Rakuten Sign Up Nightmare

Jemineye
Regular

Rakuten Sign Up Nightmare

Post by Jemineye »

I am having the worst time of it right now. I'm trying to set up a NISA with Rakuten and the name thing is driving me up the wall. :evil: :evil:
I have a first middle and last name. My last name has a space in it and no matter what I do, shortening my name, using initials etc., they just will not accept it.

In the first instance, you can only write up to 8 characters anyway and both my first name and last night have seven letters each in it. In the kana part, my name on my MyNumber Card doesn't have kana and they keep asking me to write it as it's written on my card, which I'm trying to, but again, all three of my names combined exceed the 18 character limit meaning that I'm having trouble there as well.

I'm not even sure who to contact. I tried their chat feature and I couldn't even get through to that because god knows!!

People with long names. Help me!!
William
Regular

Re: Rakuten Sign Up Nightmare

Post by William »

Hi there,

(Here just a small message from a new guy who usually just reads but knows how painful this name thing is).

I had the same experience with Monex and it took me a while before managing to finally open an account, but the solution for me was to contact their customer service, by e-mail. They were quite reactive and helped me to find a solution (Not sure if telling them that their IT system dating back to the Meiji era was such a pain for something as simple as a name registration helped, but here we are).

So, for Rakuten, I would advise to try one more time their chat system, or e-mail.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

My full name is 16 characters and I was able to open a Rakuten account but I did it a long time ago (for some points thing) so I don't exactly remember what happened. I would recommend calling them, Rakuten Securities is used to dealing with foreigners and know their arcane systems cause us problems. For SBI and Monex, they sent me paper application forms so maybe Rakuten will do that for you to.
Jemineye
Regular

Post by Jemineye »

William wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:53 pm Hi there,

(Here just a small message from a new guy who usually just reads but knows how painful this name thing is).

I had the same experience with Monex and it took me a while before managing to finally open an account, but the solution for me was to contact their customer service, by e-mail. They were quite reactive and helped me to find a solution (Not sure if telling them that their IT system dating back to the Meiji era was such a pain for something as simple as a name registration helped, but here we are).

So, for Rakuten, I would advise to try one more time their chat system, or e-mail.
I'm honestly just considering to go with SBI at this rate because it's insane. I've tried contacting Rakuten via their chat feature but to know avail. I'll try email, but it's not obviously clear where to go sometimes
Jemineye
Regular

Post by Jemineye »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:47 am My full name is 16 characters and I was able to open a Rakuten account but I did it a long time ago (for some points thing) so I don't exactly remember what happened. I would recommend calling them, Rakuten Securities is used to dealing with foreigners and know their arcane systems cause us problems. For SBI and Monex, they sent me paper application forms so maybe Rakuten will do that for you to.
I imagine I would have to call them in Japanese...?
I guess I'll have to get my partner to help me out...
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Jemineye wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:23 am
zeroshiki wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:47 am My full name is 16 characters and I was able to open a Rakuten account but I did it a long time ago (for some points thing) so I don't exactly remember what happened. I would recommend calling them, Rakuten Securities is used to dealing with foreigners and know their arcane systems cause us problems. For SBI and Monex, they sent me paper application forms so maybe Rakuten will do that for you to.
I imagine I would have to call them in Japanese...?
I guess I'll have to get my partner to help me out...
Yeah, there's no way around that.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I had an issue with Rakuten, and signing up for a credit card with their system.(which I needed for the NISA)
Basically they squashed my first name, and my middle name together, ( no gaps) then one gap plus surname. So it looks like one major long first name.
So the total was 19 including the single space.

For the NISA. One section has my middle name to match all the documents, and for transfers but another section only has my first and and surname.
But it did require a phone call.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

We should make a definitive "how to get your name right and link everything together with Rakuten" guide :)
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

adamu wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:51 am We should make a definitive "how to get your name right and link everything together with Rakuten" guide :)
This, please.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

The easiest way is merge your first and middlename to ensure that there's only 1 space in your name (the space between your firstname and lastname). If you're able to do that, linking Rakuten Bank, Card and Securities becomes very easy.

Of course this advice only applies to people who have yet to create accounts with any of those 3 services and for the most part, we get questions after one of or all of them is already messed up. In which case, the steps become: 1. fix it as above; then 2. call Rakuten Securities since they are the most likely to help you.