Apply for class 3 contributions UK pension

beanhead
Sage

Re: Apply for class 3 contributions UK pension

Post by beanhead »

fools_gold wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:23 am
This sounds about right. I checked into my Government Gateway account yesterday
That is just showing off! :shock:
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Hi there. I looked into my potential UK pension pot a while ago, via the Government website. I barely worked in the UK before moving to Japan, but I still have 3yrs’ of contributions that, as far as I understand it, is the minimum needed to add to it via Class 2 or 3 contributions. However, these 3yrs were comprised mainly of credits (mostly from signing on for benefits) and apparently these aren’t counted towards the min 3yrs contributions. I received a rather cut and dried mail from the UK government pension folk informing me this means I’m not entitled to any UK pension. No info on what I might be able to do to change that (such as returning to work in the UK to get the min 3 years under my belt). Rather a specific (and long!) post I know, but by any chance has anyone Brit out there had a similar experience? Any advice, or am I really up the proverbial creek without a paddle?!
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

JimmyK wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 am Hi there. I looked into my potential UK pension pot a while ago, via the Government website. I barely worked in the UK before moving to Japan, but I still have 3yrs’ of contributions that, as far as I understand it, is the minimum needed to add to it via Class 2 or 3 contributions. However, these 3yrs were comprised mainly of credits (mostly from signing on for benefits) and apparently these aren’t counted towards the min 3yrs contributions. I received a rather cut and dried mail from the UK government pension folk informing me this means I’m not entitled to any UK pension. No info on what I might be able to do to change that (such as returning to work in the UK to get the min 3 years under my belt). Rather a specific (and long!) post I know, but by any chance has anyone Brit out there had a similar experience? Any advice, or am I really up the proverbial creek without a paddle?!
Did you send off this form in the link below?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... broad-ni38

From your post, I am not sure if you did that or simply asked about your current entitlement based on your contributions so far. If the latter, then the answer you got would make sense as you need at least ten years of contributions to build up any entitlement. If you have sent off form CF83 (in the link) and they said no based on your lack of paid contributions, I would try sending the form again, the rules appear to have changed and now just three years of residence in the U.K. seems to be enough to enable you to pay NICs from overseas.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

JimmyK wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 am by any chance has anyone Brit out there had a similar experience? Any advice, or am I really up the proverbial creek without a paddle?!
Hi. I was rejected from paying anything because apparently I didn’t meet the criteria. I emailed the government minister in charge of HMRC to complain. After about 3-4 months, I received an email from an efficient complaints manager at HMRC who sorted me out with class 2.

So worth sending the form off first. If you get rejected, try emailing the government minister in charge.

Good luck! Took me, all in all, about 2 years to get it all sorted. I nearly gave up several times but am so glad I persevered.
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

Gareth wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:58 pm
JimmyK wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 am by any chance has anyone Brit out there had a similar experience? Any advice, or am I really up the proverbial creek without a paddle?!
Hi. I was rejected from paying anything because apparently I didn’t meet the criteria. I emailed the government minister in charge of HMRC to complain. After about 3-4 months, I received an email from an efficient complaints manager at HMRC who sorted me out with class 2.

So worth sending the form off first. If you get rejected, try emailing the government minister in charge.

Good luck! Took me, all in all, about 2 years to get it all sorted. I nearly gave up several times but am so glad I persevered.
+1
I wrote a letter not emailed, but same outcome...
Took about a year total perhaps for everything to be sorted and payments made...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

sorry ,but who is the person in charge/gov minister who needs to be contacted about this?
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

bryanc wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:25 am sorry ,but who is the person in charge/gov minister who needs to be contacted about this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Revenue_and_Customs
looks like Lucy Frazer.

email address here:
https://www.lucyfrazer.org.uk/
"That guy"
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Of course, the more random expats contact the Minister in charge, the more likely it is that they will decide to close this loophole altogether ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:45 am Of course, the more random expats contact the Minister in charge, the more likely it is that they will decide to close this loophole altogether ;)
Unless you take them out to sushi in Ginza.

*goes back to reading Private Eye*
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

bryanc wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:25 am sorry ,but who is the person in charge/gov minister who needs to be contacted about this?
I wrote my letter to the guy who signed his name at the bottom of my first rejection letter outlining all the reasons why I shouldn't be rejected.
That worked for me...
RetireJapan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:45 am Of course, the more random expats contact the Minister in charge, the more likely it is that they will decide to close this loophole altogether ;)
Better not!?
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...