to protect people who were to be disadvantaged by the switch from the basic state pension to the new state pension.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Apologies for reviving this thread again.
I’ve finally got round to looking into applying for Class 2 voluntary U.K. pension contributions. I can see the form online I need to fill out (NI38).
Do I have to print it out and post it? Or can it be emailed somewhere? If so, where?
Thank you.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

KCLenny wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 am Apologies for reviving this thread again.
I’ve finally got round to looking into applying for Class 2 voluntary U.K. pension contributions. I can see the form online I need to fill out (NI38).
Do I have to print it out and post it? Or can it be emailed somewhere? If so, where?
Thank you.
It is written at the end of the CF83 form. Post only.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

beanhead wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:44 pm It is written at the end of the CF83 form. Post only.
Thanks for adding that info to the wiki :D
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

beanhead wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:44 pm It is written at the end of the CF83 form. Post only.
Okay cheers.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Sorry, another question.
What am I supposed to put for the “are you ordinarily resident in the uk” question? Initially I would have answered no, as I’m living in Japan and have done for 2 years, not returned to uk in that 2 year period, have no income from the uk, and no property or taxes to pay in the uk. But the form says the answer to the question is based on your status when you left the UK. So, 2 years ago when I left the uk, would I have been considered a uk ordinary resident? Or not because I just finished my life in the uk and moved to Japan?
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:57 am Sorry, another question.
What am I supposed to put for the “are you ordinarily resident in the uk” question? Initially I would have answered no, as I’m living in Japan and have done for 2 years, not returned to uk in that 2 year period, have no income from the uk, and no property or taxes to pay in the uk. But the form says the answer to the question is based on your status when you left the UK. So, 2 years ago when I left the uk, would I have been considered a uk ordinary resident? Or not because I just finished my life in the uk and moved to Japan?
Whole thread on this topic just 3~4posts below this one...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...