Best budgeting app?

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
MajesticSoup
Regular

Re: Best budgeting app?

Post by MajesticSoup »

I tried the latest version of YNAB and it is great. However, after 2-3 months I realized I'm not actually putting any effort into using it as a way to budget--I already live sufficiently modestly that there was very little to cut. Using the help was what made me realize it, though, so it wasn't at all wasteful. Kind of steep at 1300 yen a month too.
jcherni
Regular

Post by jcherni »

For the actual expenses, I use MoneyTree because it simply records everything.
Since I rarely ever use cash, 99% of my expenses appear in the app, so it is very useful.

For budgeting (how much money I can use per month), I just use Excel.
Never found any app that can do what I need.

I'm am now able to calculate my salary and bonuses to the last yen, by excluding the taxes, etc.
I even got to calculate my exact Resident Tax for this year (ngl, I was really happy when I was finally able to nail it down XD)

Since I know exactly how much money is going to enter, I know exactly how much I can use (respecting my monthly investment target).

But I have been doing this for a while, and in times of COVID I have only basically the fixed expenses, so basically I know how much I can use even without looking at my spreadsheet. So recording/calculating the numbers there is more like a hobby now :)
Tokyo Money

Post by Tokyo Money »

Actually, I only use cash when I really have to. For example, all my local doctors will only take cash, so for those few transactions Money Tree is enough because you can enter cash transactions by yourself if you have to. For now I will continue with Money Tree and an excel spreadsheet for budgeting. Definitely going to try Gnucash out during the winter break, I'm weirdly looking forward to it. I seem to have a new hobby, being a money geek :lol:
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I started with Gnucash - I put a year of data into it to get a good idea of my spending, but for daily use I found YNAB 4 much better, it's really a shame they don't sell it any more. Someone even wrote a downloader to make the old client work on 64-bit macs: https://gitlab.com/bradleymiller/Y64 (but you still need a licence...).

Here are the official old client downloads: https://www.youneedabudget.com/ynab-classic-help/

Getting a spreadsheet set up would be a good project though, for a rainy day... probably will take a typhoon though 😄

If you have a good experience with Gnucash, let us know. It's been a good few years since I last checked it out.
MajesticSoup
Regular

Post by MajesticSoup »

Anyone know of a good spreadsheet template? Or maybe I shouldnt think too hard and just make one myself
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

MajesticSoup wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:38 am Anyone know of a good spreadsheet template? Or maybe I shouldnt think too hard and just make one myself
I just redid my 'future financial projections' spreadsheet.

Enjoyed reworking it and now it pleases me with its increased simplicity and relevance.

Can't imagine something someone else made matching your situation perfectly. Maybe have a go at making one -you might find it easier than you think or at least it will give you an idea of what you need in a premade one :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
jcherni
Regular

Post by jcherni »

MajesticSoup wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:38 am Anyone know of a good spreadsheet template? Or maybe I shouldnt think too hard and just make one myself
It is not so hard as you'd think. Do is on steps and eventually you will have a very powerful spreadsheet.

I started with the basics, first with past data from the Money Tree app:
- Fixed expenses: Rent, Electricity, Water, Gas, Phone, Internet, Gym, etc.
- Variable Expenses: My credit card bill minus whatever is paid by credit card within the above (I almost never use cash, so this is a rather accurate number)
- Monthly Salary

This already gives you a good view of your money flow.

Then some time later I decided to break down the variable expenses in food and "others", etc. So I could start cutting whatever unnecessary costs I had.

Eventually I decided to start calculating my semiannual bonus, so I could know home much I would invest of it.
And so on.
unagipants69

Post by unagipants69 »

Me: gnucash mobile
Wife: Kakei

Consolidated into the PC version of gnucash at the end of each month.
abeltoy

Post by abeltoy »

I use the new version of YNAB.

While great (I love inputting expenses manually as it makes me very aware of how we use the money), they decided to increase the subscription costs, and they stopped grandfathering in old users (which means my subscription costs have basically doubled). Unfortunately, I'm too used to the YNAB-way of budgeting, so switching sounds like a pain. I'll be on the look out for alternatives.

But honestly it's great. Zero-based budgets really fit my way of thinking, and there are basically no surprises when it comes to pay bills, etc. I also know how much we can spend when we go out, or if we have trips, or whether I should wait to get a new oven or can already buy it (still on the waiting phase).