Deadline to back pay U.K. state pension approaching

kuma
Veteran

Re: Deadline to back pay U.K. state pension approaching

Post by kuma »

Unless the back payment is for either of the last two years, the payment will be at the current rate. (Source: https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-i ... ions/rates)

Payment information is on the wiki. Be sure to follow up any payment with clear confirmation as to the tax year(s) it represents.

I’ve not had to wrangle with forecasts myself, but the gov.uk site lists multiple ways to get one (online, phone, post): https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension. Be very clear about your circumstances in any communication: already paying voluntary contributions; wish to back pay 20xx-20yy. (Basically, try to eliminate the possibility that the response is that making ongoing contributions as you’re already doing will be beneficial.)

Best of British, and let us know how you get on. Info/experience could be useful to others with similar or related queries.
ExpatScot
Regular

Post by ExpatScot »

Thanks everyone for the advice, I’ll send off a letter this week.
SOT
Regular

Post by SOT »

Thanks for this reminder, it's most appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone knew how they go about verifying where you've worked in Japan. Do they contact the company directly or somehow get the info off the Japanese taxman? Or maybe just take your word for it!

One place I worked doesn't exist anymore, so contacting them directly would be tricky.

Also, would like to give a heads up to my current workplace if it's likely that they'll be contacted directly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

SOT wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:13 am Thanks for this reminder, it's most appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone knew how they go about verifying where you've worked in Japan. Do they contact the company directly or somehow get the info off the Japanese taxman? Or maybe just take your word for it!

One place I worked doesn't exist anymore, so contacting them directly would be tricky.

Also, would like to give a heads up to my current workplace if it's likely that they'll be contacted directly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
I have never had to verify where I have worked in Japan to make my voluntary NI contributions.
SOT
Regular

Post by SOT »

Thanks for the reply.

On the application form they asked for a work history, so assumed that it would be checked. Maybe it's just a box ticking exercise.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Likewise, never had any work history verified, and have not heard of this being the case for others. I know people whose former places of employment no longer exist and they’ve had no problems with their application.

My understanding is that they want exact dates of each employment, and that any periods between employment (/self employment) will be ineligible for Class 2 contributions.
SOT
Regular

Post by SOT »

That's reassuring. Thanks for taking the time.
kuma
Veteran

Post by kuma »

Good to hear several people are applying.

All questions encouraged. Updates too.

Good luck!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

My direct debit seems to have stopped working again. This is the second time.

Very frustrating. I guess getting them to send me a bill each year would be the safer option. I also need to backpay the gaps due to HMRC not taking my money.

Will try and call next week. I guess I should get a blog post out of it at least :roll:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:11 am My direct debit seems to have stopped working again. This is the second time.

Very frustrating. I guess getting them to send me a bill each year would be the safer option. I also need to backpay the gaps due to HMRC not taking my money.

Will try and call next week. I guess I should get a blog post out of it at least :roll:
I gave up on direct debit a few years ago. Never got it to work. Instead I wait for the annual letter about how much to pay for the previous year, then pay it by bank transfer. I've also had problems in the past of them not allocating the payment to my pension "account" (and not returning it either) so I always send a letter each time I pay - with lots of details - confirming I made the payment and what to do with it. The process is working well now, albeit very slowly :)