new dishwasher day

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
captainspoke
Sage

new dishwasher day

Post by captainspoke »

Had one ordered, it was installed this morning, took about 45min all in. We'll see how it works after dinner, and it's the same make and a nice model so it should be okay. This is a built in, under the counter type. It's our third unit--we had the kitchen done in the late 90s(?) and had replaced that original dishwasher once. The 'old' one that they carried away was dated 2008, so about 14yrs of use.
northSaver
Veteran

Re: new dishwasher day

Post by northSaver »

I've never felt the need for one, personally. I suppose after a big dinner party it would be very useful, but for our family of four it never felt too much to wash them by hand. And now there are only two of us... even less need for it.

The same goes for a clothes dryer. Simply not needed up here in Hokkaido. I couldn't do without a washing machine though, or an electric kettle :)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

northSaver wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:32 am I've never felt the need for one, personally. I suppose after a big dinner party it would be very useful, but for our family of four it never felt too much to wash them by hand. And now there are only two of us... even less need for it.

The same goes for a clothes dryer. Simply not needed up here in Hokkaido. I couldn't do without a washing machine though, or an electric kettle :)
We got one a couple of years ago after a couple of decades without one. Game changer. It's great, it saves water (and arguments), and I would not go back to not having one :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

I think it does a great job on cutting boards, especially like today when I cut up a pack of chicken for soup.

We tend to rinse everything pretty well, use the 'speedy' cycle (~35min?), and never the dry function--just open it when it beeps and the stuff dries on its own. A small pan or sometimes two fit okay, even the wok when there's not a bunch of other things.
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

Another huge dishwasher fan here! We bought our 1st one because all the consumer reports recommended them for optimal cleaning & hygiene yet at minimal cost & water usage. With the exception of a couple of year’s renting when we first arrived here, we have been using dishwashers for 40 years now so I know they’re also incredibly reliable. Now with just the two of us we only have a little Japanese dishwasher but not having that feature in our manshon was as nonnegotiable as having an elevator, delivery boxes for takkyubin, ready access to public transport & groceries, and views of sky & greenery.

People sometimes say you can wash dishes & pots by hand in the sink, and that’s true. You can also wash clothing, towels & sheets by hand in the sink too. Hey, maybe if you wash clothes and pots at the same time you’ll save time & money. LOL!
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

https://sumai.panasonic.jp/dishwasher/products/

M9 series, deep type, is what we got.
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

captainspoke wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:04 am Had one ordered, it was installed this morning, took about 45min all in. We'll see how it works after dinner, and it's the same make and a nice model so it should be okay. This is a built in, under the counter type. It's our third unit--we had the kitchen done in the late 90s(?) and had replaced that original dishwasher once. The 'old' one that they carried away was dated 2008, so about 14yrs of use.
Thanks for starting this thread! A lot of good information and testimonials here and very timely since I've been considering purchasing a dishwasher myself. Mainly because my tap water is hard water and even with the filter button turned on it leaves white spots on the glasses. It doesn't matter how much I clean them and rinse them it always dries with these spots which is like a pet peeve of mine. I know I could dry and buff them with a very clean dish towel but it takes too long and my hands are too big and clumsy to do that efficiently.

As such, the main thing I want to know is if Japanese dishwashers have any detergent and/or function that approximates what Cascade does in American dishwashers. In case you've never heard of Cascade, it's this: https://cascadeclean.com/en-us/how-to/h ... ishwasher/

If they have something like that for Japanese dishwashers then I'm sold!
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Our kitchen was a floor model and it came with a dishwasher (Harmon).
Can't say we needed it, as my wife washes the dishes and then puts them in to get them "really clean." :?

We used it daily for about 5 years, needed a repair, then 5 years later died.
Got an upgraded model and I installed it myself (thanks, YouTube). Took 3 hours but saved ¥30,000.
It's been going well for about 8 years now.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

Teflon wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:01 am ... my tap water is hard water and even with the filter button turned on it leaves white spots on the glasses. It doesn't matter how much I clean them and rinse them it always dries with these spots which is like a pet peeve of mine.
Have you tried very hot (60°) water? I've found using that and then letting them dry upside down on a rack usually takes care of the spot problem. They're so hot they dry pretty quick as well.
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

We had a Rinnai one installed when we built the house. I specifically wanted a Western style pull down door, instead of the more common Japanese draw type dishwashers.

We love having it. There's only 2 of us in the house, so we usually only run it once a day, and usually I set it on a timer so it runs when our solar panels are producing.

It took a few weeks of me telling my wife to stop wasting water washing the dishes before she put them in the dishwasher, but she finally came round and saw how unnecessary it is to wash the dishes twice (once by hand and once in the dishwasher).