US taxes - FBAR and Form 8938 requirements for IBKR?

akiaji
Regular

US taxes - FBAR and Form 8938 requirements for IBKR?

Post by akiaji »

Hi everybody. "Favorite" time of the year doing taxes.

Late last year, I signed up with Interactive Brokers via the .co.jp site. I am US citizen living in Japan with PR.
I am not clear on whether the IBKR account is one that needs to be reported for FBAR and Form 8938. Are the funds ultimately held by a US financial institute, so no forms are needed, or is the account in Japan so reporting is necessary? I have logged a ticket with IBKR, but they are taking a while to respond, so I thought to check here as well.

Thank you.
captainspoke
Sage

Re: US taxes - FBAR and Form 8938 requirements for IBKR?

Post by captainspoke »

Not an expert on this, but while (on the one hand) I think IBKR is the US-based version of it, it's puzzling that you're mentioning/using the co.jp address--I think it should be .com instead.
akiaji
Regular

Post by akiaji »

Thank you for the reply! Before I signed up with them, I sent IBKR a query on whether I should sign up with their .com or .co.jp website. They replied that since I resided in Japan, I would need to sign up via the .co.jp website. So account is with their Japan entity, but the funds end up being held in the US. Hence my confusion. :D
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Yep--I agree that's confusing... :shock: :?: :!:
akiaji
Regular

Post by akiaji »

For everybody's reference, I heard back from IBKR on this. They confirmed that the funds are held with a US institution and a 1099 is issued, so no separate reporting via FBAR or 8938 required. I am waiting to see if my US tax accountant raises any flags, but looks good for now. IBKR is quite the savior for us US folk living in Japan. :D
FlamingWombat
Regular

Post by FlamingWombat »

captainspoke wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:14 am Yep--I agree that's confusing... :shock: :?: :!:
Yeah, it sounds weird, but to access the international IBLLC account while residing in Japan you have to go through the Japanese portal site.
gogakuhei

Post by gogakuhei »

akiaji wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:20 am For everybody's reference, I heard back from IBKR on this. They confirmed that the funds are held with a US institution and a 1099 is issued, so no separate reporting via FBAR or 8938 required. I am waiting to see if my US tax accountant raises any flags, but looks good for now. IBKR is quite the savior for us US folk living in Japan. :D
This needs a little more love. Thanks for checking with IBKR, and thanks for sharing the response with all of us.
FlamingWombat
Regular

Post by FlamingWombat »

I wonder how this has changed with the migration to IBSJ accounts, in terms of FBAR reporting...