Electronic Fax Options

glimmer
Regular

Electronic Fax Options

Post by glimmer »

I typically use the German app PamFax on occasions where I'm obligated to send a fax. The prices are very reasonable, I believe $0.12/page. I believe that Pamfax uses Skype as a backbone to offer such cheap prices. The biggest distinguisher with other efax services is most require a monthly subscription fee, but Pamfax offers a pay as you go service as you long as you buy around $10 worth of credit.

A local Japanese government office requires me to send a fax and I forgot that Pamfax also works internationally. But I tried twice and both times it failed. Yes, I could go to Conbini but the fax is over 30 pages, and at ¥50/page that will be ¥1,500 for 1 fax, which seems mottanai, especially over the long term.

So my question is, does anyone know of an efax service that works in Japan where one can upload a PDF and it will fax for you at a reasonable rate, ideally without a monthly subscription? There must be tons of these services considering how prevalent fax is in this country. Thank you!
imaginatorium
Regular

Re: Electronic Fax Options

Post by imaginatorium »

We used to use a service ("J2 EFAX PLUS") that cost 1500 yen a month, for faxing orders to our wholesaler, and missing piece requests to jigsaw puzzle manufacturers. Then one of the frustrations was services with 0120 numbers (free!!!), which of course you can't access, so it meant a trip to the konbini.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I bought an Epson office multifunction printer EW-M660FT which has a fax function, and I use that. The printer is very economical, because you buy the ink in bottles; it reduced our monthly printing costs to about 10% of what they used to be. I still haven't worked out how to fax from the network, though, so I print then scan. We live in a crazy world...
Brian Chandler
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan
https://imaginatorium.com
glimmer
Regular

Re: Electronic Fax Options

Post by glimmer »

Appreciate the recommendation for J2 FAX PLUS, will keep it in mind. I wouldn't mind a subscription if I needed to fax every day, but that's not my case. Yeah, absurd how a toll free # is not accessible. I think I cannot call toll free #'s with Skype.

I used to have a multifunction back in the day, but I don't have a landline at home. And I work at a shared office, where they can receive fax but not send. I guess I'll ask a friend to send from their office. Thanks!