Likely the cheapest mobile phone contract

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
regular
Regular

Re: Likely the cheapest mobile phone contract

Post by regular »

Petronius wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:02 am Then get Rakuten Mobile contracts
unlimited free calls and free until 1Gb
As far as I understand, iijmio esim is data only.
I need to make 7-8 minute phone calls, without using dedicated app.
I have a pixel phone with SIM + esim. Is it possible to use one for data, 1GB is enough, and the other for voice only?

If yes, please suggest which carrier/MVNO to use.

Even if it is not possible to use one sim for data and the other for voice only, which carrier/MVNO is better to use with up to 1GB data, now that Rakuten is no longer free + up to 10 min voice calls or kakehodai plans, or for up to 100 minutes worth of voice calls per month in addition to upto 1GB data?

I found several companies offering Data at 3GB level at the least, which is overkill for my needs.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

No you can't use time limited points to pay off your credit card. There is a convoluted way to use it to pay off your electricity bill through Rakuten Energy but the easy way would be to just use Rakuten Pay and use your points from there.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

i also changed my son over to iijmio...
want to change my contract now to them as well as its very cheap..however ,it seems they do not have data plans for overseas use..
how do people get aroud this issue?
JimNasium
Veteran

Post by JimNasium »

bryanc wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:26 am i also changed my son over to iijmio...
want to change my contract now to them as well as its very cheap..however ,it seems they do not have data plans for overseas use..
When I travel overseas I just use wi-fi when I can. But I have some friends who rent a SIM card for their phone.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

bryanc wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:26 am i also changed my son over to iijmio...
Depending on the length of my trip, I usually buy a local SIM card.
Its quite easy and affordable to purchase a short term tourist SIM in most countries.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

ok-thanks-but doesnt it mean you cant use your line apps etc/phone no?
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

bryanc wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:51 am ok-thanks-but doesnt it mean you cant use your line apps etc/phone no?
Since mid-2020, I have had only 1 trip in last December.
But, speaking from experience of that trip and numerous others before covid times, I have had no problem with Line, Whatsapp and VIBER by changing my sim card to local numbers in multiple countries in South East Asia, South America and Europe.
(goes without saying that I use a sim-free phone set, not tied to any provider)
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

thanks-my question was unclear.. if you are using a sim card from a provider then change to a different sim card when going overseas,presumably this causes line acct issues was what i wanted to ask
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

bryanc wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:01 am thanks-my question was unclear.. if you are using a sim card from a provider then change to a different sim card when going overseas,presumably this causes line acct issues was what i wanted to ask
I've been in Canada and used a local SIM card while I was here. No issues with LINE, WhatsApp, or similar.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

bryanc wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:01 am thanks-my question was unclear.. if you are using a sim card from a provider then change to a different sim card when going overseas,presumably this causes line acct issues was what i wanted to ask
Yes, there is a potential problem if your accounts are tied to your phone number.
Solutions:
1) change the settings to user name/password - easiest
2) port your WhatsApp over to the new number and then move it back again when you come back - not recommended.
Not sure about Line but WhatsApp asks you if you want to do this if you put in a different SIM card.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.