National Insurance: Neglecting payments and how to turn it around

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: National Insurance: Neglecting payments and how to turn it around

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

volatileresolve wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:10 am Well, today I received a letter from HMRC.

My request to pay Class 2 voluntary payments, with all the back pay I requested has been approved.

Excellent news for me, and also the deadline to make the payments is April 2025. It should be very doable indeed.

That said, I still have to write another document and send that off.

From the time I sent the first letter, to this point, it has taken almost exactly one year.

Thanks to those who helped out, particularly Wales4rugbyWC19. Maybe Wales4rugbyWC23? :D
Glad to have been of help.

Yes, definitely thinking of changing my username to Wales4rugbyWC23 can you do that Ben???
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:38 pm Yes, definitely thinking of changing my username to Wales4rugbyWC23 can you do that Ben???
Apparently yes 😁
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:28 pm
Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:38 pm Yes, definitely thinking of changing my username to Wales4rugbyWC23 can you do that Ben???
Apparently yes 😁
Just found out!!! :lol:
volatileresolve
Regular

Post by volatileresolve »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:38 pm
volatileresolve wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:10 am Well, today I received a letter from HMRC.

My request to pay Class 2 voluntary payments, with all the back pay I requested has been approved.

Excellent news for me, and also the deadline to make the payments is April 2025. It should be very doable indeed.

That said, I still have to write another document and send that off.

From the time I sent the first letter, to this point, it has taken almost exactly one year.

Thanks to those who helped out, particularly Wales4rugbyWC19. Maybe Wales4rugbyWC23? :D
Glad to have been of help.

Yes, definitely thinking of changing my username to Wales4rugbyWC23 can you do that Ben???
Thanks. Hopefully the thread is also helpful to those who have not heard back from HRMC yet but began the process before the deadline (assuming that the deadline is now passed and hasn't been extended).
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

The whole thing has been extended to 2025 :D

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-deadline
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
volatileresolve
Regular

Okay, so I made an online payment to pay off 16 years of voluntary back pay last week.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the government website to update the national insurance contributions? :)
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

volatileresolve wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:34 pm Okay, so I made an online payment to pay off 16 years of voluntary back pay last week.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the government website to update the national insurance contributions? :)
Ages. Check back again in 3 or 4 months.
Many of us wrote letters as well outlining exactly what we were back paying. That may prevent your payment from getting 'lost'.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
volatileresolve
Regular

beanhead wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:38 pm
volatileresolve wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:34 pm Okay, so I made an online payment to pay off 16 years of voluntary back pay last week.

Many of us wrote letters as well outlining exactly what we were back paying. That may prevent your payment from getting 'lost'.

Thank you for your response.
I may also call them to check.
Thanks again!
volatileresolve
Regular

beanhead wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:38 pm

Just to update on this, I checked my National Insurance contributions today and found that all 16 years of back payments had now been covered.

I hadn't called or written to HMRC, but would have done today if the contributions hadn't gone through. I have to say, my retirement already looks way better now. Thanks to everyone who helped out and to our host for setting up this forum!
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

volatileresolve wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:49 am
I hadn't called or written to HMRC, but would have done today if the contributions hadn't gone through. I have to say, my retirement already looks way better now. Thanks to everyone who helped out and to our host for setting up this forum!
Isn't it a brilliant feeling to see that record of what you are entitled to?
I just got a letter from HMRC today, confirming that they have fixed the mistake they made on my account.

Whatever happens to that UK state pension in the future, life will be easier with it than without.
In an ideal world, my Japanese pension (kosei salaryman version) and UK pension could take care of most of our costs in retirement. A very nice situation.

Thanks to Ben, and whoever dragged him kicking and screaming into looking into voluntary NICs a few years ago. :D
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.