Amex Marriott Bonvoy Premium CC

One hand washes the other, right?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Amex Marriott Bonvoy Premium CC

Post by RetireJapan »

This is my new main credit card. It's expensive and only useful if you travel a fair amount. Marriott hotels are pretty common, and the points can be transferred to airline miles easily (they also don't expire, unlike JAL/ANA miles).

If you sign up with my link you'll get 45,000 points as an initial offer instead of the usual 30,000 8-)

Send me a PM to get a link.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Viralriver
Veteran

Re: Amex Marriott Bonvoy Premium CC

Post by Viralriver »

Is that 3 points per 100 yen spend always?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Viralriver wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:21 am Is that 3 points per 100 yen spend always?
Yes, but they are Marriott points. I think you get 6 per 100 at a Marriott.

The free family card is nice too.

But definitely a niche product 😉

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

I got one of these earlier this year with a bonus points campaign.
Compared to IHG and Hilton, the Marriott group seems to have lots more hotels in Japan.
We are going to use some of the bonus points we got for a hotel stay in Kansai.
If I use it enough, it may be worth the yearly fee, even in year 2...I think...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

beanhead wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:08 pm I got one of these earlier this year with a bonus points campaign.
Compared to IHG and Hilton, the Marriott group seems to have lots more hotels in Japan.
I was a big fan of SPG, but Marriott bought them a few years ago (which is why they have huge numbers of hotels now). The loyalty program took a hit, but it is still pretty decent. I am mainly interested in it to stockpile points to convert to air miles later when I need them.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

I take it you are talking about the Japan issued Amex, right?

I already have a US-issued Amex Business Bonvoy and Chase personal Bonvoy.

I considered getting a Japan issued one as well as the earnings aren't bad and the extra 15 nights would put me close to platinum every year. However, the fees are a bit steep, as is the required spend to get the nicer benefits.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

beanhead wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:08 pm I got one of these earlier this year with a bonus points campaign.
In the past, I thought Marriott had been a bit soft in Japan compared to IHG, but it is increasing rapidly with Aloft, Moxy and Fairfield (not to mention upscale properties too). The IHG ANA Crowne are all pretty dated in my experience.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TJKansai wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:21 am I take it you are talking about the Japan issued Amex, right?

I considered getting a Japan issued one as well as the earnings aren't bad and the extra 15 nights would put me close to platinum every year. However, the fees are a bit steep, as is the required spend to get the nicer benefits.
Yeah, much as I would love to have access to US credit cards, I am limited to the dregs on offer in Japan ;)

I was pleased to see the Japanese card gives you platinum if you spend 4m yen a year though.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:09 am
TJKansai wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:21 am I take it you are talking about the Japan issued Amex, right?

Yeah, much as I would love to have access to US credit cards, I am limited to the dregs on offer in Japan ;)

I was pleased to see the Japanese card gives you platinum if you spend 4m yen a year though.
It does seem to be a pretty good option for those who can't get the American card, and the platinum benefit is worthwhile if you are spending a fair amount of nights.

I suppose if I focused all my spending on one card I might hit three million, not sure about four million though.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

TJKansai wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 am I suppose if I focused all my spending on one card I might hit three million, not sure about four million though.
Yeah, we're going to hit 1.5m easily for the free night, but 4m is a stretch. Maybe once travel starts up again.

My wife has the free family card, so I get to benefit from her spending too :roll:

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)