mobile payments- paypay??

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
bryanc
Veteran

mobile payments- paypay??

Post by bryanc »

realise am very slow on this-but trying to get away from using cash and am mainly using by visa card... i want to move on to doing away with carrying the visa card-is paypay the best system for this? it seems to be used in many places but still lots of places where not accepted..can anyone advise what best option might be?
thanks
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: mobile payments- paypay??

Post by zeroshiki »

It really depends on your taste and what you notice they accept in the stores you frequent. Paypay is good now because they have good campaigns and its accepted in a lot of stores. IMO the best one is iD because of how ubiquitous it is and how you don't need to "charge" money to it and also no need to pull our your phone and display a QR code. Its contactless using NFC. The only bad thing about iD is they don't do campaigns, its just an extension of your credit card.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I'm still in the credit card -> cash if the place doesn't take cards. Haven't felt any need to change.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I basically use everything, but my most common method is via QuickPay/GooglePay on phone. You just tap your phone with NFC as if it's an IC card, much quicker than getting your card out, no need for PIN or QR codes, but the account is the same as your credit card and you still get CC points too.

The QR code apps aren't really worth it unless you back them with the company's credit card too. I use PayPay (prepaid only) as it's the only option over cash in some places, but it's never my first choice.
bryanc
Veteran

Post by bryanc »

thanks all-what are the issues with paypay?doesnt it have point campaigns?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

bryanc wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:16 am thanks all-what are the issues with paypay?doesnt it have point campaigns?
It does. In fact, the only way to access alot of the campaigns is to top up (loading value on it) and not through CC. My only complaint with the QR code payment options is its a hassle to have to open the app and show the code to the cashier versus just tapping your phone NFC.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

To get any value out of the systems that require you to frequently participate in campaigns or collect coupons requires significant effort. How much is your attention worth? Much better to take the easy wins (e.g. 1% Cashback on payments) then spend the rest of your time doing more productive things like obsessively checking the RetireJapan forum.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

Paypay works fine, although as you said, there are still plenty of places that don't accept it. You get a small (0.5-1%) percentage in cash back, but really it's more just for convenience (putting aside the very first-world problem of QR codes being too much hassle). One other convenient feature is that you can send money to people easily and for free.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

adamu wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:58 am I basically use everything, but my most common method is via QuickPay/GooglePay on phone. You just tap your phone with NFC as if it's an IC card, much quicker than getting your card out, no need for PIN or QR codes, but the account is the same as your credit card and you still get CC points too.

The QR code apps aren't really worth it unless you back them with the company's credit card too. I use PayPay (prepaid only) as it's the only option over cash in some places, but it's never my first choice.
This is what I do, except with iD pay, not Quickpay via Android. I have both but ID seems to be a bit more standard. These days I have to be careful not to forget my wallet!

My wife loves Paypay, and using physical credit cards. She has her JR Credit card in her phone case and is not interested in Apple Pay at all.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

What's annoying is that I use Rakuten as my main card and it doesn't support either iD or Quikpay but Rakuten Edy and its not like iD where it automatically charges the card but you have to load it with money so its quite inconvenient. So I just link iD on my secondary card and I lose out on Rakuten points that way.