Credit cards getting declined

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Viralriver
Veteran

Credit cards getting declined

Post by Viralriver »

Hi all, I'm posting this out of some "mild" frustration, but also looking for some advice if you have any tips, etc.

So, my rakuten premium card gets declined when I use it online, a lot. No matter how many times I call them, it keeps happening. I've kept my SMBC gold card for times like this since it generally never gets declined.

Now I'm on holiday, I've switched my SIM to a new SIM in thailand since my Japan SIM is super super super expensive for roaming. I tried to use my Rakuten card for a flight back, declined. Switched to SMBC, declined. Now no matter what website I use, they both get declined. My girlfriend tried to buy the flight for me; declined. I can't call up as my Thai sim doesn't allow international calls. I can't unblock my cards since it requires clicking a link in the SMS, of the SIM that I am not using and cannot receive messages abroad.

So, what should I do in this situation? I'm having to hope right now that I can get enough cash out (if that's not declined too..) and can still buy flights the old school way at the airport. Has anyone else been in the same predicament and managed to get their cardholder to just stop blocking the card?

I have more than 2m JPY credit remaining on my cards, have never overspent and have never not paid back immediately, never used ribobarai, etc. It's incredibly infuratiaing that this keeps happening :( .
Tkydon
Sage

Re: Credit cards getting declined

Post by Tkydon »

I wonder if a VPN Software to Japan would work???

Or PayPal???

But, then I don't know how you'd set up a new account for either...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

It can help to inform CC companies if you will be going abroad.

Very frustrating problem though. My wife has a CC for her business, and every time we try to use it to pay Facebook the CC company blocks the transaction :roll:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
goran
Veteran

Post by goran »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:08 am It can help to inform CC companies if you will be going abroad.

Very frustrating problem though. My wife has a CC for her business, and every time we try to use it to pay Facebook the CC company blocks the transaction :roll:
For Rakuten, how do you inform them about going out of Japan? Is there a link or a function on their website/app?
Sorry for dumb question.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

gnakarmi wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:15 am For Rakuten, how do you inform them about going out of Japan? Is there a link or a function on their website/app?
Sorry for dumb question.
I just call my CC company at the usual number (don't really use Rakuten CC so don't know what their number is)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Viralriver
Veteran

Post by Viralriver »

I'm in the habit of calling up Rakuten every time I leave (using the number on the back of the card). I let them know my expected expenditure and duration, but unfortunately I still run into these issues.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I Had the same problems years ago, but it was just for security. The purchase was unusual, as it was a laptop, and the place was unusual, Japan. The company called the bank, and we got it cleared. Might be better to go directly to the agent/airline shop, then use the card, if declined ask the airline to call, so you can speak to them. I ended up speaking to my bank directly, to authorize the purchase. Luckily they've stopped scam purchases too.EG NEW YORK.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

I don't have a solution to your immediate problem, but a good cautionary tale for other readers. Always have at least three, plus an international ATM compatible account (plus I carry Wise nowadays). But I must say, your tolerance of the shoddy service from Rakuten is remarkable... I would've dropped them ages ago. I can count on one hand the declined purchases I've had over the last 20 years. It really shouldn't happen, and certainly not repeatedly, or when you've already informed them of your trip.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

I heard a story about the Rakuten CEO trying to buy everyone's drinks at a tech event in San Francisco with his Rakuten Card, and it got declined. :lol:

Might be urban legend, but funny anyway.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

SMBC Trust Bank Prestia Global Pass...

Never had a problem with this or my regular SMBC Prestia Trust Club Visa Card
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.