Declaring Furusato nozei with the new e-tax system

Hiroshi

Declaring Furusato nozei with the new e-tax system

Post by Hiroshi »

Hello,
First time for me to NOT use the onestop system, and to have to make a 確定申告。
The only item I have to declare in 確定申告 is the furusatonozei.

Starting this year, the furusatonozei (I'll shorten it to "FN" from here) providers can provide an XML containing the details of all your contributions.
It seems also possible, if you link them (via the 電子ポーストprovider, Nomura...) to your マイナポータル, to input automatically your 確定申告 from these data (without the need to download the XML).
I created the マイナポータル account, and linked everything together as indicated (pretty clearly) in the Rakuten FN site : https://event.rakuten.co.jp/furusato/my ... eturn_flow
Everything went pretty smooth, no errors and confirmation mails properly received.

Then I go to eTax, but when I click on the "read data" button, it tells me "no data available", despite having correctly (I hope) requested data creation from Rakuten FN, and even downloaded the XML from the service provider (Nomura).

That's where I am.
Anybody has tried this "fully automatic" way ?
Would love to hear about your experience.

PS -- Well, I may have the answer to my own question ... just noticed that the eTax for 2021 won't be opened until 16/FEB. Stupid me.
I'll keep updating on the last part of the quest.

Thanks to reading up to that point.
Gareth
Veteran

Re: Declaring Furusato nozei with the new e-tax system

Post by Gareth »

I did my tax return online yesterday. Used the XML file for my furusato nozei. Worked fine for me.

Not sure what to suggest other than re-downloading the file and trying again
Hiroshi

Post by Hiroshi »

Gareth wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:22 am I did my tax return online yesterday. Used the XML file for my furusato nozei. Worked fine for me.

Thanks. So it's working even before 16/FEB ? (That date was indicated on the Rakuten page). Will retry it.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Gareth wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:22 am I did my tax return online yesterday. Used the XML file for my furusato nozei. Worked fine for me.

I think they are talking about using My Number Portal to avoid the need for even the XML file.

Did mine in January but entered the details manually from the certificates...
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

adamu wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:46 am
Did mine in January but entered the details manually from the certificates...
Yeah at first I didn’t understand what the file was for. Even I can add a number in a box. But when it populated all the info needed, I realised.
adamu wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:46 am
Did mine in January
Show off!!
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

It's that time of year again!

I have been doing kakutei shinkoku for some years to report futures income (and losses sometimes!) using the paper submission, but having obtained a MyNumber card, and with my spouse now doing furusato nozei as well as myself, I thought it is now time to figure out this e-Tax thing. I had always ignored it until now because it said one would need an IC card reader so I thought it wasn't for me.

Alas I imagine it will take me more time to learn how to use e-Tax than it would take me to do the old manual entry kakutei shinkoku, but at least now it seems this way one can eliminate the need to print out the kakutei shinkoku and submit it to the tax office physically, so this looks like a decent long term investment of time. (These days one doesn't need to submit physical futures trading statements either, so I believe I can do what I need to report with e-Tax, online.)

When doing my furusato nozeis last week on New Year's Eve at Rakuten, I saw that they were offering this xml data option for certificates, but not wanting to think about that on 12/31, skipped it and went for the usual paper certificates, but if I can figure out how to use e-Tax now I will definitely go the xml data route next time around.

I had been reading this to get the overall picture:
https://furunavi.jp/discovery/knowledge/202211-etax/

That link from Rakuten (where I did all my donations) looks good:
https://event.rakuten.co.jp/furusato/my ... eturn_flow
It also says they are revising the page on Jan 17, so I should probably delay my study of e-Tax until then.
(As an aside, I like that link they have to display one's donation list: https://event.rakuten.co.jp/furusato/mypage/order/)

The NTA's kakutei shinkoku page is also talking about how data can be automatically entered now, by using one's MyNumber card. I guess the manual data entry was a decent amount of the time I was spending to do kakutei shinkoku each year, so this might be a nice productivity gain?

Since I have this other stuff to include in my kakutei shinkoku, I want to hopefully do all the data entry via proper computer, and then somehow do just the submission via smartphone (assuming that's how I will be able to do that part using my MyNumber card).

If anyone has any more tips for Rakuten furusato nozei users submitting kakutei shinkoku in 2023 would be interested to learn!
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I did it last year with e-Tax, but by typing in the numbers from the certificates.

I will try the XML file this year, but I'm waiting for some other paperwork before I get started.
sutebayashi wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:28 pm It also says they are revising the page on Jan 17, so I should probably delay my study of e-Tax until then.
I requested mine a few days ago, and it's now available to download.
sutebayashi wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:28 pm I want to hopefully do all the data entry via proper computer, and then somehow do just the submission via smartphone (assuming that's how I will be able to do that part using my MyNumber card).
The way it works (if you can get it to work...) is to scan a QR code from your phone, use your phone to read the IC card, and that'll log you in on the computer. What I've found last year is that you can actually prepare the whole thing without the card, and "export" the data. Then when you want to do the real thing, load the data back in and submit it with the card. My memory is fuzzy though 😶‍🌫️
adamu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:16 pm The NTA's kakutei shinkoku page is also talking about how data can be automatically entered now, by using one's MyNumber card. I guess the manual data entry was a decent amount of the time I was spending to do kakutei shinkoku each year, so this might be a nice productivity gain?
I believe in order for this to work, you have to link each service (rakuten.co.jp's post box in this case) to Myna Portal. Which is probably more effort than just downloading the file, and uploading it again to eTax. It might be worth doing if it works for subsequent years too, though.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Thanks adamu, your recollection was basically the same as my experience so far.

So, the Rakuten link above was updated on the 17th I guess, and I applied to get the "寄附金控除証明書" issued a few days back, and I got an email telling me my certificate data was ready, today.

Next step, I tried to set up the マイナポータル連携, mentioned in the Rakuten explanations. For the first time I learnt of (yet another) component of this convoluted set up, the e-私書箱. The "寄附金控除証明書" certificate that Rakuten issued turns up in this e-私書箱.

Since the Rakuten site was saying that the マイナポータル連携 would be convenient, I gave it a shot. The furusato nozei data that Rakuten issues turns up in your e-私書箱, and it is possible to link your e-私書箱 with My Number Portal and feed the data to your kakutei shinkoku application.

This e-私書箱 was a little bit annoying, because I could only get it all registered and set up by using my smartphone. When I tried to do it on my laptop, the e-私書箱 website complained that I didn't have all the required specs, namely the My Number Portal application not being installed. Yeah, because I only installed that on my smartphone... So, after thinking I could do it on my PC, it seems I could only set up e-私書箱 via my smartphone too. A little confusing, but ok.

So, having set it all up, I couldn't immediately again find the place in the kakutei shinkoku system where there is a button to load in data, using the マイナポータル連携 that I went to the bother of setting up. (I already starting preparing my kakutei shinkoku data a few days ago, but at the time when I tried to pull data in via マイナポータル連携 I could not find anything.)

I am sure I could find this button again if I look for it, but honestly it is dead easy to just save the "寄附金控除証明書" as xml data from the e-私書箱 , and load it directly into kakutei shinkoku page. This method was not at all difficult or confusing!

I guess in future the マイナポータル連携 may get beefed up more, and some other types of data like life insurance certificates might also become available through there. So maybe there could be some economies of scale from using it. But for this year, I don't find much bang for my time for having set up the マイナポータル連携.

Overall, the whole system is confusing and unfriendly to the end user. It seems designed based on how the tax agency / government people think about things, rather than the tax payer - who wants a simple straightforward experience. But at least the tax agency is trying to become more digital, and e-Tax with my number card and smart phone reader at least seems like it will make paper submissions a thing of the past.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

adamu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:16 pm I believe in order for this to work, you have to link each service (rakuten.co.jp's post box in this case) to Myna Portal.
sutebayashi wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:39 pm For the first time I learnt of (yet another) component of this convoluted set up, the e-私書箱.
---
adamu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:16 pm Which is probably more effort than just downloading the file, and uploading it again to eTax.
sutebayashi wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:39 pm I am sure I could find this button again if I look for it, but honestly it is dead easy to just save the "寄附金控除証明書" as xml data from the e-私書箱 , and load it directly into kakutei shinkoku page. This method was not at all difficult or confusing!
---
adamu wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:16 pm It might be worth doing if it works for subsequent years too, though.
sutebayashi wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:39 pm I guess in future the マイナポータル連携 may get beefed up more, and some other types of data like life insurance certificates might also become available through there. So maybe there could be some economies of scale from using it.
I'm not sure if it was worth me writing it for you to re-live the exact same process anyway, but thanks for confirming 😄. I'll also be trying it out for the second time soon, maybe next week.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

Lol I kind of missed your last paragraph (the thing about logging into the PC by scanning a code and my number card by smartphone was what grabbed my imagination most), but rest assured, it doesn’t seem like much will be different from last year :)