SBI/NISA: putting money into the account

inaka_rob

SBI/NISA: putting money into the account

Post by inaka_rob »

What is the best way to put money in the SBI/NISA account?

A: What is the best way to put a one time payment in? They want us to get an ATM card just to deposit money. Do we really have to get an ATM card? Do we have to pay furikomi every time?

B: Is there a way to set up automatic monthly pay from our regular J-bank to the SBI/NISA account?
Akatani
Regular

Re: SBI/NISA: putting money into the account

Post by Akatani »

When I signed up I read that Post Office accounts had free furikomi to the SBI accounts, so I just did it that way. Whenever I want to put money in, I initiate the furikomi from the SBI site, which opens the Post Office online banking. It's pretty easy after the first time.
Jamo
Regular

Post by Jamo »

I opened an SBI hybrid account. Makes deposits and withdrawals very easy (instantaneous and free). They also give you a debit card, also handy for online purchases (I don't like credit cards). And the card gets you free withdrawals at 7-eleven, Family Mart etc.
Tomthumb16
Regular

Post by Tomthumb16 »

SBI has a tsumitate NISA account which comes out of your account every month. Only downside is you can only contribute ¥400,000 per year.
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

I had similar questions and phoned them up. It seems that if you have an online account with one of the approved banks on their site you can do it free through internet banking (the post office is indeed one of those that you can use.) Otherwise you can send by furikomi from any bank account to one of SBI's three accounts that they have on their site, but will have to pay a furikomi fee. I'm trying to set up the former but now have to go to the bank to tell them that SBI won't use my middle name (means my name is too long) so can my bank adjust my account name accordingly or at least note that even without the middle name the bank account and SBI account are held by the same person. This should be fun.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

goodandbadjapan wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am I had similar questions and phoned them up. It seems that if you have an online account with one of the approved banks on their site you can do it free through internet banking (the post office is indeed one of those that you can use.) Otherwise you can send by furikomi from any bank account to one of SBI's three accounts that they have on their site, but will have to pay a furikomi fee. I'm trying to set up the former but now have to go to the bank to tell them that SBI won't use my middle name (means my name is too long) so can my bank adjust my account name accordingly or at least note that even without the middle name the bank account and SBI account are held by the same person. This should be fun.
Ha, ha, good luck! :shock:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goodandbadjapan
Veteran

Post by goodandbadjapan »

[/quote]

Ha, ha, good luck! :shock:
[/quote]

Wasn't too bad, apart from the obvious stress that comes with handwriting your address in kanji in front of bank staff! Finally, after only about two years of procrastinating, I think I have almost got my NISA up and running. Just need the NISA confirmation from SBI and then try to actually buy something.