Junior NISA, NISA, iDeco plan

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Junior NISA, NISA, iDeco plan

Post by RetireJapan »

Tkydon wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:31 pm Yen is still weak against USD, but promises to strengthen against USD by end of year.
Start of Next Year promises to be the bottom for the start of the next Bull Market.
PSA: this may happen, may not. At this point nobody knows and while it is fun to speculate I don't recommend making decisions based on this (ie just make a sensible plan to invest and carry it out regardless of what the market does or doesn't do).
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:16 am
Tkydon wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:31 pm Yen is still weak against USD, but promises to strengthen against USD by end of year.
Start of Next Year promises to be the bottom for the start of the next Bull Market.
PSA: this may happen, may not. At this point nobody knows and while it is fun to speculate I don't recommend making decisions based on this (ie just make a sensible plan to invest and carry it out regardless of what the market does or doesn't do).
Indeed. Tkydon, show your recepits.

I want to see you LEAPS and other long dated index and currency call options that show your fully committed to this timeline. :lol:
cocacola
Regular

Post by cocacola »

Tkydon wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:31 pm If you have the cash, go full NISA this year... too late to take advantage of Tsumetate-ing and Tsumetate limit is much lower.
Will-do, planning on pulling the trigger on that.
Next year, max out iDECO for both, and remember the Tax Free Gift limit of Y1.1M per year per recipient... so with iDECO and T-NISA contributions you would still be well under that limit... max iDECO and complete the Y1.1M with NISA.
Yup, have the cash ready for this. Thanks for the reminder of the tax-exemption limit for gifting.
Start of Next Year promises to be the bottom for the start of the next Bull Market... Get ready to pull the trigger to put the money in...
Let's see how things go. After maxing-out NISA, T-NISA, iDeco, I will still have cash left to invest. I don't think I can time anything right, but at least I could have my sights on DCA'ing into say, an Emaxis S&P500 or something. That would be in a taxable investment account, but at least it might be better than keeping my yen in cash...

Thanks for the tips!
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:02 am

I want to see you LEAPS and other long dated index and currency call options that show your fully committed to this timeline. :lol:
Well, it doesn't make much difference whether it does or it doesn't if you have to pull the trigger by Year-End...

The Fed will raise rates again today, 2 Nov 2022 and on 14 Dec 2022, which will have the effect of pushing Bond, Equities and Housing prices further down (my thesis throughout this year), and probably the Yen weaker (I admit I had not taken that into account in my thesis earlier in the year), but then depending on their projections will (maybe) indicate their strategy for future hikes or cuts in 2023... Along with all the other Central Banks, with maybe the exception of China.

The BOJ has already, and probably will continue to intervene in the currency markets to prevent the Yen from weakening too far too fast.

Historically, the Stock Market has bottomed when the Fed indicates its first rate cut after a long series of hikes... which makes sense from a DCF perspective.

I'm not trying to time the market, I just don't see anything I want to buy at the prices I want to pay, due in part to the Yen Weakness...
Last edited by Tkydon on Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Tkydon wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:56 am
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:02 am

Well, it doesn't make much difference whether it does or it doesn't if you have to pull the trigger by Year-End...

The Fed will raise rates again today, 2 Nov 2022 and on 14 Dec 2022, which will have the effect of pushing Bond, Equities and Housing prices further down (my thesis throughout this year), and probably the Yen weaker (I admit I had not taken that into account in my thesis earlier in the year), but then depending on their projections will (maybe) indicate their strategy for future hikes or cuts in 2023...

The BOJ has already, and probably will continue to intervene in the currency markets to prevent the Yen from weakening too far too fast.

Historically, the Stock Market has bottomed when the Fed indicates its first rate cut after a long series of hikes... which makes sense from a DCF perspective.

I'm not trying to time the market, I just don't see anything I want to buy at the prices I want to pay, due in part to the Yen Weakness...
I do not think anyone disagrees with the broad strokes, but there are lot factors that complicate things beyond this.

Whether the Fed signals a relaxation in it`s interest rate rises or not, with say a .5 and not .75 percent raise; or more likely with a carefully worded statement after a .75 raise, can and have a huge impact.

Equities could very well rebound in response to relaxation language.

I just do not think it is nearly as black and white. But, I would not put any money on it. Derivatives or otherwise.
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

And a NISA investment before year end with 0% Capital Gains Tax (saving 20.315%) would have an advantage over a sum invested at a lower price next year, but liable for Capital Gains Tax in the future...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

cocacola
Regular

Post by cocacola »

I am preparing to make a purchase for my Regular NISA at Sumitomo Mitsui Trust.

I am planning on moving my NISA account from Sumitomo Mitsui next year, as they do not provide the Emaxis Slim All-Country fund. However, I want to take advantage of this year's Regular NISA amount and max-out my contribution at my current Sumitomo NISA, even if it's not the Emaxis fund.

What happens if the fund that I purchase at Sumitomo is not available at the bank/exchange/financial service provider that I switch to next year?

For example, if I purchase this fund at Sumitomo, but it's not available at Monex, what happens to the stocks in the Sumitomo NISA when I move my NISA account to Monex? Do I have to sell the stocks? Will they carry-over to the Monex NISA account?

Sorry for the rudimentary question!
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

You should leave your 2022 NISA in your bank and just use Monex from 2023 onwards. Transferring the 2022 NISA to Monex after you've already used it is not worth the trouble.
cocacola
Regular

Post by cocacola »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:16 am You should leave your 2022 NISA in your bank and just use Monex from 2023 onwards. Transferring the 2022 NISA to Monex after you've already used it is not worth the trouble.
Oh, I thought that only one NISA account can be had, per-person... so, are you saying that I could leave my Regular NISA contribution at my current bank, then open another Regular NISA at Monex?
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

cocacola wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:21 am
zeroshiki wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:16 am You should leave your 2022 NISA in your bank and just use Monex from 2023 onwards. Transferring the 2022 NISA to Monex after you've already used it is not worth the trouble.
Oh, I thought that only one NISA account can be had, per-person... so, are you saying that I could leave my Regular NISA contribution at my current bank, then open another Regular NISA at Monex?
Only One NISA Account in any one Tax Year
:
: