Travel insurance recommendation?

Ichigo
Regular

Travel insurance recommendation?

Post by Ichigo »

Hello,
I am going back home (EU) in summer for about 2-3 weeks. Is there any travel insurance you can recommend?
I appreciate your help! :)

IchiGo
Tokyo
Veteran

Re: Travel insurance recommendation?

Post by Tokyo »

I used these guys for a recent 3 week European trip. I liked them because they were the most upfront with their Covid policy and at ¥25,000 were either the cheapest or 2nd cheapest of the 5 options we examined. But I didn’t make any claims so cannot speak to their servicing of claims.

< https://tabiho.jp/tb/>
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

The last couple times, admittedly pre-covid, I picked something off a rakuten ranking of travel insurances.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Tokyo wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:07 am I used these guys for a recent 3 week European trip. I liked them because they were the most upfront with their Covid policy and at ¥25,000 were either the cheapest or 2nd cheapest of the 5 options we examined. But I didn’t make any claims so cannot speak to their servicing of claims.

< https://tabiho.jp/tb/>
We used them. We made a claim. It was a serious and life-threatening issue and expensive treatment*. No issues with the process and no extensive follow-ups after we provided documentation.

100% would recommend.

*This treatment would not have been expensive in a 1st world country, unfortunately we were in the southern United States at the time.
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

Tabiho
Yokohama
Regular

Post by Yokohama »

Nobody mentioned travel insurance that come with credit cards? E.g. Rakuten credit card: https://www.rakuten-card.co.jp/overseas/insurance/

I never got insurance, because I was depending on the insurance that comes with the credit cards. Anybody any experience claiming with these types of insurances?
Zara
Regular

Post by Zara »

Haystack,
Did you have to pay everything in US dollars first, then submit receipts and some kind of write-up from the doctor/hospital?
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Zara wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:31 am Haystack,
Did you have to pay everything in US dollars first, then submit receipts and some kind of write-up from the doctor/hospital?
Quick answer: Yes, with a CC. Do not visit America without a high limit credit card. I am very serious about this. Do not rely on CC insurance. Tabiho is very affordable.

I am not sure how familiar everyone is with American healthcare, it was my first and hopefully last experience. They wheel the payment card in the second the doctor leaves, and you are no longer "in danger".

Basically you are given a choice, pay now in full and receive an 300%+ Discount. Pay later any pay 300%+ more, with interest.

There seems to be a somewhat unwritten rule that you should take advantage of these discounts as a "consumer" to ensure that you are repaid promptly with no object from the insurance company.

We opted to pay immediately, presented a bill and explanation via the interface, and they responded before we had to pay interest on the payment. (We had the funds in Japan, but we were using an American Credit card/bank that my SO had leftover from college. Note: I am not sure how this account is still open!).
akashyadav
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by akashyadav »

Hey Tokyo,
can you let me know the insurance you have bought is it was cashless facility or reimbursement ?
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

No idea as I never had the need to make a claim. But Haystack has experience with Tabiho. See above.