Older house/Renovation/purchase

Ori
Veteran

Re: Older house/Renovation/purchase

Post by Ori »

captainspoke wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:43 am
Ori wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:28 am
Bubblegun wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:05 am I often wonder what the definition is Slightly used means in Japan.
For me around 20 years is slightly used.LOL although in Japan I expect its, last week.LOL.
Around 0-5 yrs I'd say.
Many foreigners (including myself) start house hunting thinking that they are smarter than "stupid" Japanese and will make a great deal buying a 15-25 yrs old house for a price of a land and will have a comfortable life there. Well, Japanese are not stupid and prefer new houses for a simple reason that typical Japanese house is not build to last and furthermore, Japanese building standards (particularly, insulation) were much worse in the past (and are still not great).
Also, that's when stuff around the house, like water heater starts breaking, roof and wall maintenance are needed etc. Often, buying a prefab house or building an inexpensive custom house is a better deal.
I disagree. @Bubblegun--reread my post on the first page. We didn't think we were smarter, we just thought a house would be nice. We had only the faintest glimmer that it was old enough that we were only buying it for the price of the land. We hadn't even looked at many places, and this one just seemed good enough. Price, rather than condition, was the major factor.

We've thought about moving, or rather I have. The main problem with most any house I look at is the kitchens--and this is especially true with any new house on the market. It's depressing--houses that might be acceptable in most other ways have kitchens that look like they were designed/laid out by someone who has never cooked, let alone spent any time in one.

A kitchen should be "U" shaped--and the sink, the stove, and the refrigerator should form a triangle--and no two of them should be in a line. One common fault of pre-made (new) houses is a giant sink (wow! :roll: ) and almost no counter space to prep anything. https://i.imgur.com/lrdlWXA.jpg <--To get that kind of kitchen in a new house, it'd have to be architect-designed, and even if they understood and got it right (ha!), the budget would be creaking and about to break. And that's a kitchen in a 55-year old house. (It should have been a deep bay window, more shelf space, instead of what's there.)

One positive I see is that your wife seems okay with an older house. One negative, is that you don't have any DIY background. But youtube is your friend, a great resource.
Main problem with any Japanese house is not a kitchen, it is insulation. It is an elephant in the room no one seem to talk about in this thread.
Japanese houses are super cold at winter. Yes, one can install all kind of heaters everywhere, but it would be very expensive to heat up the whole house, not only a living room and a bedroom. The hallways, toilets, bathroom are freezing. The air is dry (yes, one can turn on humidifier and then fight condensation and mold on the windows).
Nowadays they are building so called 高気密高断熱 - high insulation high air-tightness - houses, which are much more pleasant to live in. And they are not much more expensive than regular houses, or could be even cheaper, if go through a koumuten or Ichijo.
Another problem with Japanese houses is their love of sliding doors everywhere. This is a f...g nightmare. They make so much noise which spreads through the wooden floors and walls, that it is impossible to open a door at night without waking up someone.

If buying used I would say look for 高気密高断熱 (but there are very few of them on the market) or have a full understanding of what are you getting into.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

The hunt continues. We've narrowed it down to a certain area, so that limits the choices.

I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me about this brown that seems to be on many houses.
Here are a couple of pics of two houses build at the exact same time.
As you can see its around building, and It seems to come off as a dust. My initial thought is its rust, oxidation, and has anyone had experience with this and if so, what did you? if anything. Is this something to be worried about? is it something easily fixed. DIY?

We could do with some help. Thanks in advance.
Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 17.20.01.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 17.24.45.png
Last edited by Bubblegun on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:11 am The hunt continues. We've narrowed it down to a certain area, so that limits the choices.

I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me about this brown that seems to be on many houses.
As you can see its around building, and It seems to come off as a dust. My initial thought is its rust, oxidation, and has anyone had experience with this and if so, what did you? if anything. Is this something to be worried about? is it something easily fixed. DIY?

Zoom. Enhance. Zoom. Enhance. Zo.. 76kb image!?
That's not a photo. It's barely an avatar!

鼻隠しThe old Nose concealer. This is the horizontal Fascia.
破風板. That's the gable board. or 板金/siding if metal..

But are you sure they are made from metal? It's possible some are just wood. Very common in older houses.
Certainly, the dust you are seeing could be rust if metal or old paint .
https://blog.reform-plus.jp/grate-board/
If those are just wood they should have been painted every ten yens.

Either way, It's there to provide weather protection.
So if i was interested in somewhere I'd pay 50-100K for a house inspection they could tell you if water had got in by looking behind them/into roof space.
Even if it's not wood it will need to have been resealed around the joints periodically to preserve it's integrity.

Full disclosure. I know nothing about roofing and I'm so afraid of heights I have my kids get stuff from the top of cupboards now.
"That guy"
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Thanks moneymakers.
Moneymatters wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:45 am
Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:11 am The hunt continues. We've narrowed it down to a certain area, so that limits the choices.

Zoom. Enhance. Zoom. Enhance. Zo.. 76kb image!?
That's not a photo. It's barely an avatar!

鼻隠しThe old Nose concealer. This is the horizontal Fascia.
破風板. That's the gable board. or 板金/siding if metal..

But are you sure they are made from metal? It's possible some are just wood. Very common in older houses.
Certainly, the dust you are seeing could be rust if metal or old paint .
https://blog.reform-plus.jp/grate-board/
If those are just wood they should have been painted every ten yens.

Either way, It's there to provide weather protection.
So if i was interested in somewhere I'd pay 50-100K for a house inspection they could tell you if water had got in by looking behind them/into roof space.
Even if it's not wood it will need to have been resealed around the joints periodically to preserve it's integrity.

Full disclosure. I know nothing about roofing and I'm so afraid of heights I have my kids get stuff from the top of cupboards now
I've tried to make the pics a bit bigger. but I don't seem to be able to put up larger screen shots.
Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 17.31.03.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 17.34.14.png

Thanks for that bit of info. Really appreciated. It certainly looked like metal when we visited the top one. Might just pay that and get someone to look at the house. The wife definitely said they looked metal.
Last edited by Bubblegun on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berkaz6370
Regular

Post by berkaz6370 »

Last year "July" I bought a tradionnal Japanese house ( was built in the mid nighties) in Kawazu (Shizuoka Prefecture) for approx. 14 million Yen. Living space: 225sq. meters (2 floors). I contacted a local architect office to renovate the whole house: new flooring (B-tile), new wall paper, new system bathroom (Aqulia-Bath "Clean up brand" & 2 sinks with cabinets and mirrors, 2 new system kitchen (Main kitchen Centro and a Small Kitchen for the guest room both of the "Clean up brand) with storage cabinets, 5 new airconditioners (2 risora "Daikin" and 3 F Series Panasonic) and all new lighting in the whole house (ceiling rails with spotlights (Odelic Brand) and 2 ceiling lights and 1 ceiling fan) and 3 Toto Washlets with sink). Some walls and exsisting closets were painted. New doors (Panasonic wood doors and Lixil sliding glass doors) were installed. I have to mention as well that all electricity lines and the water system was renewed. The renovation started in the begining of March 2022 and got completed this week. I am planning to move in next month. I may run a small B&B in the extra room with the small system kitchen when the Kawazu Cherry Blossom season starts.
Renovation cost: approx. 18 million Yen. Architect Office cost: $1.2 million yen.
Bought 2 new TV's, 1 soundbar, 1 Panasonic washing drying machine, Hitachi 615L Fridge&Freezer, Toshiba Oven, Toaster, Electrolux Vacuum Cleaner and Electric Barbecue set "Weber brand), Electrolux Air Purifier. YODOBASHI Cost: 1.25 million yen.
There is still some landscaping work to be done (approx. 700sq. meters) with 3 parking spots. Will need to create another budget.
I may purchase a pellet stove in the near future ( approx cost: 1 million yen) and if I decide to paint the exterior walls of the house this will add another 1 million yen. Nothing is for free, but I think it is worth to invest! There is nothing more exciting than moving into your new home!!
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

berkaz6370 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:07 pm Last year "July" I bought a tradionnal Japanese house ( was built in the mid nighties) in Kawazu (Shizuoka Prefecture) for approx. 14 million Yen. Living space: 225sq. meters (2 floors). I contacted a local architect office to renovate the whole house: new flooring (B-tile), new wall paper, new system bathroom (Aqulia-Bath "Clean up brand" & 2 sinks with cabinets and mirrors, 2 new system kitchen (Main kitchen Centro and a Small Kitchen for the guest room both of the "Clean up brand) with storage cabinets, 5 new airconditioners (2 risora "Daikin" and 3 F Series Panasonic) and all new lighting in the whole house (ceiling rails with spotlights (Odelic Brand) and 2 ceiling lights and 1 ceiling fan) and 3 Toto Washlets with sink). Some walls and exsisting closets were painted. New doors (Panasonic wood doors and Lixil sliding glass doors) were installed. I have to mention as well that all electricity lines and the water system was renewed. The renovation started in the begining of March 2022 and got completed this week. I am planning to move in next month. I may run a small B&B in the extra room with the small system kitchen when the Kawazu Cherry Blossom season starts.
Renovation cost: approx. 18 million Yen. Architect Office cost: $1.2 million yen.
Bought 2 new TV's, 1 soundbar, 1 Panasonic washing drying machine, Hitachi 615L Fridge&Freezer, Toshiba Oven, Toaster, Electrolux Vacuum Cleaner and Electric Barbecue set "Weber brand), Electrolux Air Purifier. YODOBASHI Cost: 1.25 million yen.
There is still some landscaping work to be done (approx. 700sq. meters) with 3 parking spots. Will need to create another budget.
I may purchase a pellet stove in the near future ( approx cost: 1 million yen) and if I decide to paint the exterior walls of the house this will add another 1 million yen. Nothing is for free, but I think it is worth to invest! There is nothing more exciting than moving into your new home!!
How come you didn't just buy a new house for 32 million yen?
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

berkaz6370 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:07 pm Last year "July" I bought a tradionnal Japanese house ( was built in the mid nighties) in Kawazu (Shizuoka Prefecture) for approx. 14 million Yen. Living space: 225sq. meters (2 floors). I contacted a local architect office to renovate the whole house: new flooring (B-tile), new wall paper, new system bathroom (Aqulia-Bath "Clean up brand" & 2 sinks with cabinets and mirrors, 2 new system kitchen (Main kitchen Centro and a Small Kitchen for the guest room both of the "Clean up brand) with storage cabinets, 5 new airconditioners (2 risora "Daikin" and 3 F Series Panasonic) and all new lighting in the whole house (ceiling rails with spotlights (Odelic Brand) and 2 ceiling lights and 1 ceiling fan) and 3 Toto Washlets with sink). Some walls and exsisting closets were painted. New doors (Panasonic wood doors and Lixil sliding glass doors) were installed. I have to mention as well that all electricity lines and the water system was renewed. The renovation started in the begining of March 2022 and got completed this week. I am planning to move in next month. I may run a small B&B in the extra room with the small system kitchen when the Kawazu Cherry Blossom season starts.

WOW that's a lot for an old house. why not go for a new house?
Love to see a few pics.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:11 am...
My vote on this would be wood, esp when running behind the rain gutter. Houses around here don't have much exposed wood, but what is pointed out here is where it is often used.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

berkaz6370 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:07 pm... Living space: 225sq. meters (2 floors). ...
Note: 225m2 is big--huge, actually. Twice the size of most tateuri around here, which would easily run 25-30M (and those are built on the absolute edge of minimum lot size for the house you get). 700m2 for the land is also quite large. Tho as said it's being set up for a B&B rental, it may have been a two generation house before (and that part of the house may have a separate entrance/genkan).
berkaz6370
Regular

Post by berkaz6370 »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:17 pm
How come you didn't just buy a new house for 32 million yen?
I may have been able to buy a new house for that price, but I like to lay-out and the charm that a Japanese traditional house offers! It has spacious rooms compared with the japanese prefabricated houses. My only concern is that I will be living in a village away from the husttle of city and this for the first time in my life. I previously lived in Lyon, London, Kobe, Tokyo and Las Vegas.