Windfall Elimination Provision!

ClearAsMud
Veteran

Re: Windfall Elimination Provision!

Post by ClearAsMud »

TedI wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:37 pm When you have received the notice from SSA regarding the benefit you are going to receive, you need to check to see if they have used only "kosei-nenkin" to calculate WEP.
According to the Nenkin Support Center of America (https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=ebd ... 7597092e70), it has just received (July 1, 2022) confirmation from the Social Security Administration that Kokumin Nenkin should indeed be excluded from WEP. Apparently, previous applications of WEP to Kokumin Nenkin will be reviewed and refunds issued where warranted.

How exactly this will be handled remains to be worked out. It will probably take some time, but at least it seems that progress is being made and that, in the future, the two parts of a Kōsei Nenkin pension should be receiving different WEP treatment from the SSA.
TedI
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Re: Windfall Elimination Provision!

Post by TedI »

I have also seen this news! It is a result of the lobbying of some voluteers. They are working with goverment officials and lawmakers in both countries in order to correct the "kokumin-nenkin"/WEP issue. You are corect how it will be handled is still unknown. If I found further information, I will post it here.
TedI