Travel insurance recommendation?

adamu
Sage

Re: Travel insurance recommendation?

Post by adamu »

Dee.Geo wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:49 am
adamu wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:06 pm
Yokohama wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:06 am Nobody mentioned travel insurance that come with credit cards? E.g. Rakuten credit card: https://www.rakuten-card.co.jp/overseas/insurance/

I never got insurance, because I was depending on the insurance that comes with the credit cards. Anybody any experience claiming with these types of insurances?
The insurance with Rakuten card only works if you book the trip through a registered travel agent, and pay with your card. Booking flights direct doesn't seem to be valid, but I'm not sure and haven't tried to confirm it.

With the Rakuten Premium card, it's more flexible, as the requirement is (weirdly) that you have to pay at least ¥1 for transport to your port of departure on the card.

I've never tried it, but I'm planning on relying on it later this year.
Any further update on this? Did you try it?
Also, would you know if it applies to the cotraveler (spouse) whose payment is also made using that card?
In the end I decided there were too many strings attached, and just bought proper insurance for a few thousand yen.

The Rakuten card insurance seems to be designed for package tours where there's an entity in Japan they can work with if you claim, I wouldn't use it for personal trips.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Any updates to this topic? I am going to Europe for three weeks, and decided to get insurance (I have some cover through a number of credit cards, but don't know the details enough to trust that :lol: ).

Is Tabiho still the best option? Looks like I can get their basic policy for 11,000 yen.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

According to this webpage on kuchikomi ranking < https://kuchiran.jp/money/ins_trvl.html> tabiho is still the most recommended.

But I have been comparing the estimates for the top 4 companies listed over the past several days and found them very difficult to compare given the widely ranging coverage amounts, availability of options, etc. I am much older than you so the quotes I am getting for an upcoming 3-4 week trip to Nth America range greatly from 16,000 to 65,000 yen. When I add in a couple of options it can go up to an amazing 425,000 (no, that’s not a typo). I think I will be skipping the options. :D
Nancy
Regular

Post by Nancy »

Hi, I just found an article about traveling no travel insurance in the US.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... dical-bill
ghodlin

Post by ghodlin »

Very specific question - hope someone can help!

I am British, living in Japan but paying into the UK National Insurance voluntarily (Class 3). I want to travel back to the UK for a holiday of 1 month with my son (British passport holder).

In case it's relevant, in Japan, I pay into the Kokumin Kenko Hoken scheme for me and my son. I also have private 'top-up' insurance for me only.

Will my son and I be able to use the NHS if need be in the UK, or is it advisable/necessary to also get private travel insurance?

Thanks to anyone who can advise!
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

ghodlin wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:17 am Very specific question - hope someone can help!

I am British, living in Japan but paying into the UK National Insurance voluntarily (Class 3). I want to travel back to the UK for a holiday of 1 month with my son (British passport holder).
Voluntary NI contributions are for pension, not healthcare.
I would get travel insurance, to be on the safe side. Or check your credit card to see what minimal cover they offer.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

ghodlin wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:17 am Very specific question - hope someone can help!

In case it's relevant, in Japan, I pay into the Kokumin Kenko Hoken scheme for me and my son. I also have private 'top-up' insurance for me only.

Will my son and I be able to use the NHS if need be in the UK, or is it advisable/necessary to also get private travel insurance?

Thanks to anyone who can advise!
It’s complicated and also depends on which part of the UK. And how long you have been out of the UK and how often you have visited. Information should be available online depending on your circumstances.

As Beanhead says, any NI contributions are irrelevant.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I thought there was a rule about still being able to use the NHS if you had visited the UK annually, but I can't find that anywhere now and it seems unless you are resident in the UK you are not entitled to use NHS. That said, if you have an address in the UK, and rolled up to A&E, I'm not sure there would be any checks to make sure you actually live in the UK. Not suggesting you do that, of course! I've always just assumed my credit card insurance would cover me if the NHS didn't, but this year I have discovered a medical issue that would mean it is prudent to make sure I am covered, just in case. So I will have the double whammy of having to get insurance, and it being more expensive due to this, I assume, pre-existing condition.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:33 am I thought there was a rule about still being able to use the NHS if you had visited the UK annually, but I can't find that anywhere now and it seems unless you are resident in the UK you are not entitled to use NHS.
It is still available in Scotland in some cases.

Visiting the UK, eligibility for NHS treatment
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

adamu wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:54 am
goodandbadjapan wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:33 am I thought there was a rule about still being able to use the NHS if you had visited the UK annually, but I can't find that anywhere now and it seems unless you are resident in the UK you are not entitled to use NHS.
It is still available in Scotland in some cases.

Visiting the UK, eligibility for NHS treatment
Thanks. That's what I was thinking of. I am from Scotland but haven't been back for over two years, but my employer (me!) does give me permission to go back whenever I want, so wonder where I stand!

Reading the PDF, it seems to suggest that anybody can get free emergency care in Scotland! That's really all I'd be worried about.