When do we think we should do a Lump sum investment?

Bubblegun
Veteran

Re: When do we think we should do a Lump sum investment?

Post by Bubblegun »

captainspoke wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:21 am
Bubblegun wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:45 am... recensions, ...
A complete tangent, but it's interesting that spellcheck would go with something likely very rare, and it is a word, tho a new one for me:

"recension: a revised edition of a text, an act of making a revised edition of a text"
Omg well spotted. 👍
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
MBK
Regular

Post by MBK »

northSaver wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:56 am Here is something I read on a Monday Read link a long time ago and it really struck a chord with me:

"Here's the plan I use with the cash in my portfolio:
When stocks fall 10% from a recent high, I invest half the cash in my portfolio.
When stocks fall 20% from a recent high, I invest half the remaining cash.
When stocks fall 30%, I invest the remaining cash.
Why those levels? In short, because we see 10% declines about once every year or two and 20% declines about once every five to seven years; a 30% decline has happened only six times in the past 70 years. Holding cash for bigger drops is a losing move since the market has always recovered far more than it lost before falling 30% or more again. Sure, it's possible we could see another 30% drop in the next year or less; it's that history says it's not a probability worth betting the farm on."

You can adjust the percentages for other markets too, like bonds (which don't fall as much as stocks usually). And sure, stocks may drop 50% from the high - who knows? - but I personally doubt it. Some smart investors I know are even predicting rate CUTS in the not too distance future!
Very interesting strategy. If this were to be applied to the popular eMaxi All County & US funds, what would be the actual stock price figures?
RMA
Veteran

Post by RMA »

My DCA Plan this year:

1. Put ticker 2559 (emaxis all country ETF) in tradingview
2. Change the candles to heikin ashi
3. Use linear regression indicator (setting 90 days: reason earnings every 3 months)
4. On daily chart time frame, wait for the price to drop to the lower channel of the linear regression
5. Wait for the heikin ashi candle to turn green from red
6. Try to Invest on the first day of green candle (no hard and fast rule)
7. Amount to invest = Total investable amount this year / 365 X No. of days passed in the year - amount already invested. For example: if the total investment amount this year is JPY 1,200,000 and already invested JPY 400,000 so if I have to invest today then the amount will be (1200000/365 X 187) - 400,000 = JPY 214,794. Balance funds (JPY 585,206) keep for future DCA.
8. Any uninvested amount left before the year end then put all that in lumpsum on the last trading day.
mikele3
Veteran

Post by mikele3 »

RMA wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:19 am My DCA Plan this year:

2. Change the candles to heikin ashi
3. Use linear regression indicator (setting 90 days: reason earnings every 3 months)
4. On daily chart time frame, wait for the price to drop to the lower channel of the linear regression
5. Wait for the heikin ashi candle to turn green from red
6. Try to Invest on the first day of green candle (no hard and fast rule)
7. Amount to invest = Total investable amount this year / 365 X No. of days passed in the year - amount already invested. For example: if the total investment amount this year is JPY 1,200,000 and already invested JPY 400,000 so if I have to invest today then the amount will be (1200000/365 X 187) - 400,000 = JPY 214,794. Balance funds (JPY 585,206) keep for future DCA.
8. Any uninvested amount left before the year end then put all that in lumpsum on the last trading day.
AWESOME! ... have been trying to find a ticker to use in TradingView for the eMaxi slim all counties ... not the ETF version though.

Is this why the price for it is ¥13,530 on TradingView and ¥15,993 here: https://finance.yahoo.co.jp/quote/0331418A ?

Also, interesting approach... I'll need a little time to wrap my head around it... I was planning to simply go in by 50% of what available when I believe the bottom is in and start DCA from there.... then 50% on each following large drops, if any. ... time to rethink and improve.
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

RMA wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:19 am
Is this ETF and what we do with (non ETF) emaxis all country for NISA and others same?
I would love to view the emaxis All country (non ETF) on a chart like tradingview.
jcarrera01

Post by jcarrera01 »

RetireJapan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:25 am I have a large amount of cash at the moment, which I am DCAing into mutual funds. At the current rate of purchase (I do an order on Rakuten every time the previous order clears), it will take 15-20 months to be fully invested.

I plan to do a lump sum investment if markets fall considerably/the yen gets stronger/both.

So far that has not happened.
When you say “ I do an order on Rakuten every time the previous order clears”, how many days is the period between 2 orders?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

jcarrera01 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:55 pm When you say “ I do an order on Rakuten every time the previous order clears”, how many days is the period between 2 orders?
Depends on when weekends and holidays fall, and what time I put the order in. Seems like a couple of days to a week or so. I'm not really paying attention :?

Here are some trades from last month. You can see the order date, contract date, and settlement date for each one:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
jcarrera01

Post by jcarrera01 »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:07 pm
jcarrera01 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:55 pm When you say “ I do an order on Rakuten every time the previous order clears”, how many days is the period between 2 orders?
Depends on when weekends and holidays fall, and what time I put the order in. Seems like a couple of days to a week or so. I'm not really paying attention :?

Here are some trades from last month. You can see the order date, contract date, and settlement date for each one:
Thank you for sharing this! That looks like you put 7 orders on a 15 days period, so calculated would be an order every 2 days or so! Amazing.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:07 pm

I was wondering was there a a reason why you chose spot 特定 and not the NISA?

At the moment I'm doing the same as you but with much smaller amounts. ( sad man that I am)lol
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Bubblegun wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:17 am I was wondering was there a a reason why you chose spot 特定 and not the NISA?
NISA is full.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)