Time to coast/barista FIRE - things to prepare?

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
adamu
Sage

Re: Time to coast/barista FIRE - things to prepare?

Post by adamu »

captainspoke wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:52 am If you were my son/daughter, or son/daughter-in-law and talking about this, I'd say you were nuts.
That's what people said to me when I quit my career in IT to come to Japan and work on a farm.

I was back in IT 4 months later though, so maybe that proves your point. 😅

It sounds more like they want a break rather than real FIRE, and like they said unless they really burn some bridges they can always get another job. The time out could even be valuable, as long as practicalities like "we're not willing to lease an apartment to you, unemployed foreigner", don't get in the way.
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

adamu wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:18 am...
It sounds more like they want a break rather than real FIRE, and like they said unless they really burn some bridges they can always get another job. The time out could even be valuable, as long as practicalities like "we're not willing to lease an apartment to you, unemployed foreigner", don't get in the way.
That sounds better, tho this is you saying that, when it is OP that needs a good whack upside the head.

No bridges burned, great. Temporary break, great.

Sorry for being so direct, but sometimes, after page six, someone has to step in.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

captainspoke wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:52 am Gosh, a six-page thread that I haven't commented on yet?

Here you go...

¥35M is nowhere near enough--you should have 3-5 times that much at your age to even consider this. You've tendered your resignation, so live with that--but you should be looking for a new job in your career field, like right now, if not last week.

The "barista" angle is extremely weak. From scanning thru this, you have not thought this thru before submitting your resignation (and that's a huge understatement). You think you've made it, but you haven't. People responding to you here are being too polite. If you were my son/daughter, or son/daughter-in-law and talking about this, I'd say you were nuts.

And, I tried different ways to write more here, deleted it, tried again, and have given up.

You're not ready for what you're envisioning.
I pretty much agree with you, but remember he is talking about coast fire, so he would be hoping to leave that ¥35m invested for 20 years or so and then get an 'easy' job that gives him less stress and covers expenses until he retires. But as he doesn't own a house and is still relatively young, I suspect those expenses might end up being more than such a job would provide. If he can pull it off, he'll probably be ok in retirement, but getting there might not be much fun.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

captainspoke wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:30 am after page six, someone has to step in.
Gulliver did that on page 4, which is also when the OP stopped replying :D
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

adamu wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:22 am
captainspoke wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:30 am after page six, someone has to step in.
Gulliver did that on page 4, which is also when the OP stopped replying :D
Hopefully, OP is still reading.
fiskebyxa
Regular

Post by fiskebyxa »

Happy to see so many new posts here! Was not expecting this much feedback.
Thank you all for your input.

I'll will reply to specific comments further down.

First, the latest updates about my resignation process.
Had another meeting with our 取締役 that mainly was about trying to convince me to not take my 35 days of paid leave that I am entitled to before my final working day.
Seems like the only reason the 取締役 had was that CEO would not like it.
I said that we could involve the company HR representative to discuss this further and then he sort of accepted that I will be taking my 35 days leave no matter what.

We still have not decided on a final date. We will need further discussions between my manager and 取締役. It is difficult to organize as we are not always in the same office. I suggested that we do it online as soon as possible, but that idea was shut down as this is not a topic you should discuss online according to 取締役 .

I suspect that my company will try to ignore/postpone this as long as possible, and hopefully the problem will go away.
But we will get there in the end somehow. I am in no rush to quit and I am OK with letting this process take its time to make everyone happy.
fiskebyxa
Regular

Post by fiskebyxa »

Kiro wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:34 pm If they’re asking you to change your last day to one of their liking, and if it’s not suitable to you but you still comply, I would try to go for the 会社都合…
And if they only want to let you go next year, you can maybe try asking for a few months of 退職金.
But then again, if your contract says 14 days notice, and you are already giving them 3 months, you are being more than generous.
We have a fixed 退職金 system according to our company rule book. Not sure how much room for negotiation we have there.
会社都合 would put me in a different 退職金 bracket so that would also not be very desirable from the company side.
But always worth asking about.

I figured out that I could negotiate an extended free stay in the company subsidized apartment.
For example if my final work day is Dec 31st, and they let me stay there 1-2 months extra.
fiskebyxa
Regular

Post by fiskebyxa »

Gulliver wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:00 am My major concern would be with your “barista” part of the equation. If you’re using the word barista literally, the chances of you finding a job at a Starbucks or some nice coffee shop in Japan at the age of 40 or 50 is problematic. Here they mostly recruit cute young employees to attract customers.

Being unemployed or underemployed at your age makes you an “undesirable” in Japanese culture. So now that you can’t find a job as a barista your other options will be convenience stores, prep cook, or other hard manual labor for which you may or may not have experience. You’re ideal of being able to coast smoothly into the sunset may end up being more of a bumpy grind than you think. Then you’re actually back where you started aren’t you?

If I were you I would stick with it for a bit longer- for however long it takes to be able to take the barista/temporary work variable out of your FIRE equation. Sounds like you are a competent saver and you’re not too far off from being able to do this anyway.

Of course if you’re simply looking to throw caution to the wind and make a change, which is a perfectly valid reason, go for it.
It will be a bumpy ride for sure!

I don't think I'll take on jobs as barista, konbini staff etc.
I would prefer jobs with 100% flexibility. Which would be uber delivery, timee etc.
The rest of the time, I would work hard to try to create income online. Preferably passive income.

If everything fails. Then I just go back doing a full time job as I am doing now.
fiskebyxa
Regular

Post by fiskebyxa »

adamu wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:29 pm Maybe fiskebyxa can carve out a niche putting milk in people's tea.
This will be my first task after my resignation :)
fiskebyxa
Regular

Post by fiskebyxa »

beanhead wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:36 pm Totally agree that doing 'baito' style of work does not seem so attractive.

I guess you know this, but the reason it is called barista FIRE is because Starbucks gives healthcare cover, even to part-time employees. That is the cost that many Americans are most concerned with if they FIRE. So working a bit, just to get some heathcare cover, came to be known as Barista FIRE.

Context in Japan is different obviously, as basic health insurance is provided by the state and we all have to pay for it.

Also, I presume that most of us would try something different to Japanese folks to earn a few yen on the side. I don't anticipate seeing grey-haired gaijin standing by holes in the road at night with a light, or 'directing' traffic in supermarket car parks.
I didn't know this about Barista FIRE.
Maybe a similar thing here in Japan would be IKEA FIRE.

IKEA offer the same benefits to part-time employees as full-time employees. (maybe Starbucks do too?)