Travel insurance recommendation?

Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Re: Travel insurance recommendation?

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

northSaver wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:13 am
goodandbadjapan wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:34 am I just signed up with tabiho prime and it was about 13,000 for two weeks in UK but that covers me during transit in Dubai and gives quite a lot of cover. Not sure if it covers getting ill before flight because I am on an Emirates flight that allows free cancellations so wouldn't be out of pocket for the flight anyway. It's a legitimate worry, though. I would just look at what it would cost. If it is not much extra and considerably less than the 26k that you would have to pay for a cancellation, I'd go for it. But if it is a hefty increase, I'd probably just take my chances with what you have. Worst situation, you are down 26k (and a delayed trip home). Annoying, but not the end of the world.
Thanks for your information and advice. After some thought I've decided to pay less and take the risk. I haven't caught influenza yet despite most of the child students having it (but no adults so far strangely enough), so hopefully I can last another week. Also it would be a flight change to the spring or summer, so 13k fee rather than 26k.

By the way, my Mum says that Covid seems to be getting big again in the UK, at least where she lives. That might affect coming back to Japan... but at least the insurance will cover it :) Take care and have a nice trip.
Did you get your flu vaccine and 5th dose of Covid vaccine? That is another, more important type of insurance.

We went with the basic policy for a family of 4 going to Canada.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

northSaver wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:13 am
By the way, my Mum says that Covid seems to be getting big again in the UK, at least where she lives. That might affect coming back to Japan... but at least the insurance will cover it :) Take care and have a nice trip.
Thanks, you too. The covid situation does worry me quite a bit, but not sure there is ever a 'good' time to go and it has been four years since my last trip. Fingers crossed all will be okay.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:18 am Did you get your flu vaccine and 5th dose of Covid vaccine? That is another, more important type of insurance.
We went with the basic policy for a family of 4 going to Canada.
Thanks. Covid yes. I never bother with the flu one. But you're right, the more protection the better.
goodandbadjapan wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:55 am Thanks, you too. The covid situation does worry me quite a bit, but not sure there is ever a 'good' time to go and it has been four years since my last trip. Fingers crossed all will be okay.
Wow, four years. One thing you'll find is that no one wears a mask, even if they're coughing and sneezing in a shop or train. It's quite jarring at first... along with everything else. It usually takes me about a week to get settled in, what with the jetlag and reverse culture shock.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

northSaver wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:11 am
Wow, four years. One thing you'll find is that no one wears a mask, even if they're coughing and sneezing in a shop or train. It's quite jarring at first... along with everything else. It usually takes me about a week to get settled in, what with the jetlag and reverse culture shock.
Yep - preparing myself for the culture shock! I was supposed to go last year but came down with an issue that needed treatment here so cancelled.I sort of envy the way everybody seems to just get on with life without a second thought being given to covid, because I really don't think I am at that stage yet!