Is there anyone receiving a UK state pension on here

Stuart
Regular

Is there anyone receiving a UK state pension on here

Post by Stuart »

I am soon to receive a UK state pension here in Japan. Yes, I paid in for all those years.
Anyway, is there anyone here in the same situation.
Do you have pension payments sent to you here in Japan or to a bank in the UK.
And in what currency.

Thank you
beanhead
Sage

Re: Is there anyone receiving a UK state pension on here

Post by beanhead »

Sorry, I will have to get back to you on that one in a few years' time. Maybe the Brits group on FB - there are more old codgers there, it seems ;)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Hi stuart,

Sadly not yet, got another 15 years to push.

Can I ask how many years contributions you had?

I have 35 years contributions, and I was told not to pay any more because basically I won't get any more pension from he UK.
Is that right? As HMRC keep sending me letters for NI now.
Last edited by Bubblegun on Tue May 24, 2022 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

beanhead wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:37 pm Sorry, I will have to get back to you on that one in a few years' time. Maybe the Brits group on FB - there are more old codgers there, it seems ;)
Speak for yourself. :lol: :lol:
( bugger! Now, where's me glasses? I keep loosing them now)
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

Bubblegun wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:07 am I have 35 years contributions, and I was told not to pay any more because basically I won't get any more pension from he UK.
Yes, you only have to pay 35 years contributions to qualify for the full UK Pension.

If you were working in the UK you would still have to pay NI Contributions until you retire, but if you're not in the UK, you're done.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Bubblegun wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:07 am I have 35 years contributions, and I was told not to pay any more because basically I won't get any more pension from he UK.
I've also paid 35 years, but according to my online forecast (https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension) I still have two more years to contribute to get my full pension. This will increase it from £177.57 per week to £185.15. Not much, but every bit helps. I'm 55 years old.

So maybe the "35 years" number isn't set in stone? Maybe it's case by case depending on your contribution history? Or maybe they've just messed mine up? :lol:

I'd be interested to hear how much pension you'll get according to your online forecast. Thanks.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

northSaver wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:46 am
I've also paid 35 years, but according to my online forecast (https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension) I still have two more years to contribute to get my full pension. This will increase it from £177.57 per week to £185.15. Not much, but every bit helps. I'm 55 years old.

So maybe the "35 years" number isn't set in stone? Maybe it's case by case depending on your contribution history? Or maybe they've just messed mine up? :lol:

I'd be interested to hear how much pension you'll get according to your online forecast. Thanks.
Is it showing that you have paid 35 years and that you still have two more years to contribute? If so, sounds very much like a mess up! The £185.15 figure is the full state pension as of April this year. There are some complications I think if you were ‘contracted out’, which I don’t pretend to understand in full, but in general 35 years should be enough.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Yes, it says that I have 35 years of full contributions. These started in 1982 when I was 15 for some reason. The details for 1982-83 say "National Insurance credits: 104 weeks". Is that normal? And yes, I was contracted out for some of those years.
Whatever the reason, I really don't mind paying a couple more years. In fact I've paid one of them already but it hasn't entered the system yet. It's Class 2, so very cheap. And I was half thinking of carrying on paying until retirement, like the UK residents have to. If my pension would be adjusted for inflation here in Japan then I definitely would, but since it isn't I might just stop when it becomes full.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Beaglehound wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:43 am
northSaver wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:46 am

Is it showing that you have paid 35 years and that you still have two more years to contribute? If so, sounds very much like a mess up! The £185.15 figure is the full state pension as of April this year. There are some complications I think if you were ‘contracted out’, which I don’t pretend to understand in full, but in general 35 years should be enough.

Thanks for that.

Yes it is showing that I have paid the 35 years and I can get 185.15, but I noticed there is a green bar showing my payments and then there is a grey bit that makes it look as though there is more to go in payments. But I am assuming that this gray bar part, is actually the bar to the AGE OF RETIREMENT, and doesn't actually say you have reached the maximum level.( on the green section.

I guess if it looks like you haven't paid enough, according to the grey bar, then some ex pats, will be nudged into paying extra for no extra benefits and Sadly if you find out you paid extra they won't get a refund.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Tkydon wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:21 am
Yes, you only have to pay 35 years contributions to qualify for the full UK Pension.

If you were working in the UK you would still have to pay NI Contributions until you retire, but if you're not in the UK, you're done.
Exactly what I thought. FANDABY DOZY. :D