UK State Pension HMRC Site - Forecast required years calculation

JimmyK
Regular

Re: UK State Pension HMRC Site - Forecast required years calculation

Post by JimmyK »

Thanks bryanc. Provides me with some hope at least. I first contacted HMRC a couple of years back and they told me then that the 3yrs I’d built up don’t all count as 3yrs contributions. Some were contributions made when I was employed, but much of that 3yrs was made up of credits (through unemployment benefits I think), which evidently don’t count in the same way as contributions. Result was that I’m not entitled to either class 2, or 3. That was disappointing enough, but there was also no guidance provided as to what I could do (if anything) to rectify the situation. Case closed as far as they were concerned. I recently did a ‘future pension forecast’ on the HMRC website and it showed I would be entitled to something if, between now and official retirement age, I added to the 3yrs I’ve already accrued. Maybe their own system isn’t sensitive enough to distinguish between credits and contributions? Anyway, having seen that I decided to have another bash at it. Called them up and eventually got through to someone at Future pensions, gave them my details, they pulled up the figures and said I should be able to claim at least class 3 and told me to fill in the appropriate form and send it in. Did that yesterday and await a response, which I was told could take up to 14 wks! Still no guarantee they won’t reject my claim again, but with class 2 almost impossible I think, I’d bite their hand off even for the GBP800 or so a year that class 3 costs!
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Yes, that’s right. Despite having the min 3yrs contributions, I was rejected for class 2 and 3. Reason I was given was that much of this 3yr period was comprised of credits. What I’ve been unable to find is any info anywhere that explains why credits aren’t counted the same as contributions. The HMRC rejection letter I received didn’t provide that either. If there is no such info anywhere (better still, if I can find something official that says 3yrs is 3yrs, regardless of how much is comprised of credits) then I might have a greater chance of pushing back. If it’s possible for someone to at least get class 3 with no contributions (or credits) then perhaps there’s hope. Filling in the form and sending it to HMRC is necessary, but if I get another rejection letter with the same reason we’re back to square 1! As with any process of this nature, I suspect that in the end it’ll be necessary to get through on the phone to someone in a position of authority, who is able to explain things, listen to concerns and questions, provide advice and options and make decisions. It’s easier said than done to reach this point. Sorry to drag this out, but the case continues...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

JimmyK wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:34 am I might have a greater chance of pushing back.
From what I have seen here on the forum, rather than trying to make an argument, just keep sending the form in again over and over again, and someone will approve it eventually :lol:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:38 am
JimmyK wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:34 am I might have a greater chance of pushing back.
From what I have seen here on the forum, rather than trying to make an argument, just keep sending the form in again over and over again, and someone will approve it eventually :lol:
Indeed, as I said and linked to on the other thread, the rules seem to have changed in the past three years. When I applied in 2018 there was definitely a requirement to have paid three years of contributions to qualify. This is no longer the case, three years of residence is enough. From the current guidance:

You can pay Class 3 NICs abroad if:
• you’ve paid Class 1 NICs for the first 52 weeks of your
employment abroad
• you satisfy either of the following conditions
– you’ve lived in the UK for a continuous 3-year period at any time before the period for which NICs are to be paid*
– before you went abroad, you paid a set amount in NICs for 3 years or more - this will be checked when you ask to pay Class 3 NICs*
*If you’ve lived and worked in an EU, EEA country, Switzerland or in Turkey, your time spent there may help you to meet
this condition.

Send the form again.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

I've had to pay 37 'Full years' of contributions (plus another 3x 'Year is not full'). I wrote to ask why and over 2 months later they sent a standard letter saying that that office were unable to comment on the number of years and suggested voluntary contributions, which is what I'd been paying. For the price of Class 2 it wasn't worth pursuing further.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

banders wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:02 am I've had to pay 37 'Full years' of contributions (plus another 3x 'Year is not full'). I wrote to ask why and over 2 months later they sent a standard letter saying that that office were unable to comment on the number of years and suggested voluntary contributions, which is what I'd been paying. For the price of Class 2 it wasn't worth pursuing further.
37 years? That makes no sense. The full pension is available if you have paid in for 35 years (or even 30 years for older folks born in the 1950s)

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

beanhead wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:54 am
banders wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:02 am I've had to pay 37 'Full years' of contributions (plus another 3x 'Year is not full'). I wrote to ask why and over 2 months later they sent a standard letter saying that that office were unable to comment on the number of years and suggested voluntary contributions, which is what I'd been paying. For the price of Class 2 it wasn't worth pursuing further.
37 years? That makes no sense.
This 37 years figure came up on Moneymatters' pension forecast recently too

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2011
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

adamu wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:54 am This 37 years figure came up on Moneymatters' pension forecast recently too
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2011
That's the point of this thread...
JimmyK
Regular

Post by JimmyK »

Thanks all. I already posted the form in the other day, with nothing to lose in doing so. Interesting that rules regarding number of years’ contributions have changed since 2018. That was the year I tried last time and was knocked back, so perhaps I should be more optimistic now. I lived in the UK for more than 3 consecutive years before leaving for Japan many moons ago (and before making my pension claim). That’s the only one of the criteria I meet, so everything rests on that! I’ll give these posts a rest now. Sorry for the repetition and many thanks to everyone who weighed in with advice. Really appreciate it, whatever the final outcome.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

banders wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:17 am
adamu wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:54 am This 37 years figure came up on Moneymatters' pension forecast recently too
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2011
That's the point of this thread...
Ah, apologies. I clearly wasn't paying attention.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.