EV Charging Port Parking Lot

Gulliver
Veteran

EV Charging Port Parking Lot

Post by Gulliver »

I’ve been trying to come up with some options to monetize a recently acquired piece of property (approx. 30 min by car to Tokyo).

With Japan’s recent pledge to move toward 100% electrification of its vehicles, I wanted to posit the viability of turning the plot into a Solar EV charging station/parking lot.

The plot could probably fit around 10 cars and the plan includes having 1 to 5 spaces with self contained solar charging ports. The other spaces would be for gasoline powered vehicles. As the need arises more spaces would be converted to EV.

Perusing the web I’ve been astonished by the advancements in EV technology. Especially when it comes to charging. Take this company, for example (just one of many so you can get an idea): https://beamforall.com/product/ev-arc-2020/
Their units has can be set up with no construction, no electrical work, and have no utility bill.

A business plan might include the normal income from the already exorbitant public parking prices coupled with an additional exorbitantly priced fee for using the charging port (possibly some kind of membership plan). Add to that some juicy tax incentives (a quick look online comes up with a 10% tax credit for energy efficient businesses). I’m guessing there are additional incentives already in place or forthcoming.

What’s more, I wouldn’t be surprised if I could convince the local bureaucrats to award me a contact to keep the place running (this kind of thing looks great for reelection campaigns or if you’re trying to get noticed by your boss for submitting good ideas). It’s always best if you can get the government to pay you to do business, instead of the other way around!

Unfortunately, without a crystal ball it’s impossible to know how quickly or efficiently the government’s plan will be rolled out. Either way, I figured the topic would be pertinent, if not prescient, in light of the recent fossil fuel market woes.

Please feel free to add any ideas, or tear down the premise as you see fit.
captainspoke
Sage

Re: EV Charging Port Parking Lot

Post by captainspoke »

Gulliver wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:57 am... piece of property (approx. 30 min by car to Tokyo).
For general location, I guess that's there as a kind of identifier. But if it's meant to define its possible appeal, then I can't see the attraction. People don't drive into tokyo. It'd be better if the property was "x-minutes walk" from a major station (and closer = better), which people who live farther away could drive to, leaving their car there to train it into town.

Along with that, it would seem to follow from your description of self-contained solar charging that for charging, vehicles would be parked there (would need to be parked there) during the day--not left overnight and then during the day driven into tokyo.

I'm not an EV driver, nor an expert on it, but my general impression is that most buyers also set up charging at home, and take advantage of low overnight rates. (same as with hot water and some heating systems in all-denka homes)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

We live in a manshon, and it doesn't have any charging options now. I can see this being attractive if it were in the neighbourhood (and depending on the pricing being somewhat competitive, of course). That would be for a monthly rental.

For coin parking it's going to depend what is nearby and whether you can get local business to give their customers 'free' parking by paying you for it I guess?

My impression is that parking lots don't really make money in Japan, they are just a way of avoiding the higher taxes on unbuilt on land and maybe tax write-offs :?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Copyleft

Post by Copyleft »

Perusing the web I’ve been astonished by the advancements in EV technology. Especially when it comes to charging. Take this company, for example (just one of many so you can get an idea): https://beamforall.com/product/ev-arc-2020/
Their units has can be set up with no construction, no electrical work, and have no utility bill.
some points you need consider:
Probably you need earth rod, this units i think they claim isn’t necessary earth...i dont know how this unit handle with fault conditions, install earth rod is simple.
I think youll need anchor bolt this units in concrete, directly to asphalt its a no no, some sealers claim they have anchor for asphalt but in real world this dont work.
Maybe youll need JIS/PSE mark to use it in Japan.
The charger seller i think show their specs in perfect conditions use, 24/7 365 days of Sun, dont care about forecast etc, I think youll need some electricity to use this chargers for business.
Wish your best at your business.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

One of the things I should’ve added to the goals of this brainstorming effort is that I am seeking the project to be scalable (increasing scope/value over time) over the next 30 years (the time frame the Government gives for 100% EV conversion), as opposed to building a residential structure which only seems to lose value here over 30 years.

You’re probably correct about the and feasibility of this particular model due to seismic compliance problems- but this is the exact type of discussion I wanted to have. (Also remember that model is just an example I wanted to put up showcasing the multitude of options now available for charging stations).

Keep the critiques/ideas coming.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Gulliver wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:32 am One of the things I should’ve added to the goals of this brainstorming effort is that I am seeking the project to be scalable (increasing scope/value over time) over the next 30 years (the time frame the Government gives for 100% EV conversion), as opposed to building a residential structure which only seems to lose value here over 30 years.

You’re probably correct about the and feasibility of this particular model due to seismic compliance problems- but this is the exact type of discussion I wanted to have. (Also remember that model is just an example I wanted to put up showcasing the multitude of options now available for charging stations).

Keep the critiques/ideas coming.
It is possible that energy production be transformed within the next 30 years, so that electricity becomes free or nearly free. Alternatively, commercial car parks (shops/supermarkets/shopping centres) may offer free charging as a perk to attract customers.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
eagleyes
Regular

Post by eagleyes »

I think it is a good plan.
Just an idea also: maybe you could investigate renting 2 or 3 spaces to car sharing companies such as Times or Orix or Careco. It is a good way to gain awareness for your space and attract people. It all depends on the location of course.
I have no idea if that is possible. I imagine that they will impose their conditions but worth exploring.
Don't forget to put some vending machines.

Cheers
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

Firstly, I think this is a great idea and expect many Coin Parking places will have EV charging bays soon if not already.
Whether you are a vendor/builder of just visiting a ungrateful relative. Bening able to charge in a residential area will be a boon to EV adoption.

When I go to visit the in-laws, they don't have a spare space, so I'm stuck with coin parking and I'd want to charge my future EV car (whilst I'm helping father in law reverse whatever latest horror he's inflicted upon the family PC.... If that PC could talk man.. But I digress.)

You probably aren't satisfying a customer need with trickle charging (unless these are monthly parking bays for people that live or maybe work nearby) and the cost of have batteries for off-grid fast charging would be crippling, along with the fact the batteries won't replensih in time for your next customer anyway.

So why not scrap that and just install regular high speed chargers as that's what people will want/expect. Use an energy provider that allows you to sign up to a zero carbon contract for commercial purposes. Surely that meets your goals without massive initial investment.

I wonder how you get on whatever App EV owners use to find spaces.

Now. How about planting at least a few trees between the spaces? For Joni.. Maybe something that only has branches above 2.5+ metres.
"That guy"
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

Someone told me today that Japan is heavily subsidizing the purchase of an electric vehicle. She said 500,000 could go up to 700,000-800,000. I’m not sure if what she says is true, but it does seem like Japan is pushing heavily towards electric.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

JimNasium wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:52 am Someone told me today that Japan is heavily subsidizing the purchase of an electric vehicle. She said 500,000 could go up to 700,000-800,000. I’m not sure if what she says is true, but it does seem like Japan is pushing heavily towards electric.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automo ... and-Europe

Bonus in the last sentence of the introductory paragraph: "and subsidize charging infrastructure as Tokyo looks to catch up with other major advanced economies."

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)