Apply for class 3 contributions UK pension

jonnyd
Regular

Re: Apply for class 3 contributions UK pension

Post by jonnyd »

Months!!!!! Arghh does it really take that long?
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

jonnyd wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:10 pm Months!!!!! Arghh does it really take that long?
When I backpaid 12 years of class 2 I did so on January 4 and it was allocated correctly on Feb 25, but I had to make a phone call in between and found they had received he money but hadn't bothered allocating it until I called. Worth making a phone call if it doesn't show up soon.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

jonnyd wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:10 pm Months!!!!! Arghh does it really take that long?
I called the DWP.
The pre-recorded message actually says "If you are calling to enquire about payments to HMRC for your state pension, please note that it can take up to 12 weeks (or 14 weeks?) for these to be reflected on your record" or words to that effect.

But as noted elsewhere, even if you make the payments with the correct identifiers in the bank transfer, they still seem to not allocate them on a regular basis.
If concerned, call HMRC.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Just a quick confirmation on current CF83 application processing time: about five months.

Details: I phoned last night on 44 300 200 3500 on behalf of my Japanese wife, and waited about 10 minutes to be put through. I had sent her CF83 applying for Class 2 backpayment on 23rd August 2021. After asking my wife some security questions (NI Number, name, DOB and address), the HMRC person told me that the application had been actioned successfully on 21st January, and the details were on their way to us.

As an aside, I was slightly surprised that Class 2 had been accepted (even though I asked for it on the form) because my wife wasn't working in the UK immediately before we left. However, we explained that she had stopped working in order to look after our newborn, and had been claiming child benefit until we left, so that seemed to do it.

Now I'll have to wait another few months for the backpayment to be processed :D
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Not specifically about class 3 but about the waiting times etc

I applied for class 2 (I think…whichever was the cheaper one), last year back in august or September. Using the HMRC app, I could that they received in October, and then it had an expected response time for sometime in November. Since that date has now passed…that part on the app has disappeared and there’s now no record of them having done anything about it. I’ve had no letters, there’s no reference number, nothing on there at all to say they’ve accepted or rejected or are processing it still.

What do I need to do? If anyone suggests calling, is there a way to do so for the absolute cheapest option possible as I really don’t think I can afford an hour+ long call to the UK. at the standard rate.
Attachments
C95B7A68-DB1D-469B-8425-DE2C0292918E.png
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

KCLenny wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:34 am If anyone suggests calling, is there a way to do so for the absolute cheapest option possible as I really don’t think I can afford an hour+ long call to the UK. at the standard rate.
Skype lets you call for about 1 yen a minute. I loaded a couple of dollars into my account a few years ago and basically still have almost all of it after calling HMRC at least a dozen times.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:32 am
KCLenny wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:34 am If anyone suggests calling, is there a way to do so for the absolute cheapest option possible as I really don’t think I can afford an hour+ long call to the UK. at the standard rate.
Skype lets you call for about 1 yen a minute. I loaded a couple of dollars into my account a few years ago and basically still have almost all of it after calling HMRC at least a dozen times.
They sometimes offer a free initial month as well on various plans.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:32 am
Same. I think I charge mine with 1000 yen once a year or so.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
imaginatorium
Regular

Post by imaginatorium »

Aside... I mean nothing to do with pensions, but to do with HMRC. Last August I tried to sell some certificated shares to a friend (by arrangement; there appears to be no way at all of selling them directly). I followed the instructions on the HMRC website for stamp duty: I paid the duty of £15 to their bank account, and sent an email to the address they gave. I got no response. I sent another copy about September. I got no response. So I sent another copy from a gmail address, in case they blocked my address since they don't know what it is. Of course I got no response. Fifteen quid is not worth making a big fuss over, yet this does not seem right. Are they dishonest or incompetent?
Brian Chandler
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan
https://imaginatorium.com
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

so got rejected for the class 2 -letter stated
may i explain that to be entitled to class 2 have to be normally employed or self employed in uk and employed or self employed overseas in period applying for .examination of nat insurance records shows sparseNI record and would not be consider as normally employed whilst in uk,

can apply for class 3 rate though...

presuming not worth appealing!???

did take exactly 14 weeks!