LT British overseas resident and UK NHS cover

NaganoMan

LT British overseas resident and UK NHS cover

Post by NaganoMan »

Hi, I have recently been contacted by the NHS in the UK (via my parents) to update my contact information. I have been living overseas for over 25 years and am wondering whether I am still eligible for NHS cover when I return to the UK for holidays or do I need to take out travel insurance? Does anybody have this experience or could you please advise.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: LT British overseas resident and UK NHS cover

Post by RetireJapan »

I found this leaflet that seems to say 'no'.

https://www.essexlmc.org.uk/wp-content/ ... tizens.pdf
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TBS

Post by TBS »

There is an entry on the wiki suggesting it might be possible in Scotland: Eligibility for NHS treatment.

The conditions from the linked pamphlet are:
If you work anywhere outside the UK you can get health care from the NHS in Scotland if you lived in the UK legally for more than 10 years before moving abroad, and:
- you have worked abroad for less than five years, or
- you have worked abroad for five years or more, and:
- you have come back to the UK for a visit at least once every two years, or
- your contract of employment allows you to visit the UK at least once every two years, or
- your employer will pay for the cost of your return to the UK at the end of your contract.
The pandemic will not have helped many who would have otherwise qualified via points 2&3.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

TBS wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:35 pm There is an entry on the wiki suggesting it might be possible in Scotland: Eligibility for NHS treatment.

The conditions from the linked pamphlet are:
If you work anywhere outside the UK you can get health care from the NHS in Scotland if you lived in the UK legally for more than 10 years before moving abroad, and:
- you have worked abroad for less than five years, or
- you have worked abroad for five years or more, and:
- you have come back to the UK for a visit at least once every two years, or
- your contract of employment allows you to visit the UK at least once every two years, or
- your employer will pay for the cost of your return to the UK at the end of your contract.
The pandemic will not have helped many who would have otherwise qualified via points 2&3.

Yes, I was back in Scotland in early 2020 but am not particularly keen to go back anytime soon, so may lose qualification. TBH, I remember visiting Scotland after several years abroad in the early 2000s and being treated no questions asked. It also didn’t occur to me that any questions would be asked. Whether attitudes and enforcement have changed in the NHS, I don’t know.
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

Sorry, this is a really long-winded way of answering NO:

=======
Anyone who is deemed to be ordinarily resident in the UK is entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. ‘Ordinarily resident’ is a common law concept interpreted by the House of Lords in 1982 as someone who is living lawfully in the UK voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled.

Anyone who is not ordinarily resident in the UK is subject to the ‘National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 2011, as amended’. Nationality or past or present payments of UK taxes and National Insurance contributions are not taken into consideration when establishing residence.

Under these Regulations, there is an exemption whereby anyone who is taking up permanent residence in the UK is entitled to free NHS care. If your intention is to live permanently in the UK, you will be exempt from hospital charges from the date of your arrival in the country but you should expect to be asked to prove your intention and that you are legally entitled to live here. Examples of evidence could include:

- documentation to prove you are entitled to live in the UK such as a British Passport; and

- documentation that proves your intention is to reside here permanently such as sale of goods/property overseas, receipts showing shipping of goods and application for benefits.
=======
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Seems like no although in practice I don't know how likely it is that hospitals would ask/bill you for treatment.

Seems worth buying travel insurance or at least making sure you are covered by credit card insurance or something.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:23 am England.
England and Scotland are completely separate systems. The NHS in Scotland is devolved, so may have different eligibility requirements as mentioned earlier.
NaganoMan

Post by NaganoMan »

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input and insight. Looks like I will take out travel insurance when I go back for holidays.
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

This thread reminds me that I claimed medical expenses incurred abroad at my local city hall under Japanese NHS. Can't remember if my claim was successful but they definitely have a form (in English and Japanese) for the overseas doctor to sign. I've heard from others that not all cities allow this and I've no idea about the regulations.

Anyone have more details?
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:34 am This thread reminds me that I claimed medical expenses incurred abroad at my local city hall under Japanese NHS. Can't remember if my claim was successful but they definitely have a form (in English and Japanese) for the overseas doctor to sign. I've heard from others that not all cities allow this and I've no idea about the regulations.

Anyone have more details?
Just did a quick search, and it seems each municipality has their own website about this. One example: https://www.city.komatsu.lg.jp/soshiki/ ... /3209.html

Seems to be just for treatments that are covered in Japan, and travelling for the purpose of receiving medical treatment is specifically excluded. So basically to cover people who fell ill or had an accident abroad I guess. Probably won't cover the full cost, but might help in some cases.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)