Is there anyone receiving a UK state pension on here

Bubblegun
Veteran

Re: Is there anyone receiving a UK state pension on here

Post by Bubblegun »

northSaver wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:33 pm Yes, it says that I have 35 years of full contributions. These started in 1982 when I was 15 for some reason. The details for 1982-83 say "National Insurance credits: 104 weeks". Is that normal? And yes, I was contracted out for some of those years.
Whatever the reason, I really don't mind paying a couple more years. In fact I've paid one of them already but it hasn't entered the system yet. It's Class 2, so very cheap. And I was half thinking of carrying on paying until retirement, like the UK residents have to. If my pension would be adjusted for inflation here in Japan then I definitely would, but since it isn't I might just stop when it becomes full.
The credits? Where you unemployed? disabled or at college or something?

It is normal.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Bubblegun wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:35 pm Yes it is showing that I have paid the 35 years and I can get 185.15, but I noticed there is a green bar showing my payments and then there is a grey bit that makes it look as though there is more to go in payments. But I am assuming that this gray bar part, is actually the bar to the AGE OF RETIREMENT, and doesn't actually say you have reached the maximum level.( on the green section.
I've got that grey bit too at the end of my "Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2021" bar. The "Forecast if you contribute another 2 years before 5 April 2033" bar below it is fully green and the same length as the first bar (including grey bit). Shame we can't easily post images here, it would make it a lot clearer! But basically it clearly shows that I have two more years (the grey bit) to contribute in order to get £185.15 a week.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

northSaver wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:33 pm Yes, it says that I have 35 years of full contributions. These started in 1982 when I was 15 for some reason. The details for 1982-83 say "National Insurance credits: 104 weeks". Is that normal? And yes, I was contracted out for some of those years.
Whatever the reason, I really don't mind paying a couple more years. In fact I've paid one of them already but it hasn't entered the system yet. It's Class 2, so very cheap. And I was half thinking of carrying on paying until retirement, like the UK residents have to. If my pension would be adjusted for inflation here in Japan then I definitely would, but since it isn't I might just stop when it becomes full.
Yeah, it used to be that those still at school post-16 got credits for that as compensation for not having entered the workforce. I suspect the contracted out part is where the discrepancy comes from; good that you are on Class 2s and now only a year to go. I (sort of) admire your idea of continuing to pay, but would suggest you stop when it is full. I don’t believe the government necessarily shares your idea of fair play and a charitable donation might be a better idea if you are so minded.
banders
Veteran

Post by banders »

I’ve had to pay 37 full years. When I wrote and asked why, they said they couldn’t give details. Such a small amount anyway, I feel stingy for asking. :)