Tradestation + Monex vs. SBI - opinions sought!

gulogulo

Tradestation + Monex vs. SBI - opinions sought!

Post by gulogulo »

I've spent ages poring over threads here and reddit, trying to decide whether to go with Monex or SBI.

The former owns tradestation appears to be a plus. I have read multiple times here how the English IOS app is available. However, it appears that Tradestation itself does offer a web-based platform.

Has anyone actually successfully used it though with any of their NISA/Ideco or ordinary accounts to purchase US securities?

OTOH, looking at SBI (and the praise heaped on its UI compared to the other living fossils out there) plus getting a netbank account to feed it too is something I am considering. Don't particularly like the biometric BS required to get out of the 'rank 1' ghetto on the banking side, but I can live with the restrictions that would impose if I am just using that account to feed the brokerage account.

So I have still not made a decision and looking for a nudge. It seems that eyeballing the number of threads, SBI gets more attention. An account that would let me create bracket (OCO) orders would be ideal. But at the very least something with easy stop management. (Not going down the IBKR route though, before anyone suggests that). That's why monex with its tradestation access also appeals to me.

However, I am so so SO not looking forward to lying down on the gaijin Procrustean bed the financial institutions provide us and embarking on a months-long battle related to having a couple of middle names. Damn you, parents!!! No one name is longer than 7 nor less that 5 chars. No double-barrel hoops to negotiate, though. Dodged a bullet there it seems!

Maybe the institution that gives me the least grief wins? Who out of the two would that be?
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

Re: Tradestation + Monex vs. SBI - opinions sought!

Post by EmaxisSlim Cultist »

I have successfully used Tradestation with Monex to purchase US etfs. Both the website and App can be used in English. You can login through TradeStation main page to access the US interface.

Advice 1. Just sign-up for both. You will not be actively trading in the NISA or idea, just buying and holding. So it does not really matter which one holds those accounts. You will have two taxables either way.

Advice 2. Check to make sure they have the US ETFs or stocks you are interested in first. Just because you can search for it in Tradestation does not mean you can buy it. Check through SBI and Rakuten too.
gulogulo

Post by gulogulo »

EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am Advice 1. Just sign-up for both. You will not be actively trading in the NISA or idea, just buying and holding. So it does not really matter which one holds those accounts. You will have two taxables either way.

Advice 2. Check to make sure they have the US ETFs or stocks you are interested in first. Just because you can search for it in Tradestation does not mean you can buy it. Check through SBI and Rakuten too.
Thanks for confirming what i was hoping would be the case with the platform. What do you mean though by two taxables? I assumed that there would be one taxable account opened in addition to the 2 tax advantaged account (ideco and nisa).

I would love to see what US securities Monex allows. Would you happen to have such a url handy?
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

gulogulo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:58 pm
EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am Advice 1. Just sign-up for both. You will not be actively trading in the NISA or idea, just buying and holding. So it does not really matter which one holds those accounts. You will have two taxables either way.

Thanks for confirming what i was hoping would be the case with the platform. What do you mean though by two taxables? I assumed that there would be one taxable account opened in addition to the 2 tax advantaged account (ideco and nisa).

I would love to see what US securities Monex allows. Would you happen to have such a url handy?
Monex US STock/ETF search -> https://mst.monex.co.jp/mst/servlet/ITS ... bolListGST
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am I have successfully used Tradestation with Monex to purchase US etfs. Both the website and App can be used in English. You can login through TradeStation main page to access the US interface.
Would you happen to have a link for this "Tradestation main page" from which you can access the US interface using your Monex account credentials?
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

mighty58 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:07 pm
EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am I have successfully used Tradestation with Monex to purchase US etfs. Both the website and App can be used in English. You can login through TradeStation main page to access the US interface.
Would you happen to have a link for this "Tradestation main page" from which you can access the US interface using your Monex account credentials?
(Edit - This sounded snarky. I was going for funny. Apologies). -> https://www.tradestation.com/

Just go to login -> Client Centre.

I do not know why more people do not use it.
Last edited by EmaxisSlim Cultist on Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:47 am Here is the mysterious website of which I speak. -> https://www.tradestation.com/

Thanks, but just to clarify, are you using your Monex login credentials to get in, or something else? Because the former is not working for me.
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

mighty58 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:58 am
EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:47 am Here is the mysterious website of which I speak. -> https://www.tradestation.com/

Thanks, but just to clarify, are you using your Monex login credentials to get in, or something else? Because the former is not working for me.
Yes, I signed up through Monex. One-time password is setup with Google Vault.

Can you access Monex Tradestation Japanese version?
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:48 am Can you access Monex Tradestation Japanese version?
Yes, but as you might know, it's accessed via the 米国株 section after logging into Monex, so there's no separate login required. From what you've said though, I imagine there must actually be some sort of login going on in the background that as a user of the Japanese site I'm not seeing. Will look into it what those login details might be (as it's certainly not the Monex account login) ... thanks for the tip though!
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

mighty58 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:09 am
EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:48 am Can you access Monex Tradestation Japanese version?
Yes, but as you might know, it's accessed via the 米国株 section after logging into Monex, so there's no separate login required. From what you've said though, I imagine there must actually be some sort of login going on in the background that as a user of the Japanese site I'm not seeing. Will look into it what those login details might be (as it's certainly not the Monex account login) ... thanks for the tip though!
Are you signed up for the app? Which is also in English?

I believe going through that signup process will get you a Tradestation login. It's all the same company.

There is a guide on the website for the app, if you cannot find it I'll dig into my files. Let me know.