UK/Japanese dual citizenship

JimmyK
Regular

UK/Japanese dual citizenship

Post by JimmyK »

Hi there. There might already be a post on the forum covering this topic, but I couldn’t find one. Apologies if so.
I’m a UK national married to a Japanese and living in Japan. We have 2 children, the eldest of whom will turn 18 this summer. Both were born here and both hold Japanese and UK passports. With Japan having just declared a lowering of the age of consent from 20 to 18, I believe he now has until age 20 (2 yrs beyond age of consent) to choose either Japanese, or UK citizenship. The UK recognizes dual citizenship, but Japan does not. Also, I’ve read that Japan’s rejection of dual citizenship may not apply where dual citizenship ‘naturally’ occurs, as is the case in my example. So, my questions are,

1. Would my son have to formerly declare his intention to accept Japanese citizenship and renounce his UK citizenship, or would this happen automatically upon reaching 20yrs of age? We are likely to still be living in Japan at that time.
2. Given that the UK recognizes dual citizenship, would it make most sense to accept Japanese citizenship when faced with the decision to do so? In other words, would that effectively ensure my son is considered a Japanese and a UK citizen from the point of view of UK law? As far as passport renewal is concerned, even in declaring Japanese citizenship over UK, I presume my children can still continue to renew their UK passports? I don’t see how Japanese authorities could prevent that, since it falls under UK law. On the other hand, if they were to renounce Japanese citizenship (in favour of UK citizenship) they would obviously be unable to obtain/renew their Japanese passports.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but it’s a tricky situation that I’m not entirely clear on.
JimmyK
Regular

Re: UK/Japanese dual citizenship

Post by JimmyK »

Sorry! I mistakenly referred to age of consent, when I should’ve said age of majority.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

My understanding of this issue is that the Japanese government chooses not to notice people born with two or more nationalities if they fail to give one up.

They do need to 'choose' Japan on reaching 20, and should be truthful when filling out official forms (I think the passport application form has a box for 'I have another citizenship') but at least so far the government here has never taken any action to penalise a naturally born dual citizen. I believe there are millions of them.

The situation is sadly not the same for people who gain another citizenship by choice (like I would be if I naturalized).

Anyone else?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Unlike US citizenship with its tax reporting and financial constraints, there is no real drawback to having UK citizenship.

Just be aware that UK citizens born abroad (like me) cannot pass on UK citizenship if their own children are born abroad. I didn't know this until the embassy in Tokyo told me when I got married ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

JimmyK wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:22 pm... I believe he now has until age 20 (2 yrs beyond age of consent) to choose either Japanese, or UK citizenship. ...
I've yet to hear of any concrete instance where a child who was born into two nationalities has 'had to choose.' IMO, it's all smoke and mirrors.

There is no necessity to choose. Our two are now 28 and 32 and have never had any pressure to choose. And I think the older one just renewed their j-passport.

There's a question on the passport form, a checkbox, that asks if you have another citizenship/passport. Just check it (indicating you do have one, which is the honest answer), and if asked just say you need more time, that you haven't made up your mind yet.

If you doubt this, then get a new j-passport now, before this pseudo deadline (damage it somehow?). This dual citizenship issue only comes up at the passport office, so a new passport will give you ten years before this issue/question comes up again.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:49 pm Just be aware that UK citizens born abroad (like me) cannot pass on UK citizenship if their own children are born abroad. I didn't know this until the embassy in Tokyo told me when I got married ;)
Not automatically by law, but you can still register them as citizens with approval of the home secretary.
captainspoke wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:06 am IMO, it's all smoke and mirrors. There is no necessity to choose.
It is the law though, so I think it would be possible for a clampdown if the politics changed in the future. According to the law, the minister of justice can issue an ultimatum to people who have not chosen, and revoke their Japanese nationality within 1 month if they do not reply. However, there is no automatic loss of Japanese nationality for people that "choose" Japanese then fail to give up their other citizenship - so you can just do that.

There is a clause that says you must "endeavor" (努める) to give up the foreign nationality, the interpretation of which could also be subject to change.
runmanTX
Regular

Post by runmanTX »

Although not from the UK, this has always been a concern of mine. I had planned to have both my children (US and Japan dual citizens) just "choose" Japan and not give up their USA citizenship. I don't believe the USA forces us to choose a side. Only Japan has this stipulation. I could be wrong, though.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

AFAIK this whole issue only becomes relevant if you become famous enough or powerful enough for people to care. The only instances where its been enforced that I've seen was with Renho the politician and her dual Taiwanese citizenship and Osaka Naomi where they made her choose Japanese (with no proof she gave up her US citizenship). So yeah, for 99.99% of us, it won't matter unless the politicians decide it does.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

glad i came across this-i was just about to post the below..

my dual citizenship son has reached age of 20..we live in japan...is there anything we need to do to keep japanese nationality as it is?do we have to go to the town office and fill out the 国籍選択届 nationality choice notification or can we just do nothing and continue on?

presume that we can just continue on our merry way without doing anything??
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Your son needs to fill out the choice of nationality. Choose Japan and then don't get around to renouncing the other one. If asked officially, admit to having it (for passport, etc.) as lying on official forms is a crime. Probably won't be any enforcement.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)