Rakuten Cash/楽天キャッシュ

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Haystack
Veteran

Rakuten Cash/楽天キャッシュ

Post by Haystack »

So, the 500 points for 5万 with Rakuten Card via Rakuten Securities comes to an end in August. They now have an updated options to use Rakuten card and Rakuten cash. They also are pretty pushy for you to switch...

I kept my card setting, to get 1 or 2 months more worth of free points. I also set a 1000 yen Tsumitate with Rakuten Cash, just to see how it will work differently as it still charges your Rakuten card, but offers you .5% vs the new .2% with the card alone.

As with everything Rakuten, 楽天キャッシュ seems unnecessary and bloated.

The deal was too good to last though, so I do not feel too sour.

Side note: I have Monex, but they rejected me twice for the Monex card. (I have a Rakuten Card and Amazon Gold with perfect payment history). So I cannot get the 1.1% discount they offer.
Viralriver
Veteran

Re: Rakuten Cash/楽天キャッシュ

Post by Viralriver »

Haystack wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:08 am So, the 500 points for 5万 with Rakuten Card via Rakuten Securities comes to an end in August. They now have an updated options to use Rakuten card and Rakuten cash. They also are pretty pushy for you to switch...

I kept my card setting, to get 1 or 2 months more worth of free points. I also set a 1000 yen Tsumitate with Rakuten Cash, just to see how it will work differently as it still charges your Rakuten card, but offers you .5% vs the new .2% with the card alone.

Side note: I have Monex, but they rejected me twice for the Monex card. (I have a Rakuten Card and Amazon Gold with perfect payment history). So I cannot get the 1.1% discount they offer.
What's the new cash deal they're offering? Not seeing anything on my securities page.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

Viralriver wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:42 am
Haystack wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:08 am So, the 500 points for 5万 with Rakuten Card via Rakuten Securities comes to an end in August. They now have an updated options to use Rakuten card and Rakuten cash. They also are pretty pushy for you to switch...

What's the new cash deal they're offering? Not seeing anything on my securities page.
Really? I was hounded with notifications.

https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/lp/cash_fund/
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Haha I've not been doing much in my 証券 account recently so I don't see my balance and get upset.

So the way I see it is, they've added a new method for investing on top of the current money bridge, credit card and standard bank deposit/setup; using Rakuten cash.

I was under the impression the 1% points back for credit card payment has already been cancelled (and replaced with some other requirements), but I take it you're implying this actually ends in September?

My understanding from the cash method is:
  1. Limit of 50,000 JPY per month
  2. 0.5% points when we top up the cash (standard Rakuten Cash pointback system)
  3. Additional 0.5% campaign points from August -> December when using this on 積立 for a total of 1.0% points
I wonder if we get an additional 1% of points since the money comes from our credit card, but I guess the 0.5% is in place of this?

I do like now that we can do 100k per month of cashless, this will make hitting the 1.2m much easier.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I didn't realize they've nerfed the CC tsumitate from 1% all the way down to 0.2%

I guess its better than nothing but that's a massive downgrade. I guess you could look at it as 50k at 0.2% then another 50k for 0.5% which is a bit better than only 50k before.
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

Looking into it a little more, I realised I was mixing up a couple of things.

Previously we were able to get 1% on max 50k via credit card, plus the +1 SPU for 500 JPY + purchases (with at least 1 point being used). The SPU got significantly nerfed and is basically pointless for most now, but also the 1% is being nerfed to 0.2% in September. But yeah, I guess it's not the end of the world that we'll get 100 JPY for a 50,000 JPY investment, and also an additional 250 JPY if we pay another 50,000 JPY by cash (temporarily 500 JPY until the end of the year). Will need to see if I can auto charge my cash for this now so I don't miss out on payments.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I just checked my account now and its actually more nefarious than I expected. Basically Rakuten Securities grabs the 50k from Rakuten Cash every month to buy your securities. Thats all well and good but to do so, you have to set up your Rakuten Cash to always have 50k in it (to guarantee that Rakuten Securities can grab 50k from it when it needs it). This means you will always have a 50k balance with Rakuten ALL THE TIME and not just when you need it for Securities. If you set up your Rakuten Pay to use Cash for example, any purchase will automatically charge your card to maintain the 50k balance.
Haystack
Veteran

Post by Haystack »

zeroshiki wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:40 pm I just checked my account now and its actually more nefarious than I expected. Basically Rakuten Securities grabs the 50k from Rakuten Cash every month to buy your securities. Thats all well and good but to do so, you have to set up your Rakuten Cash to always have 50k in it (to guarantee that Rakuten Securities can grab 50k from it when it needs it). This means you will always have a 50k balance with Rakuten ALL THE TIME and not just when you need it for Securities. If you set up your Rakuten Pay to use Cash for example, any purchase will automatically charge your card to maintain the 50k balance.
Hmmm when I setup that test 1000 yen Tsumitate I am pretty sure it defaulted to card payment through Rakuten cash. I am not sure non-card was an option! I doubt Rakuten cash has a credit facility...

What it seems to do is set a minimum floor on Rakuten Cash. The app will then keep the balance at that floor.

設定内容
楽天カード からのチャージ
■設定金額
1,000円以上に残高をキープする
TBS

Post by TBS »

For anyone considering this, I'd recommend inputting the new tsumitate order in July rather than this month.

If you do it this month the auto charge/minimum floor means you will pay for the funds bought at the start of August via the end of July's credit card bill payment. If you signup in July (before 12th July), you'll pay at the end of August's credit card bill payment.

Or at least that's what I'll be doing :P
I've not tried to input anything yet, maybe if there is a way to avoid the auto charge minimum floor and charge manually in July, this is a non-issue :lol:
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Haystack wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:38 pm
zeroshiki wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:40 pm I just checked my account now and its actually more nefarious than I expected. Basically Rakuten Securities grabs the 50k from Rakuten Cash every month to buy your securities. Thats all well and good but to do so, you have to set up your Rakuten Cash to always have 50k in it (to guarantee that Rakuten Securities can grab 50k from it when it needs it). This means you will always have a 50k balance with Rakuten ALL THE TIME and not just when you need it for Securities. If you set up your Rakuten Pay to use Cash for example, any purchase will automatically charge your card to maintain the 50k balance.
Hmmm when I setup that test 1000 yen Tsumitate I am pretty sure it defaulted to card payment through Rakuten cash. I am not sure non-card was an option! I doubt Rakuten cash has a credit facility...

What it seems to do is set a minimum floor on Rakuten Cash. The app will then keep the balance at that floor.

設定内容
楽天カード からのチャージ
■設定金額
1,000円以上に残高をキープする
That's what I meant. It will keep 50,000 as your Rakuten Cash balance all the time. So even if you use Rakuten Cash for other things, it will adjust your balance to always be minimum 50,000. Its not a card payment through RCash, its straight up a RCash payment. The balance comes from charging it with credit card so the 0.5% bonus comes from Card->Cash and not Cash->Securities.