35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA
Moneymatters
Veteran

Re: つみたてNISA Beginner question

Post by Moneymatters »

tim wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:15 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:55 am Here is a complete comparison -> https://shintaro-money.com/emaxisslim-sp500/

2. You cannot. You need to sell, and rebuy. You will need to file the taxes yourself at yearend.
Thank you for the link, will read more about this.

hmmm I see, by the way is it easy to file taxes here Japan?
and when is that?
Is that the paper you have to file before December?

I guess the end of December thing is the annual adjustment form. 年末調整
This is very limited and won't cover you declaring gains from your 一般 holding account.
For that you'll need to make a formal tax return between mid-Feb to mid-March.

Importantly, you don't need to report activity in that 一般 account until you have a taxable event. (E.g. sell something).
So if you don't want that drama for a while just don't sell what's in there right now. Put if off for a decade or three. :P

and speaking of:
"by the way is it easy to file taxes here Japan? "
"by the way" :lol: Love it.

Yes. It's very easy.*

I managed my last tax return with limited prep using a PC browser/mynumber card and it included some capital gains.
Despite being able to read Japanese (and using a browser plug-in for unfamiliar terms) I found it quite challenging.
If you can, have a native person standing by to help. Just make sure it's not someone that just randomly clicks things to see what they do... ;)

*(Compared to climbing mount everest blindfolded and your snowboot laces tied together.)
"That guy"
tim
Regular

Re: つみたてNISA Beginner question

Post by tim »

Moneymatters wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:28 am Importantly, you don't need to report activity in that 一般 account until you have a taxable event. (E.g. sell something).
So if you don't want that drama for a while just don't sell what's in there right now. Put if off for a decade or three. :P
Thank you for affirming this, wasn't sure if I need to do taxes even though I'm not selling.
Don't want to deal with taxes right now, just want to start investing first.
Allocations
35% US Stocks
30% JPN Stocks
35% tNISA