Travel insurance recommendation?

Rezz
Regular

Re: Travel insurance recommendation?

Post by Rezz »

Just to piggyback onto this thread this because I'm also looking for travel insurance:

I'm going to two locations for 40 days in total. It seems Tabiho doesn't let you choose a holiday for more than 31 days. Other insurerers I've checked don't allow multiple locations.

Anyone know of any travel insurance companies that would cover me? :cry:
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Rezz wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:46 am I'm going to two locations for 40 days in total. It seems Tabiho doesn't let you choose a holiday for more than 31 days. Other insurerers I've checked don't allow multiple locations.
I’ve used World Nomads for similar trips in the past. Never had to make a claim so can’t comment on that part of it, but it covered long trips travelling through different countries.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Gareth wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:09 am
Rezz wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:46 am I'm going to two locations for 40 days in total. It seems Tabiho doesn't let you choose a holiday for more than 31 days. Other insurerers I've checked don't allow multiple locations.
I’ve used World Nomads for similar trips in the past. Never had to make a claim so can’t comment on that part of it, but it covered long trips travelling through different countries.
I have heard a lot of second and third hand horror stories about this company. However, I have not done the research myself.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Rezz wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:46 am Just to piggyback onto this thread this because I'm also looking for travel insurance:

I'm going to two locations for 40 days in total. It seems Tabiho doesn't let you choose a holiday for more than 31 days. Other insurerers I've checked don't allow multiple locations.

Anyone know of any travel insurance companies that would cover me? :cry:
We were insured through them for over a year, however our status was working abroad and spouse.

You might need to call, or check for a different tab for longer stays.
Rezz
Regular

Post by Rezz »

For anyone who digs this up later and is in a similar situation, I found MS&AD (https://www.ms-ins.com/personal/travel/kairyo/) and "OFF!" (https://www.sompojapan.i-hoken.jp/off/) both offer travel insurance for multiple destinations and more than 31 days (both upto 90 days).

MS&AD were cheaper for the four of us at about 55,000 yen, so we went with them.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Insurance can get tricky for longer stays.

I know some companies won't sell policies to Americans who are visiting the US.

We have made a couple smaller claims over the years on our DC Gold and Saison Visa. Got paid back 100%.

Once had a $700 bill in the US and submitted a claim to Japanese national health. Got about $150 from them.
richbailey
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by richbailey »

Quick question for clarification: My wife and I (US citizens) live and work full time in Japan. (We have regular Japanese health insurance.) If we take a vacation to the US to see family and friends, can we get this kind of travel insurance as US citizens for a trip to the US? (I understand that Japanese health insurance only pays 70% of what Japan would pay for any claims.)
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Yokohama wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:06 am Nobody mentioned travel insurance that come with credit cards? E.g. Rakuten credit card: https://www.rakuten-card.co.jp/overseas/insurance/

I never got insurance, because I was depending on the insurance that comes with the credit cards. Anybody any experience claiming with these types of insurances?
The insurance with Rakuten card only works if you book the trip through a registered travel agent, and pay with your card. Booking flights direct doesn't seem to be valid, but I'm not sure and haven't tried to confirm it.

With the Rakuten Premium card, it's more flexible, as the requirement is (weirdly) that you have to pay at least ¥1 for transport to your port of departure on the card.

I've never tried it, but I'm planning on relying on it later this year.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Rezz wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:05 am For anyone who digs this up later and is in a similar situation, I found MS&AD (https://www.ms-ins.com/personal/travel/kairyo/) and "OFF!" (https://www.sompojapan.i-hoken.jp/off/) both offer travel insurance for multiple destinations and more than 31 days (both upto 90 days).

MS&AD were cheaper for the four of us at about 55,000 yen, so we went with them.
I'm not sure if it was MS&AD that I used last time, but it rings a bell and I'm pretty sure I've used them before. For the US, travel there, this and (I think) others have a number of links/relationships with certain US providers/hospitals. For example, in Honolulu (or Chicago area, etc), they list a hospital or few that (I think) will accept your travel insurance paperwork and bill the company directly, rather than you having to pay upfront and then file for a reimbursement.

You are not limited to those 'partner' providers, but if available I think it makes the process easier overall. I don't think this is something you can shop for, or choose in advance, the listing of those places comes with the paperwork after you've signed up.
Dee.Geo
Regular

Post by Dee.Geo »

adamu wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:06 pm
Yokohama wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:06 am Nobody mentioned travel insurance that come with credit cards? E.g. Rakuten credit card: https://www.rakuten-card.co.jp/overseas/insurance/

I never got insurance, because I was depending on the insurance that comes with the credit cards. Anybody any experience claiming with these types of insurances?
The insurance with Rakuten card only works if you book the trip through a registered travel agent, and pay with your card. Booking flights direct doesn't seem to be valid, but I'm not sure and haven't tried to confirm it.

With the Rakuten Premium card, it's more flexible, as the requirement is (weirdly) that you have to pay at least ¥1 for transport to your port of departure on the card.

I've never tried it, but I'm planning on relying on it later this year.
Any further update on this? Did you try it?
Also, would you know if it applies to the cotraveler (spouse) whose payment is also made using that card?