Monex - name problems

Hayabubu
Regular

Monex - name problems

Post by Hayabubu »

I’ve finally managed to set up both an IdeCo and NISA account through Monex - its taken about 4 months due to problems with how to deal with my middle name but the accounts are set up. (Monex insist that you register your name as SURNAME FIRSTMIDDLE. No space).

When I tried to make a deposit from my Shinsei account into Monex I got an error message because the account names are different. My Shinsei account name (which I’ve had for about 18 years) is SURNAME FIRST. Having spoken to Monex by phone they told me the names must match so they want me to change the name on my Shinsei account.

The problem is, that means I have to change Shinsei to SURNAME FIRSTMIDDLE, whereas my zairyu card, My Number card and driver’s license all have my name as SURNAME FIRST MIDDLE (with a space).

I’m worried that changing the Shinsei account name could lead to knock-on problems with credit cards, other payments etc.

The other option I was given was to open another bank account somewhere using the Monex format of SURNAME FIRSTMIDDLE but seeing as all my ID cards are SURNAME FIRST MIDDLE I can’t see that that’s possible.

I’m starting to feel really frustrated with the process now. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? :cry:
Gareth
Veteran

Re: Monex - name problems

Post by Gareth »

Tried it with Mizuho which doesn’t have my middle name in my account but that didn’t work. Then I tried my post office account which has a space between my first and middle name and that linked up to Monex no problem.
Hayabubu
Regular

Post by Hayabubu »

Gareth wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:28 am Tried it with Mizuho which doesn’t have my middle name in my account but that didn’t work. Then I tried my post office account which has a space between my first and middle name and that linked up to Monex no problem.
So you think that as long as the account name has SURNAME FIRST MIDDLE in the right order then the space might not be an issue?
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Not sure at all if that would be the case with other banks. Just know it works for the post office. Hopefully others will be able to tell you their experience from other banks.

I feel your frustration. Felt it too, but once it was all set up and running, it’s a good feeling. You are nearly there!
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Some systems (like Rakuten Bank) ignore spaces while some care about them.

Changing your name on bank accounts to FIRSTMIDDLE doesn't really matter. From the government's point of view its the same thing since they don't care about spaces. Next time you open an account, you should do it exactly as what's written on your MyNumber card but ignore the spaces. It will make your life easier.
Hayabubu
Regular

Post by Hayabubu »

zeroshiki wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:17 am Next time you open an account, you should do it exactly as what's written on your MyNumber card but ignore the spaces. It will make your life easier.
I get this! 20 years or so ago it was easier not to include middle names at all. Now with My Number etc it’s all coming back to bite me in the @$$!
Hayabubu
Regular

Post by Hayabubu »

Gareth wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:41 am Not sure at all if that would be the case with other banks. Just know it works for the post office. Hopefully others will be able to tell you their experience from other banks.

I feel your frustration. Felt it too, but once it was all set up and running, it’s a good feeling. You are nearly there!
Thank you! I think I might open up a Japan Post account. Not feeling particularly attached to Shinsei these days anyway.. ;)
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

Maybe because my accounts are so old, but both my Monex and Shinsei accounts do not use my middle name. This despite repeatedly submitting my zairyu card to both companies when they've asked me to, most recently when I set up Junior Nisa accounts for my kids.
Lack of consistency is the problem in this country though, as I have another (20+yr old) account at a separate bank where I went in to request a replacement ATM card, and when I showed proof of ID they insisted I add my middle name or they wouldn't give me a new ATM card. I was worried that adding the middle name would affect automatic payments I had set up, but they assured me it wouldn't, and indeed there was no negative effect.
adobo_

Post by adobo_ »

Good day everyone!

need advice from everyone using monex

i currently have a verified monex account and i would like to start my NISA but when i tried the instant deposit service (即時入金サービス) and
regular automatic service(定期自動入金サービス) , both ended with the error. my name registered in Monex was only LASTNAME FIRSTNAME1 only and has no FIRSTNAME2 and MIDDLENAME as it wont fit in their system even after removing all the spaces when i talked to the customer representative.
my bank (MUFG) registered name is LASTNAME FIRSTNAME1 FIRSTNAME2 MIDDLENAME.

any advice and what to do regarding the name errors?

i had read in this forum and it is a common problem for us foreigners when registering names as we all have longer names compared to the japanese.

thank you in advance!
William
Regular

Post by William »

I hit the same problem some time ago. Monex registered all my names, but Shinsei didn't when I opened my bank account ten years ago.

I had to change my name with Shinsei, so that it's exactly the same name.