Spending Tracking in Japan

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
pacease

Spending Tracking in Japan

Post by pacease »

Is there a good (and safe) application in Japan to help track and consolidate one's spending and get alerts from various credit cards and banks. Something to "MINT" or "Personal Capital" in the US? I would prefer to use both Japanese and English in the app.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Spending Tracking in Japan

Post by RetireJapan »

I've been using the Moneytree app for a long time. Fairly happy with it to keep track of credit card spend and bank accounts.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
vapid
Regular

Post by vapid »

I will also give my vote for Moneytree being very straightforward to use and track spending.
jcherni
Regular

Post by jcherni »

3 votes for Moneytree!

Is there even an alternative app?
I have used it for many many years...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

jcherni wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:54 am 3 votes for Moneytree!

Is there even an alternative app?
I have used it for many many years...
Money Forward is also popular. There are endless 家計簿 apps, but I'm not sure if any of them sync with accounts, etc.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

I also vote for money tree over money forward. I find the design aesthetic of money forward quite off putting, it's very ... Japanese.
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

I started using Moneytree yesterday after seeing so many people recommend it on this forum. It's very useful, but I'm undecided over one thing: Do I want it to provide a picture of my whole position, or just immediate assets and debts?

For instance, I have a number of bank accounts in which I put away a bit each month to cover regular expenses (insurance, car, taxes). Because these are already earmarked, I don't really "have" that money.
But technically I do have it, so should I include them in Moneytree? Hmmm...
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:45 am I started using Moneytree yesterday after seeing so many people recommend it on this forum. It's very useful, but I'm undecided over one thing: Do I want it to provide a picture of my whole position, or just immediate assets and debts?

For instance, I have a number of bank accounts in which I put away a bit each month to cover regular expenses (insurance, car, taxes). Because these are already earmarked, I don't really "have" that money.
But technically I do have it, so should I include them in Moneytree? Hmmm...
Moneytree is very useful, but it is not a total solution.

I have a very simple Google sheets that maps my investments (The prices auto-update).

Every month I A. Updated the amount of shares owned, and B. Update my total wealth number from moneytree.

This approach allows for more customization and better data tracking with very minimal effort. (5 minutes a month).
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Haystack wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:32 pm Moneytree is very useful, but it is not a total solution.

I have a very simple Google sheets that maps my investments (The prices auto-update).

Every month I A. Updated the amount of shares owned, and B. Update my total wealth number from moneytree.

This approach allows for more customization and better data tracking with very minimal effort. (5 minutes a month).
I do the same: update my 'investments' Google Sheet every month. Log into all my accounts and copy the balance across. Takes about five minutes, gives me a jolt of satisfaction, and lets me see how we are doing. Much recommended, although it doesn't have to be monthly. You could do it once or twice a year too ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
pacease

Post by pacease »

I am a little confused about the replies referring to Moneytree. While I looked at the software, I found no reference that it would allow me to connect to my Japanese banks or Japanese credit cards. Am I missing something in their webpage. Can someone point me to the site where this information is detailed? Does it accept Japanese language?