Cash out from fund and invest in NISA?

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: Cash out from fund and invest in NISA?

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

The fact that the fund has been successful over a short five year period should not affect how you analyze it going forward.

Everything did well over that period.

The OP did not make an informed decision. They need to invest a little time and energy into educating themselves, then re-evaluate.
niall24

Post by niall24 »

I've been in several Banner funds over the years. A few of them did OK (so I didnt mind paying the high fees), but a few did badly.

This Australian (Ebisu) fund seems to be doing OK but it is riskly.

A friend here invested in a similar fund ("LM" I think it was called) over 10 years ago - it collapsed and he is still waiting to see if they will pay him anything.

In general, in my experience with Banner funds, when a fund was terminated or I wanted the cash, it took between 2 to 3 months for the cash (from one of these overseas funds) to arrive in my account. And it was alwasy a hassle sending proofs of address and ID etc etc.

I think it would be easier and safer to invest in some Japan based fund in SBI or Rakuten, and/or use Interactive Brokers for US-based funds (IB has an English interface, but with IB most people have to submit tax declaration every year). If you have your own broker account (like Rakuten or IB) you can do the buying and selling yourself and thus avoid all those "Adviser" fees. And if you need money urgently, you can sell some or all of your investment in minutes and get your money transferred into your account in 1 or 2 days, rather than waiting 2 or 3 months (as is the case with these exotic funds like Ebisu).
Last edited by niall24 on Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
outhouse_critic

Post by outhouse_critic »

Many thanks again to you all for your detailed responses and for taking the time to help me with your excellent knowledge.
TBS

Post by TBS »

Tkydon wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:42 pm Yeah, if the USD eventually weakens significantly, it could seriously impact the returns on any NISA investment made in USD denominated assets going forward... ;-)
"There is a currency risk with low fee, broad sector, passively-managed index funds composed of international companies. So instead I recommend a high fee, offshore, translucent fund, investing in a minor sector of the world's 13th largest economy, which also has a currency risk." :D