Overwhelmed - Where to Start Looking

Gulliver
Veteran

Re: Overwhelmed - Where to Start Looking

Post by Gulliver »

Haystack wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:01 am
This is now on my wall...we are marking down suggestions to check out! We love the input.
That’s a nice comprehensive map. Can I ask where you got that? Is it online or only hardcopy?
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Gulliver wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:23 am
Haystack wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:01 am
This is now on my wall...we are marking down suggestions to check out! We love the input.
That’s a nice comprehensive map. Can I ask where you got that? Is it online or only hardcopy?

It's a good size too! https://amzn.asia/d/dimXBxu
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

There are regular rankings of best places to live in Tokyo and the suburbs. Have you checked them?
Yokohama area is highly ranked, as is Shimokitazawa, I think, and a couple of places in Saitama. Chiba is not well-placed, which I find a bit odd, as I quite like it.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
DragonAsh
Veteran

Post by DragonAsh »

Gareth wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:01 am The Tama area of Tokyo could suit your needs, particularly around Kodaira, Higashi-Kurume, Higashi-Murayama, Kiyose. Easy access to central Tokyo on the Seibu line. Plenty of quiet neighbourhoods. The houses prices aren’t too ridiculous. Can’t vouch for the schools but they have them!
A lovely area, with some good schools. Lots of green, especially around Hana-koganei. Local governments seem to be pretty child-friendly.
If you're commuting, the Seibu Shinjuku line is a straight shot in to Shinjuku, or has easy transfers to the Yamanote or Tozai lines.

FWIW, I know several people commuting in to Tokyo from Yokohama, and they hate it.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

DragonAsh wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:56 am
Gareth wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:01 am The Tama area of Tokyo could suit your needs, particularly around Kodaira, Higashi-Kurume, Higashi-Murayama, Kiyose. Easy access to central Tokyo on the Seibu line. Plenty of quiet neighbourhoods. The houses prices aren’t too ridiculous. Can’t vouch for the schools but they have them!
A lovely area, with some good schools. Lots of green, especially around Hana-koganei. Local governments seem to be pretty child-friendly.
If you're commuting, the Seibu Shinjuku line is a straight shot in to Shinjuku, or has easy transfers to the Yamanote or Tozai lines.

FWIW, I know several people commuting in to Tokyo from Yokohama, and they hate it.
Thank you, I'm sure many would hate my current commutes. (Varies with the university).

I need to make these down on my map, and estimate travel time and route congestion.

Does anyone have a good site to reference flood tables? The Tama can be unforgiving....
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

Haystack wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:18 pm
Does anyone have a good site to reference flood tables? The Tama can be unforgiving....
https://www.nhk.or.jp/kishou-saigai/datamap/

On this site if you click on the map icon you will get a “hazard maps” option. Click on that and you can add or remove several different layers of hazards including flood levels.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I'd probably be slightly conservative with flooding, etc.

I expect we're going to see a lot more of it in the future :?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)