Rakuten Cash/楽天キャッシュ

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Rakuten Cash/楽天キャッシュ

Post by RetireJapan »

TBS wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:41 am
RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:26 am I was approved for the card, but couldn't receive it because they sent it super strict recorded delivery, and my stupid ID doesn't match word for word :roll:

Post office just would not give it to me, so it got sent back, along with my dreams.
Lol. The postmen here never check at the door. Only once was when I went to pick up a card at the delivery office: "name doesn't match", he said. "Yea, it's truncated on the letter because too many characters" I said. "Meh" he replied and handed it straight over :lol:.
I've noticed credit card companies do this recently. They send the cards by a stricter recorded delivery en lieu of doing checks as part of the approval process.

As well as the problem with アプラス (which I didn't care enough about to chase up) I had the same issue with Amex, and it was a right pain to get sorted out. I persisted with that one though as I actually wanted the card :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:10 pm Ben? Future blog post material? You already have SBI/Rakuten/Monex it seems :lol:
Ugh, no thanks. No more applications for a while...

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TBS

Post by TBS »

adamu wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:46 am This is relevant to this thread too, because for the 0.5% (temporarily 1%) Rakuten Cash option, if you set it up to use keep, it's going to charge the next month almost immediately after the current month has been deducted, which means the cash sits for approximately six weeks (4 weeks in Rakuten Cash, 2 weeks in the ether between when they deduct and credit your securities account) doing nothing. Although they are deducting from the Credit Card, so there's that to take into consideration too. I've not run the numbers. 😄
Yes, it works out as with the auto-charge you pay the CC bill on the 27th of the month, then the investment is made at the start of the following month. So a few days delay compares to if you had invested via directly instead. So a slight loss, say less than 0.1%.

Without auto-charge, you can charge on the 12th of the month manually, get the investment at the start of the following month, and pay via the CC bill at the end of that month. Circa 4 weeks interest-free leverage, or about 0.4% benefit on average.
TBS

Post by TBS »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:26 am I was approved for the card...
Btw, did you make any other CC applications in the six months prior to applying for the Monex card?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Don't think so.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TBS

Post by TBS »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:08 pm Don't think so.
Thanks!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TBS wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:35 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:08 pm Don't think so.
Thanks!
Actually, come to think of it I think I applied for the Rakuten card around the same time. Got bait and switched on that one :roll:

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

TBS wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:36 am
Yes, credit card applications are hit and miss. FWIW I started SBI/SMBC earlier this year and it was mostly ok (took a call to SBI to be able to link the CC). Monex was a rejection, possibly a name issue or perhaps because I'd applied to SMBC in the same period. Japanese sites say previous CC applications within the past six months is a common rejection cause with Aplus アプラス, the company who administer the Monex card. The sites also say アプラス cards have high rejection rates even for Japanese applicants.
I got the アプラス Monex card, purely for the points after Rakuten decided to change theirs.
Short name must have helped.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I got an error yesterday when trying to make a Rakuten Pay payment due to internet issues, and think I'm done with Rakuten Cash now. Pre paid, inflexible use with time limited points, takes longer than card/QuickPay payments, sometimes fails, and accepted in fewer places is not worth 0.5% on spending to me, it seems. I will do the 50k Tsumitate thing though, but without the "keep" auto-charge, as discussed above.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

I've had it happen to me on Uber eats twice that Rakuten Pay fails. When this happens, something odd happens and my credit card gets locked for 1 day and becomes unusable. Its quite annoying.