J-Nisa Reminder

EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

J-Nisa Reminder

Post by EmaxisSlim Cultist »

2022 is the second to last year you can use these accounts.

80 man yearly allocation.

What is everyone buying? How aggressive is your J-Nisa structured?

100% Emaxis-Slim ALL Country this year.

(2021 and 2022 saw 40% growth). I am hoping just 4 years total is enough to fund his education.

Damn shame this program is closing. Nothing to replace it.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: J-Nisa Reminder

Post by RetireJapan »

Eeek! I had been under the impression J-NISA ended at the end of this year. We have another two years of contributions???

Ugh. We have three grandkids that we are contributing to -maxed out last year, planning to max out this year, but wasn't expecting to have to do next year as well :shock:

100% eMaxis Slim All-country, of course. I'm hoping they will keep the investments until retirement, which would make them relatively comfortable even if they didn't continue to contribute themselves.

My eldest grandkid is nine, and has 4.6m right now in their J-NISA.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Will also be trying to max out the J-NISA this year and next.
Mostly All-Country, with a bit of S&P500 and maybe one cheap dividend stock to teach a little them about stock-owning.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Andy.
Regular

Post by Andy. »

Same for me: 100% emaxis All Country for my three kids. I have bit of fun with some individual stocks in my NISA, but don't mess around with theirs! Unfortunately, I only found out about J-NISA last year, but will max them out for the full 3 years (2021, 2022 and 2023) and see how it all turns out in about 15 years' time when they get to uni age!
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Just welcomed a third child.

Time to set up J-NISAs for all three and get two years of contributions in.

Which provider are people going with for the EMaxis All Country? Does it need a linked parental account or just the kiddies' accounts? Any tips on opening? (Sorry, prob an easy research click away, but drowning in other paperwork and childly excretions at the mo.)

On the road to getting no. 3 yuucho ginko-d up.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

kuma wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:31 am
Which provider are people going with for the EMaxis All Country? Does it need a linked parental account or just the kiddies' accounts? Any tips on opening? (Sorry, prob an easy research click away, but drowning in other paperwork and childly excretions at the mo.)

On the road to getting no. 3 yuucho ginko-d up.
Congratulations.

We use Rakuten.
Child accounts have to applied for from a parent's account, and you have to prove they are your kid. Koseki touhon was needed, I think.
Because of this and potential naming problems, we applied from my wife's account. And yes, fund the Rakuten shoken account from the child's post office account. It is pretty simple for Japan and financial stuff.
Last edited by beanhead on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Thank you!

I think I gave up opening a Rakuten account in the past because of name issues, so enlisting the wife might be the way forward.

Then there's the matter of conjouring up the cash to take advantage of the J-NISA allowances ;-)

But one step at a time. Doing what we can when we can appears to be a sensible strategy exemplified and encouraged by many on this forum.

No. 3's hanko arrived at the same time as your reply. Onwards; upwards!
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

kuma wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:43 am
Then there's the matter of conjouring up the cash to take advantage of the J-NISA allowances ;-)
Bank of Grandma and Grandpa seems to be a common strategy. See RJ's post above :o
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Yucho->Rakuten. Dead easy

The bank account take 30 minutes (With the family registry)

J-Nisa took 4-6 weeks. (He has a Japanese name, Kanji, no middle name)

My sons account is connected to my account, not his mothers. No issue at all.

Why Yucho? I cannot predict where we/he will live in the future. There are Postbanks everywhere in Japan.

Rakuten for convenience. No loyalty. It could have been Monex or SBI.

Top tip -> We also give relatives the option to donate to his taxable account of J-Nisa if they want to give a gift. (Kids have too many toys).

My brother for instance insisted on Vanguard over Emaxis slim for my son. :lol: