Side hustle basics

ExpatScot
Regular

Side hustle basics

Post by ExpatScot »

Hi all,

I’m contemplating starting a small side-hustle business where I’d buy Japanese goods and sell them to international customers online.

I was just wondering what I have to consider in terms of taxes, legalities etc. Is there a revenue threshold that I can stay below that would mean I don’t have to set up a company for example?

I’ve not really thought about it in great detail, but any advice or insight would be great.
captainspoke
Sage

Re: Side hustle basics

Post by captainspoke »

Well, shipping is something to consider--I don't think international has really recovered from the pandemic, and now war in ukraine. There were a lot of people that got cut off when the US backed out of the system that allowed for cheap shipping of small items via small packet.

Visa: spouse or PR you can do anything, but other status of residence may limit what you can do.
ExpatScot
Regular

Post by ExpatScot »

captainspoke wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:02 pm Well, shipping is something to consider--I don't think international has really recovered from the pandemic, and now war in ukraine. There were a lot of people that got cut off when the US backed out of the system that allowed for cheap shipping of small items via small packet.
Oh that’s a good point, I hadn’t thought much about shipping issues. Then again, I presume I could just pass any extra costs onto the customers. The packages I’d be sending would be pretty small I think. I’ll do some research into the shipping though. Thanks for that.
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

ExpatScot wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:44 am Hi all,

I’m contemplating starting a small side-hustle business where I’d buy Japanese goods and sell them to international customers online.

I was just wondering what I have to consider in terms of taxes, legalities etc. Is there a revenue threshold that I can stay below that would mean I don’t have to set up a company for example?

I’ve not really thought about it in great detail, but any advice or insight would be great.
The shipping concern is definitely timely. However there's two that you'll need to consider first. First your visa status, and second if you are buying used goods you need a license from the police.
ExpatScot
Regular

Post by ExpatScot »

John_conner wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:11 am

The shipping concern is definitely timely. However there's two that you'll need to consider first. First your visa status, and second if you are buying used goods you need a license from the police.
I have a spouse visa, so I presume that's fine, but wasn't aware of the rule about getting a license from the police forbuying used goods. Does that mean if I buy new goods for resale then I wouldn't need that license?

Cheers
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

bit late-but why do you need a license from the police to sell used goods?
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

seems that in most cases you dont

When the second-hand dealer’s license is not needed?
The license is not needed when you are selling items that you:

have once bought for yourself and used,
have once bought for yourself, but never used,
have received free of charge,
bought during your overseas travel, or
you are buying back the items that you once sold to someone.
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

ExpatScot wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:58 am
John_conner wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:11 am

I have a spouse visa, so I presume that's fine, but wasn't aware of the rule about getting a license from the police forbuying used goods. Does that mean if I buy new goods for resale then I wouldn't need that license?

Cheers
If you are buying new goods I believe you don’t need the license. It’s only for second goods. It’s best to consult a lawyer to be sure of the rules in your specific case.
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

bryanc wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:00 am bit late-but why do you need a license from the police to sell used goods?
You need the license so police can track the flow of stolen goods into the second hand market. Most countries have such a license.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

John_conner wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:23 am
You need the license so police can track the flow of stolen goods into the second hand market.
Presumably they want the best bargains for themselves ... :lol:
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.