Rakuten Cash/楽天キャッシュ

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
TBS

Re: Rakuten Cash/楽天キャッシュ

Post by TBS »

Rakuten have just announced that they are putting the points rates for credit card investing back up again. This comes after they dropped the rate from 1% to 0.2% last year.

Tsumitate with the basic Rakuten Card will go 0.2% -> 0.5%
With Rakuten Gold Card 0.2% -> 0.75%
With Rakuten Premium Card 0.2% -> 1%
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Yeah, I got that email. I will have to check which card I have (presume the basic one).

I'm guessing someone will run the numbers in terms of annual fee vs. points received ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TBS

Post by TBS »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:51 am I'm guessing someone will run the numbers in terms of annual fee vs. points received ;)
The raw numbers say the basic card is the best deal ;)
The extra points on offer for the Gold & Premium cards don't make up for their higher annual card fee.

That said, the Gold & Platinum offer more perks than just these higher 楽天証券 tsumitate points, so this new change will increase the number of people who may benefit overall from a Gold or Platinum card vs a basic card.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Oh good timing, I was just starting to consider cancelling the Premium Card. Well played, Rakuten, although I'm still not going back to the farce that is Rakuten Cash.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

adamu wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:04 am Well played, Rakuten, although I'm still not going back to the farce that is Rakuten Cash.
I decided to just set and forget it for the 50,000 each month from card to cash.
I don't really follow what it does, but the result is that money eventually gets used to buy a fund every month.
It is certainly a convoluted system, though, and I can't imagine using it for normal shopping over PayPay or just a regular credit card.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

beanhead wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:59 pm
adamu wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:04 am Well played, Rakuten, although I'm still not going back to the farce that is Rakuten Cash.
I decided to just set and forget it for the 50,000 each month from card to cash.
I don't really follow what it does, but the result is that money eventually gets used to buy a fund every month.
It is certainly a convoluted system, though, and I can't imagine using it for normal shopping over PayPay or just a regular credit card.
It works fine. It's all set and forget now.

I'll do a 10 万 tsumitate next year, so I appreciate the free points. (Card+cash)

The point bonus makes the gold card almost free, so it might be a good move for those who want a higher limit card (it's only 2000 yen a year).

Rakuten Sec. is gearing up for an IPO. So they need to seem competitive.

Rezz
Regular

Post by Rezz »

Is anyone still using Rakuten cash? I can't seem to find anything that specifies any kind of point bonus on the securities site anymore, so I'm considering switching back to just rakuten card monthly tsumitate nisa purchases and removing the rakuten cash "keep" I have set up (I only do 50,000 per month).

It doesn't seem to be activating the SPU for rakuten ichiba either (30k a month investment using at least one rakuten point).
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

Rezz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:15 pm Is anyone still using Rakuten cash? I can't seem to find anything that specifies any kind of point bonus on the securities site anymore, so I'm considering switching back to just rakuten card monthly tsumitate nisa purchases and removing the rakuten cash "keep" I have set up (I only do 50,000 per month).

It doesn't seem to be activating the SPU for rakuten ichiba either (30k a month investment using at least one rakuten point).
How about this?
General page, before you log in.
https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/rfund ... rcash.html
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.