New JT article

RetireJapan
Site Admin

New JT article

Post by RetireJapan »

English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Re: New JT article

Post by adamu »

Nice. Did you talk to Mineo Bito, or was it just edited together? Requires some careful reading to see whose advice is whose. I don't think you recommend people look into gold. Also you can't really mention gold in the 2020s without also at least mentioning crypto🙊

Nice to have more resources getting people thinking and giving them a direction. I liked your point about raising income, it seems that advice is a bit taboo, but it definitely has the biggest effect for people on lower and even average incomes if they can pull it off. I think being locked into a specific residence status limits people's options there though; a good reason to aim for spouse/PR status, which don't come with lifestyle restrictions, as soon as possible if those options are available.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:58 am Nice. Did you talk to Mineo Bito, or was it just edited together? Requires some careful reading to see whose advice is whose. I don't think you recommend people look into gold. Also you can't really mention gold in the 2020s without also at least mentioning crypto🙊
Ha, ha, yeah, I just did a quick interview with the journalist -she edited it all together. No gold recommendations here!

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

adamu wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:58 am I liked your point about raising income, it seems that advice is a bit taboo, but it definitely has the biggest effect for people on lower and even average incomes if they can pull it off. I think being locked into a specific residence status limits people's options there though; a good reason to aim for spouse/PR status, which don't come with lifestyle restrictions, as soon as possible if those options are available.
Yeah, most financial advice is aimed at middle-class people. If you are poor, you don't have enough money for food, let alone saving for retirement.

(my wife was in that situation as a single working mother -she used to go to the cake counter with the kids and just look at the cakes because they couldn't afford to buy any)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:22 am
Ha, ha, yeah, I just did a quick interview with the journalist -she edited it all together. No gold recommendations here!
Gold...🤦‍♂️
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.