UK State Pension gov site challenges

Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: UK State Pension gov site challenges

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:28 am
beanhead wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:28 am Yeah, thanks. I had a Barclaycard when I came here, and a Natwest card as well. I didn't use them so did not renew. I wonder if they will issue a new card to someone living in Japan?
I changed my NatWest address to my sister's address and my newly issued cards now get sent there. She then tells me the new numbers on the front and back of the card over the phone (I don't need the physical card, as I only ever use them for online purchases).
Keeping an active UK bank account and having a cooperative family member who you can use for a UK correspondence address is really helpful not just for Gateway accounts for HMRC but also for investments in the UK and just recently I was able to renew my British driving licence relatively pain free because of the UK address.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:01 am I was able to renew my British driving licence relatively pain free because of the UK address.
Did you do it online or via the paper form? I know the online forms state that you must be a GB resident, so that's a grey area at least. They also refuse to post the paper D1 form abroad. There doesn't seem to be any official information from the DVLA/UK Gov about what happens to the licence of residents that move abroad. They only say that you must be a resident to renew online/change your address.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

adamu wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:29 pm
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:01 am I was able to renew my British driving licence relatively pain free because of the UK address.
Did you do it online or via the paper form? I know the online forms state that you must be a GB resident, so that's a grey area at least. They also refuse to post the paper D1 form abroad. There doesn't seem to be any official information from the DVLA/UK Gov about what happens to the licence of residents that move abroad. They only say that you must be a resident to renew online/change your address.
Online form and I was quite surprised how quick it was delivered to my mum's address. I have never changed the address on GB driving licence.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I let my UK DL expire when I saw I'd have to lie to renew it (and probably took all those warnings about the consequences of doing so too seriously).

It's been moderately annoying a couple of times not to have it, but nothing too major.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:17 pm I let my UK DL expire when I saw I'd have to lie to renew it (and probably took all those warnings about the consequences of doing so too seriously).
I'm similarly majime and will probably do the same. FWIW I think it's just the card that expires, not the actual licence. I bet you can get it back with an appropriately worded covering letter if you do return. Not sure though, due to the lack of official guidance. I'm guessing most people do what Wales did and just interpret the rules liberally with a help of a relative.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:17 pm I let my UK DL expire when I saw I'd have to lie to renew it (and probably took all those warnings about the consequences of doing so too seriously).

It's been moderately annoying a couple of times not to have it, but nothing too major.
So did I, but I think if you go back to live it is relatively easy to renew it then. At least, this is what they told me in an email at the time

'As you reside in Japan, I regret that we are unable to issue you with a further British licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

I can confirm that if or when you return to the UK as a resident you would be able to renew the licence, I can also confirm that you may drive on the Japanese licence for 12 months from date of entry to the country. The following information may also help.

To enable you to hire a vehicle in GB without your driving licence please ask the car hire company to contact us on the following number for confirmation of your driving licence record.

Telephone number 0906 139 3837

Just to be safe and make things easier when hiring cars, I have usually got an International permit here before I go on trips home. Has anyone here tried using J-licence when hiring cars in UK?
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:04 am they told me in an email
Wow nice info, thanks. Seems to confirm the GB licence is valid even without the card (although "may also help" makes me think that's just a general guideline for people that don't have their card, not for if the card has expired). It also seems to imply the licence is still valid even when "converted" to a JP licence. But again, it would be nice to have a primary source that states this stuff explicitly.

There is some info about this on the wiki, but I might update it with the info from your email.

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... t_of_Japan
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:04 am Has anyone here tried using J-licence when hiring cars in UK?
Yep, many times. Always made sure to get international DL issued here before we went.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:03 am
goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:04 am Has anyone here tried using J-licence when hiring cars in UK?
Yep, many times. Always made sure to get international DL issued here before we went.
That's what I do, but I'm wondering if I need bother with the International DL or whether the J-Licence alone will suffice.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:13 am That's what I do, but I'm wondering if I need bother with the International DL or whether the J-Licence alone will suffice.
My understanding is that as the Japanese license is not written in English (or in alphabet), it is not acceptable without an official translation (which is what the International Driving Permit provides).

Given how easy it is to get one, I wouldn't risk traveling without it.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)