Apply for class 3 contributions UK pension

bryanc
Veteran

Re: Apply for class 3 contributions UK pension

Post by bryanc »

do they give you a list of the reasons why they reject you for class 2?
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

bryanc wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:29 am do they give you a list of the reasons why they reject you for class 2?
Sure do/did...
Bushiman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:27 am Here is a little update to my situation from earlier in this thread...
Bushiman wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:17 am Well, I got my reply back from HMRC... And it is most bizarre...

For a start, I was born, raised, studied in the UK for 21 consecutive years...
And when I check my NICs online I get this:

I was born in the 1980s so it looks like I should meet both conditions fully!?

I guess I'll be giving HMRC a call ASAP to ask what the fffffffudge is going on....
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Thanks. Yes, I wrote to them and received a reply in the post. Rejected for class 2 and 3. Given the limited contributions I’ve made, I know I’m on thin ice, but it sounds like it might be worth trying again and maybe escalate to someone more senior.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

JimmyK wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:53 am Thanks. Yes, I wrote to them and received a reply in the post. Rejected for class 2 and 3. Given the limited contributions I’ve made, I know I’m on thin ice, but it sounds like it might be worth trying again and maybe escalate to someone more senior.
You said you sent off the form a while ago. Worthwhile sending it again I think, from my reading of the rules there is no longer any requirement to have paid a certain amount of contributions, residence in the U.K. for three years is enough.
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

That’s very similar to the rejection letter I received! In my case, I had lived in the UK for a sufficient number of years. I also have the min 3yrs’ contributions required to be able add to them via either Class 2, or 3. What I was told is that the 3yrs I have don’t count as they were largely comprised of credits (i.e. whilst signing on). I couldn’t find any info that says 3yrs of credits don’t count. Furthermore, there was no direction, or advice as to what (if anything) I can do to rectify the situation. For example, return to the UK and complete a few years of work before retirement, thus paying some contributions. A bit extreme, but at least that might’ve been something they could’ve suggested. Case closed as far as HMRC is concerned. It’s as though they thought I was merely curious about my pension possibilities, as opposed to me genuinely wanting to receive something in the future. It’s rather like me pointing out it’s rainy and that I’d like umbrella and being told, ‘Sorry. You aren’t entitled to an umbrella.’ Ok. Thanks. I guess there’s nothing we can do. I’ll just have to get wet then! I think I/we just have to keep pushing back and exhaust all avenues (including getting through to more senior level HMRC folk) and hope to turn it around. Might need to dig in for as long as 2yrs if others’ experience is anything to go by...
jonnyd
Regular

Post by jonnyd »

Hi everyone,

I'd like to update you all on the outcome and thank you all for the help. So I waited around 2 months or so and they got back to me at my friends address in the UK. I am allowed to pay back NI contributions for class 3, not class 2. I never worked in the UK before leaving and was a student, so I guess that's why. The good thing, I guess for a guy who thought he would never get a pension is that they let me back pay from 2006 at 800 pounds a year. So I can backpay close to 15 years of NI in one go. I'm 44 now so if I I work till 65 which I guess is normal I will get a full UK pension. Doing the math I think I have to pay them 11200 pounds or something similar in a lump sum before april. Before I do that they ask me to check if it will increase my pension, and it's my job to find that out first. Does anyone know what they are talking about regarding this?
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

They mean that in some cases paying voluntary contributions may not actually increase your pension, for example if you have already racked up enough contributing years to get a full pension, or if you already have 25 years and paying 15 more will give you five too many.

In your case, it’s not an issue. Given your age, I am guessing you will have three years of ‘complimentary’ contributions for the years in your late teens, and nothing else. So paying the 15 years should take you to 18 and allow you to stop, barring rule changes, in your early 60s. About checking that the contributions will increase your pension, I have read bits and pieces on here about that so hopefully someone can advise what, if anything, you need to do.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

jonnyd wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:10 pm Hi everyone,

I'd like to update you all on the outcome and thank you all for the help. So I waited around 2 months or so and they got back to me at my friends address in the UK. I am allowed to pay back NI contributions for class 3, not class 2. I never worked in the UK before leaving and was a student, so I guess that's why. The good thing, I guess for a guy who thought he would never get a pension is that they let me back pay from 2006 at 800 pounds a year. So I can backpay close to 15 years of NI in one go. I'm 44 now so if I I work till 65 which I guess is normal I will get a full UK pension. Doing the math I think I have to pay them 11200 pounds or something similar in a lump sum before april. Before I do that they ask me to check if it will increase my pension, and it's my job to find that out first. Does anyone know what they are talking about regarding this?
Yes, it means you need a forecast from DWP before they will let you make the payments.
It is covered on the wiki entry about UK State Pension:

https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/United_Kingd ... te_Pension
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
jonnyd
Regular

Post by jonnyd »

So I was given a reference number and sent off the bank transfer of 15 years, it was around 12.000 pounds. But now they say it's not been credited to my account yet, but how long will it take to be credited?
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

jonnyd wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 am So I was given a reference number and sent off the bank transfer of 15 years, it was around 12.000 pounds. But now they say it's not been credited to my account yet, but how long will it take to be credited?
Months.
Give it 3-4 months and if it is not reflected then, either on Gateway or by calling them, then write them a letter. They respond to letters, eventually.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.