How to pay Japanese pension from abroad?

HeavyMetal
Regular

How to pay Japanese pension from abroad?

Post by HeavyMetal »

Hello everyone,
Question's in subject - how to pay Japanese pension from abroad?
I only know it's possible via Prestia bank which allows to keep local account on leaving. But, they have a condition - it must be funded for 500,000+ yen, otherwise, monthly fee of 2,000 yen will be deducted. So Prestia is a workaround, but not very convenient.
Any other way to pay Japanese pension from abroad? Direct international bank transfers, maybe? In this case - could they be done like once a year, or something? Not monthly. Cause transfers aren't cheap...
Thanks!
zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: How to pay Japanese pension from abroad?

Post by zeroshiki »

Why would you be paying INTO Japanese pension when you're not in Japan nor a Japanese national. I'm not a lawyer but that sounds like pension fraud.

On the Japan Pension Office page they say this:

海外に居住することになった時は、国民年金は強制加入被保険者ではなくなりますが、日本国籍の方であれば、国民年金に任意加入することができます。

If you're going to live overseas you can OPTIONALLY pay into kokumin nenkin as long as you are a Japanese citizen.
HeavyMetal
Regular

Post by HeavyMetal »

Oh. Citizens only. That makes things harder 8-)
zeroshiki wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:54 am Why would you be paying INTO Japanese pension when you're not in Japan nor a Japanese national. I'm not a lawyer but that sounds like pension fraud.
Because, if I have paid in Japan for some years, I will lose them all if I cancel (yeah I know I can get some money back on leaving). And the idea that I'll have to start paying in another country from scratch doesn't sound exciting either...
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

HeavyMetal wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:57 pm
Because, if I have paid in Japan for some years, I will lose them all if I cancel (yeah I know I can get some money back on leaving). And the idea that I'll have to start paying in another country from scratch doesn't sound exciting either...
Will you have made 10 years' worth of contributions ?
That is the minimum to get something from the Japanese pension system.

If not, as you said you can get just a few years (3?) back if you leave.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

beanhead wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:52 am
Will you have made 10 years' worth of contributions ?
That is the minimum to get something from the Japanese pension system.

If not, as you said you can get just a few years (3?) back if you leave.
https://retirewiki.jp/wiki/Japanese_pen ... withdrawal
I think it's five years now.

Edit Next statement inccorect:
Whilst not within the letter of the rules, if close to 10 years an option might be to pay two years in advance prior to departing Japan.
NOTE: I don't know if this is possible at any time or just once per year when you receive the pension bill. There was an option to pay two years in advance when I was last paying my daughter's pension.

Correction: If you pay in advance then leave Japan your ward will notify the pension office who will attempt to contact you about reimbursements.
Last edited by Moneymatters on Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That guy"
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

Also condider that if you don't take the lump sum, you keep your existing credits, should you ever move back. And depending on the country, they can count towards that country's pension too.
ClearAsMud
Veteran

Post by ClearAsMud »

Moneymatters wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:49 am
... an option might be to pay two years in advance prior to departing Japan.
No, that interesting workaround won't fly. As stated on multiple websites (Suginami Ward's, for example), unless you're a Japanese national who wants to continue enrollment on a voluntary basis, any pension premiums paid in advance that are applicable to periods after your departure will be refunded to you (and actually receiving that refund is likely to prove challenging if you're not Japanese).

The deadline for arranging for advance payment is the end of each February for the following year or two (with another August deadline if you're paying 6 months in advance). Paying two years in advance takes 15,790 yen off the total premium -- much more generous than the 4,170 yen discount you get for paying a year in advance.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

ClearAsMud wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:51 am
Moneymatters wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:49 am
... an option might be to pay two years in advance prior to departing Japan.
No, that interesting workaround won't fly. As stated on multiple websites (Suginami Ward's, for example), unless you're a Japanese national who wants to continue enrollment on a voluntary basis, any pension premiums paid in advance that are applicable to periods after your departure will be refunded to you (and actually receiving that refund is likely to prove challenging if you're not Japanese).

The deadline for arranging for advance payment is the end of each February for the following year or two (with another August deadline if you're paying 6 months in advance). Paying two years in advance takes 15,790 yen off the total premium -- much more generous than the 4,170 yen discount you get for paying a year in advance.
Oops! made note in my comment. thanks!
"That guy"
HeavyMetal
Regular

Post by HeavyMetal »

Called the pension office and yes, 1. you have to be Japanese citizen to keep paying from abroad, and 2. it's max of 5 years can be refunded (not 100% of paid amount as they said)
Also, it is possible to keep paying if you left Japan for some time and then return (unless lump sum was withdrawn)
But no payments from abroad for foreigners anyway.
These were answered here already, so just a confirmation.
emikami
Regular

Post by emikami »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:54 am Why would you be paying INTO Japanese pension when you're not in Japan nor a Japanese national. I'm not a lawyer but that sounds like pension fraud.
Check if the other country has a Social Security Totalization agreement with Japan. If so, you might be able to claim Japanese pension even if you're under the number of years you're normally required. You total the number of years in both countries to see if you're above the minimum to qualify for both pension. Of course, the benefit will be tiny because of all the 0 earnings years you must average but it's better than a complete loss.