Hypothetical question: How much would you be willing to pay?

beanhead
Sage

Re: Hypothetical question: How much would you be willing to pay?

Post by beanhead »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:38 pm
Manshon fees are usually maintenance (cleaning, electricity for common areas, staff -our manshon has a manager and several cleaners, etc.) and the repair fund, which is funded through monthly contributions and tapped for repairs and maintenance to the building.
The repair fund includes regular repairs, but not major renovations or rebuilding, right?
If major structural work has to be done, mansion owners have to pay again, I think.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Foremost wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:24 am
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:38 pm These costs are constant and ongoing ...There is no way they could be included in the purchase price.
The first part I understand, but not the second. I lived in the same rental manshion for 10 years and the price of rent never changed. Either the landlord was willing to assume an increase in maintenance fees or those fees remained flat.

After many years, I'm sure developers have plenty of data to show avg maintenance costs over the life of a building. Why couldn't those be built into the purchase price?
It's the same as buying a house: you are responsible for maintenance and repairs going forward.

Including all future maintenance in the sale price would require it to be 2-3x the current price in order for the developer to price in the risk. Not commercially viable.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:29 am
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:38 pm
Manshon fees are usually maintenance (cleaning, electricity for common areas, staff -our manshon has a manager and several cleaners, etc.) and the repair fund, which is funded through monthly contributions and tapped for repairs and maintenance to the building.
The repair fund includes regular repairs, but not major renovations or rebuilding, right?
If major structural work has to be done, mansion owners have to pay again, I think.
If there is not enough money in the repair fund owners are asked to chip in for repairs. This is why checking the state of the repair fund before buying a second hand manshon is crucial. If there is enough money in the fund that will be used first.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
akiaji
Regular

Post by akiaji »

I do not really look for fancy perks in the building management fees, but I (currently) have peace of mind and no issues with the price since I get:
-Better security compared to a house. Anybody with ill intent would have to get through reception (a person and a locked door), find my room, then get in there as well. Super safe, especially if you have kids.
-A place to throw out garbage whenever I want, regardless of the day of the week or type of garbage. (excluding 粗大)
-Mailbox is behind a reception desk, so almost zero spam mail to deal with.
-宅配ボックス for receiving packages when I am not at home

I think it is definitely a matter of preference and what you want / how much you can spend, etc.