Older house/Renovation/purchase

berkaz6370
Regular

Re: Older house/Renovation/purchase

Post by berkaz6370 »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:55 pm
berkaz6370 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:07 pm Last year "July" I bought a tradionnal Japanese house ( was built in the mid nighties) in Kawazu (Shizuoka Prefecture) for approx. 14 million Yen. Living space: 225sq. meters (2 floors). I contacted a local architect office to renovate the whole house: new flooring (B-tile), new wall paper, new system bathroom (Aqulia-Bath "Clean up brand" & 2 sinks with cabinets and mirrors, 2 new system kitchen (Main kitchen Centro and a Small Kitchen for the guest room both of the "Clean up brand) with storage cabinets, 5 new airconditioners (2 risora "Daikin" and 3 F Series Panasonic) and all new lighting in the whole house (ceiling rails with spotlights (Odelic Brand) and 2 ceiling lights and 1 ceiling fan) and 3 Toto Washlets with sink). Some walls and exsisting closets were painted. New doors (Panasonic wood doors and Lixil sliding glass doors) were installed. I have to mention as well that all electricity lines and the water system was renewed. The renovation started in the begining of March 2022 and got completed this week. I am planning to move in next month. I may run a small B&B in the extra room with the small system kitchen when the Kawazu Cherry Blossom season starts.
Renovation cost: approx. 18 million Yen. Architect Office cost: $1.2 million yen.
Bought 2 new TV's, 1 soundbar, 1 Panasonic washing drying machine, Hitachi 615L Fridge&Freezer, Toshiba Oven, Toaster, Electrolux Vacuum Cleaner and Electric Barbecue set "Weber brand), Electrolux Air Purifier. YODOBASHI Cost: 1.25 million yen.
There is still some landscaping work to be done (approx. 700sq. meters) with 3 parking spots. Will need to create another budget.
I may purchase a pellet stove in the near future ( approx cost: 1 million yen) and if I decide to paint the exterior walls of the house this will add another 1 million yen. Nothing is for free, but I think it is worth to invest! There is nothing more exciting than moving into your new home!!

WOW that's a lot for an old house. why not go for a new house?
Love to see a few pics.
I may have been able to buy a new house for that price, but I like to lay-out and the charm that a Japanese traditional house offers! It has spacious rooms compared with the japanese prefabricated houses. My only concern is that I will be living in a village away from the husttle of city and this for the first time in my life. I previously lived in Lyon, London, Kobe, Tokyo and Las Vegas.
berkaz6370
Regular

Post by berkaz6370 »

captainspoke wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:05 pm
berkaz6370 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:07 pm... Living space: 225sq. meters (2 floors). ...
Note: 225m2 is big--huge, actually. Twice the size of most tateuri around here, which would easily run 25-30M (and those are built on the absolute edge of minimum lot size for the house you get). 700m2 for the land is also quite large. Tho as said it's being set up for a B&B rental, it may have been a two generation house before (and that part of the house may have a separate entrance/genkan).
It was a big lot and the house had two entrances as well an open air bath. I will definately post some pictures once everything is set-up. But first I have to find out how to attach the pictures to an add.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Not sure if I asked this previously but I’ll ask again. This house is 40 years old and is 8million yen.
If we were to put in an offer, how much would be reasonable to put in?
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

berkaz6370 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:59 pm
Roger Van Zant wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:17 pm
berkaz6370 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:07 pm Last year "July" I bought a tradionnal Japanese house ( was built in the mid nighties) in Kawazu (Shizuoka Prefecture) for approx. 14 million Yen. Living space: 225sq. meters (2 floors). I contacted a local architect office to renovate the whole house: new flooring (B-tile), new wall paper, new system bathroom (Aqulia-Bath "Clean up brand" & 2 sinks with cabinets and mirrors, 2 new system kitchen (Main kitchen Centro and a Small Kitchen for the guest room both of the "Clean up brand) with storage cabinets, 5 new airconditioners (2 risora "Daikin" and 3 F Series Panasonic) and all new lighting in the whole house (ceiling rails with spotlights (Odelic Brand) and 2 ceiling lights and 1 ceiling fan) and 3 Toto Washlets with sink). Some walls and exsisting closets were painted. New doors (Panasonic wood doors and Lixil sliding glass doors) were installed. I have to mention as well that all electricity lines and the water system was renewed. The renovation started in the begining of March 2022 and got completed this week. I am planning to move in next month. I may run a small B&B in the extra room with the small system kitchen when the Kawazu Cherry Blossom season starts.
Renovation cost: approx. 18 million Yen. Architect Office cost: $1.2 million yen.
Bought 2 new TV's, 1 soundbar, 1 Panasonic washing drying machine, Hitachi 615L Fridge&Freezer, Toshiba Oven, Toaster, Electrolux Vacuum Cleaner and Electric Barbecue set "Weber brand), Electrolux Air Purifier. YODOBASHI Cost: 1.25 million yen.
There is still some landscaping work to be done (approx. 700sq. meters) with 3 parking spots. Will need to create another budget.
I may purchase a pellet stove in the near future ( approx cost: 1 million yen) and if I decide to paint the exterior walls of the house this will add another 1 million yen. Nothing is for free, but I think it is worth to invest! There is nothing more exciting than moving into your new home!!
How come you didn't just buy a new house for 32 million yen?
I may have been able to buy a new house for that price, but I like to lay-out and the charm that a Japanese traditional house offers! It has spacious rooms compared with the japanese prefabricated houses. My only concern is that I will be living in a village away from the husttle of city and this for the first time in my life. I previously lived in Lyon, London, Kobe, Tokyo and Las Vegas.
I see!
I live in a Japanese mountain hamlet consisting of six houses, total of eight people. I am the only one under 75.
I also bought a used house as it was cheap and not so old (built in 1997).
I was quoted 970,000 to stain the exposed timber posts and beams (not even painting the walls!)! I bought a ladder on Amazon for 40,000 yen, some brushes and stain for 25,000 yen, and did it myself!
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
iDeCo (Monex) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
新NISA (SBI) eMaxis Slim All Country ✓
Japanese pension (kosei nenkin) ✓
UK pension (Class 2 payer) ✓
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:59 pm Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Not sure if I asked this previously but I’ll ask again. This house is 40 years old and is 8million yen.
If we were to put in an offer, how much would be reasonable to put in?
My house was on sale for 16.7 million yen. Built in 1997, with an acre of land.
I offered 10 million. It was declined.
I then offered 12 million. Also declined.
Bought it for 13.5 million in the end.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

captainspoke wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:43 am
Ori wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:28 am
Bubblegun wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:05 am I often wonder what the definition is Slightly used means in Japan.
For me around 20 years is slightly used.LOL although in Japan I expect its, last week.LOL.
Around 0-5 yrs I'd say.
Many foreigners (including myself) start house hunting thinking that they are smarter than "stupid" Japanese and will make a great deal buying a 15-25 yrs old house for a price of a land and will have a comfortable life there. Well, Japanese are not stupid and prefer new houses for a simple reason that typical Japanese house is not build to last and furthermore, Japanese building standards (particularly, insulation) were much worse in the past (and are still not great).
Also, that's when stuff around the house, like water heater starts breaking, roof and wall maintenance are needed etc. Often, buying a prefab house or building an inexpensive custom house is a better deal.
I disagree. @Bubblegun--reread my post on the first page. We didn't think we were smarter, we just thought a house would be nice. We had only the faintest glimmer that it was old enough that we were only buying it for the price of the land. We hadn't even looked at many places, and this one just seemed good enough. Price, rather than condition, was the major factor.

We've thought about moving, or rather I have. The main problem with most any house I look at is the kitchens--and this is especially true with any new house on the market. It's depressing--houses that might be acceptable in most other ways have kitchens that look like they were designed/laid out by someone who has never cooked, let alone spent any time in one.

A kitchen should be "U" shaped--and the sink, the stove, and the refrigerator should form a triangle--and no two of them should be in a line. One common fault of pre-made (new) houses is a giant sink (wow! :roll: ) and almost no counter space to prep anything. https://i.imgur.com/lrdlWXA.jpg <--To get that kind of kitchen in a new house, it'd have to be architect-designed, and even if they understood and got it right (ha!), the budget would be creaking and about to break. And that's a kitchen in a 55-year old house. (It should have been a deep bay window, more shelf space, instead of what's there.)

One positive I see is that your wife seems okay with an older house. One negative, is that you don't have any DIY background. But youtube is your friend, a great resource.
I remodeled my kitchen with the help of a friend last year.
I have the fridge, cooker, and sink all in a line.
I have never had any issues with this whatsoever. :D

https://ibb.co/19pf6WP
https://ibb.co/MN2GFMg
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Roger Van Zant wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:23 am
Ori wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:28 am

Around 0-5 yrs I'd say.
Many foreigners (including myself) start house hunting thinking that they are smarter than "stupid" Japanese and will make a great deal buying a 15-25 yrs old house for a price of a land and will have a comfortable life there. Well, Japanese are not stupid and prefer new houses for a simple reason that typical Japanese house is not build to last and furthermore, Japanese building standards (particularly, insulation) were much worse in the past (and are still not great).
Also, that's when stuff around the house, like water heater starts breaking, roof and wall maintenance are needed etc. Often, buying a prefab house or building an inexpensive custom house is a better deal.
I disagree. @Bubblegun--reread my post on the first page. We didn't think we were smarter, we just thought a house would be nice. We had only the faintest glimmer that it was old enough that we were only buying it for the price of the land. We hadn't even looked at many places, and this one just seemed good enough. Price, rather than condition, was the major factor.

We've thought about moving, or rather I have. The main problem with most any house I look at is the kitchens--and this is especially true with any new house on the market. It's depressing--houses that might be acceptable in most other ways have kitchens that look like they were designed/laid out by someone who has never cooked, let alone spent any time in one.

A kitchen should be "U" shaped--and the sink, the stove, and the refrigerator should form a triangle--and no two of them should be in a line. One common fault of pre-made (new) houses is a giant sink (wow! :roll: ) and almost no counter space to prep anything. https://i.imgur.com/lrdlWXA.jpg <--To get that kind of kitchen in a new house, it'd have to be architect-designed, and even if they understood and got it right (ha!), the budget would be creaking and about to break. And that's a kitchen in a 55-year old house. (It should have been a deep bay window, more shelf space, instead of what's there.)

One positive I see is that your wife seems okay with an older house. One negative, is that you don't have any DIY background. But youtube is your friend, a great resource.

I like the kitchen work. If we get a house clearly that's gotta be priority one.

I was wondering if you would think if the house was 8 million would it be cheeky to offer 6 million? and then end up around the 7 million mark.
Never done this before in Japan.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Bubblegun wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:05 pm

I like the kitchen work. If we get a house clearly that's gotta be priority one.

I was wondering if you would think if the house was 8 million would it be cheeky to offer 6 million? and then end up around the 7 million mark.
One thing to bear in mind if you haven’t already is that with that age of house the actual property will have no value, you are paying for the land, with a house that the market would likely view as a burden, i.e. you would have to pay for it to be demolished before building back. So there may well be scope to offer a lower price (sellers don’t know that you intend to renovate). Have you got an agent working with you? Worth talking it through with one I think.
Roger Van Zant
Veteran

Post by Roger Van Zant »

Yes, I would do that. The worst they will say is no.
Like what happened to me. Then you come back with another offer. They are probably pretty desperate to sell it, since no Japanese will be interested in buying it. My house was on the market for 16.7 million when I came on the scene. I later saw that its original listing price was 20 million.
Investments:
Company DB scheme ✓
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Beaglehound wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:30 pm

One thing to bear in mind if you haven’t already is that with that age of house the actual property will have no value, you are paying for the land, with a house that the market would likely view as a burden, i.e. you would have to pay for it to be demolished before building back. So there may well be scope to offer a lower price (sellers don’t know that you intend to renovate). Have you got an agent working with you? Worth talking it through with one I think.
Thanks beagle hound.
Well we just emailed the companies advertising the properties and I assume they are working for the seller and themselves.
What should I look for in a an agent? any specific key words or Japanese words I should be looking out for.?
Normally in the UK id just get a solicitor, but somehow Im sure Japan has a different system. This is when I realize how much of a fish out of water we can be as we just take things from granted back home.