Negative home loan rates

qwe
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Negative home loan rates

Post by qwe »

I have been accepted (仮審査) for a home load at .475%. However, I have found that other loans online are as low as .310%

Does anyone have any advice?

Further, I have heard that it is possible to get home loans with negative interest rates. Has anyone heard about this?
mighty58
Veteran

Re: Negative home loan rates

Post by mighty58 »

If all things are equal, then by all means go for the lowest rate.
Rates cannot be looked at in isolation though, they must be considered with context, i.e the type of mortgage (variable rate, semi-fixed, or fixed) and the term. Those low rates you quote are likely monthly variable rates. Remember to factor in insurance, as well as fees, and flexibility (i.e. for early payment or refinancing) and then you can finally start comparing apples to apples.

And no, there is no such thing as a negative rate mortgage.
Ori
Veteran

Post by Ori »

qwe wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:06 pm I have been accepted (仮審査) for a home load at .475%. However, I have found that other loans online are as low as .310%
Does anyone have any advice?
\

In order to get those rates you need to put in 20% or more downpayment.
Furthermore, as I've recently found out, the cheapest banks like Aeon, SBI, Paypay have bad insurance (the 3-, 7-, 11-dai type one). It requires to stay in hospital for 6 month for the insurance to kick in, what is extremely unlikely, as average stay in hospital for those illnesses is 30 days. Other banks' insurance requires being unable to work for 12 months, which is more reasonable.
qwe wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:06 pm Further, I have heard that it is possible to get home loans with negative interest rates. Has anyone heard about this?
That would be nice, wouldn't it? :lol:
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

qwe wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:06 pmFurther, I have heard that it is possible to get home loans with negative interest rates. Has anyone heard about this?
Are you sure you're not confusing home loan interest rates with central bank policy rates? Those have dipped into negative interest rates in recent times.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

If you count the tax break, you do pay negative interest for 10 years (depending on how much your loan is, its possible you come out ahead in the end).

Although there's rumors the NTA will crack down on this soon.
eagleyes
Regular

Post by eagleyes »

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:32 am If you count the tax break, you do pay negative interest for 10 years (depending on how much your loan is, its possible you come out ahead in the end).

Although there's rumors the NTA will crack down on this soon.
Yes there is growing momentum this week on that. It looks like the LDP is working on it to revise the system.
With very continuous low interest rates, there is high chances that people receive more money than what they pay in interest. This was not the intention of the policy.
I am not entirely clear on the new proposal but many people here will have to check the developments.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/8f369 ... a2225e1cc5