PR Application Denied - follow up meeting

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Tkydon
Sage

Re: PR Application Denied - follow up meeting

Post by Tkydon »

That is

"Foreign nationals who are the Spouse of a Japanese National, Spouse of Someone who is already a Permanent Resident, or Spouse of a Special Permanent Resident"

No other relationship...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

That's who the applicant is a spouse of, but it doesn't mention who the principal supporter is.
tbsmj

Post by tbsmj »

Does anyone know if this examination of the spouse's tax and nenkin record also applies to PR applications other than those related to marriage? Because this thread has me slightly worried.

I'm currently on an HSFP visa, and have been eligible to apply based on that for a while and dragging my feet to actually prepare and file the damn papers. Unrelatedly (or so I thought), I'm also getting married next month, and my soon-to-be wife has had a bit of a rough time on the job market during the pandemic, so might conceivably had a short gap in nenkin payments or otherwise; going from regular employment to unemployment to non-regular to something else again has been a headache. Could this become an issue with the PR application, even though I wouldn't apply as a spouse, am the higher earner of the two by a large margin, and my own tax and nenkin history is not at issue (being with the same employer for 10 years makes it easy)?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

tbsmj wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:34 pm
As far as I understand, if you apply via the HSFP route, your wife will not be involved unless you use her for your guarantor. For the guarantor, tax certificates are required, but not nenkin. There is a space on the application form to list family members and co-residents, but I don't think that will result in the need to submit any additional documents.

I think Nenkin documents of your wife are only required if you are a dependent of your wife (who would then be the "principal supporter"), not the other way around.

Also, the requirements tend to get more complex and stricter over time, so I'd apply as soon as possible, if I were you.
tbsmj

Post by tbsmj »

adamu wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 am
Good to know, thanks!
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

ExpatScot wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:16 am
OkiBum wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:59 am This might shed some light to your situation:
  • My wife applied for PR last year and had her application rejected. (I am a Japanese national through Naturalization)
  • We went to the immigration office to ask the reason for the rejection.
  • A senior officer took out the time to meet us and was quite polite.
Reason: Late payment for Nenkin.

My wife while changing jobs had missed one month of Nenkin payment a year earlier.
We made the payment for that one month after like 10 months or so. Didn't think it would come to bite us later.
We explained the situation and that it was a honest mistake and if we could appeal the decision. He said even if we were to appeal the decision, it would most likely not change.

His advice: The late payment shows in the system for 2 or 3 years. (I can't remember correctly). He said to wait it out and then apply for PR so that the late payment is out of their system.

We are in the waiting phase at the moment.

Let us know how your talk with the Immigration officer goes. Good Luck!
Thanks to everyone for the advice. After going to the immigration office yesterday the reason given for rejection was exactly the same as OkiBum said above, my wife had paid her nenkin late a couple of times in the last 2 years. She only paid one or two days late both times as she was waiting for her salary to come through but that was seemingly reason enough. Anyway, if we still want to go for PR, we'll just have to wait about 2 years till that is off her record.

If anyone is interested, the actual meeting with the immigration staff wasn't really a meeting at all, he just gave us the reason for why we were rejected over the counter, it took about 2 mins. We actually went there with an immigration lawyer (cost 11,000) as my wife wanted to make sure she got all the details correct. He was a nice guy and gave us some good advice but probably wasn't really necessary for such a simple case, he did however put my wife at ease which was my main reason for inviting him.
Oh so it's 2 years and not 3. I had forgotten which one it was, now I can mark my calendar as to when we can reapply for her. Good luck to you as well!
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

good luck to you getting it sorted out.. dont know if system has changed ,but when i got it(around 15yrs-18yrs ago) i think there was a quota for each area.has this gone now??arent many foreigners where i am so when i went to renew my visa was actually offered the PR.(had to fill out a form and that was it)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

bryanc wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:10 am around 15yrs-18yrs ago
You don't have to estimate the time, it's written on the card that you have to carry with you at all times 😜
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

18yrs it was!